McCarthy gets 1yr extension through 2019 - Was done during season

deltarich87

Things getting even more interesting. Demovsky reporting that we could see some more shakeup among the coaching staff, including on the offensive end with hints at a new OC

There also could be some shake-up on the offensive staff, a source said. The Packers already know they will need a new receivers coach. Luke Getsy left to become the offensive coordinator at Mississippi State, and there could be a significant restructuring of responsibilities on that side of the ball, including a possible change at offensive coordinator, the source said. Edgar Bennett has been the coordinator since 2015. Bennett is a former receivers coach, and there's some consideration to moving him back into that role.

It's becoming more and more clear that McCarthy and Capers are/were the only real football minds in the organization. 

Mac has 100% failed to develop any coaching talent - McAdoo, Philbin both failed, and they were our best guys.

Capers is the same story - some of our position coaches can teach techniques and teach skills, but none of them see the big picture or are learning how to do that. 

Bennett, Moss, Alex Van Pelt... big fat nopes for any position I'd be hiring for. 

Young Jordy, Cobb, Jennings, Jones, older but still somewhat effective Driver, Finley. Yeah, that receiver group was amazing. Offense that put up high 30’s or broke 40 points and did it barely breaking a sweat. 

All that without much at running back too. 

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

It's becoming more and more clear that McCarthy and Capers are/were the only real football minds in the organization. 

Mac has 100% failed to develop any coaching talent - McAdoo, Philbin both failed, and they were our best guys.

Capers is the same story - some of our position coaches can teach techniques and teach skills, but none of them see the big picture or are learning how to do that. 

Bennett, Moss, Alex Van Pelt... big fat nopes for any position I'd be hiring for. 

Lots of NFL coaches fail at being a HC. It doesn't mean MM failed in developing them - it means that they didn't succeed as HCs. Those are two very different things. Many coordinators don't make that leap successfully, and many of the college HCs fail in making that leap as well.

MM and the Packers developed those guys enough to garner HC consideration and to impress front offices during their interviews. It didn't work out. But no coaches have worked out in Miami, so is that an indictment of Philbin or Miami ? The NYGs went all in with an aged and crappy QB and spent a bazillion on defensive FAs. That didn't work out either, but how much of that failure is because MM allegedly didn't develop McAdoo ? Pretty hard to say. I don't think either of those gents are HC material under any circumstances, but I also don't believe that has anything to do with their development in GB or lack thereof.

Therefore, I do not buy your conclusions above. :)

Archived