Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think the chances are better than non-Packers fans want to acknowledge.

Is the general nfl consensus that the Packers were lucky last year? I think we have a very talented team.  I have still been saying that our year is 2025.  We had the youngest team, and somehow got younger a season later.  

My expectations are to compete for the playoffs and the division.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Is the general nfl consensus that the Packers were lucky last year? I think we have a very talented team.  I have still been saying that our year is 2025.  We had the youngest team, and somehow got younger a season later.  

My expectations are to compete for the playoffs and the division.

The majority of non-GB fans that I talk to chalk up GB's success last season to the easy schedule, while ignoring how they looked in the playoffs vs two of the NFC's best teams.

• Like 1

Is it time to drum up the Packers are getting no respect narrative? Vagas has the 49ers as the favorite in the NFC with the group of Lions, Eagles, Cowboys and Packers fairly tightly bunched after that. Play the disrespect card to put a chip on your shoulder if you like, but the money is not disrespecting the Packers.  

• Like 1

I just want a top notch defense that puts real pressure on opposing offenses. I have faith that LaFluer, Steno and Love will take this offensive group up a level. If those two things coincide with good health, why not believe we can dance all the way to New Orleans?

29 minutes ago, R T said:

Is it time to drum up the Packers are getting no respect narrative? Vagas has the 49ers as the favorite in the NFC with the group of Lions, Eagles, Cowboys and Packers fairly tightly bunched after that. Play the disrespect card to put a chip on your shoulder if you like, but the money is not disrespecting the Packers.  

The media loves GB.  It's the other fan bases that are skeptical.  It's only natural.  Many GB fans on this board still don't want to acknowledge that DET is a good team, or that Purdy is a good QB.

As young as we are, the new SB window is opening now. 

3) OL play

2) Defense—although I struggle with how to quantify and qualify this metric.

1) Healthy for the playoffs

Then why not us?

30 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The majority of non-GB fans that I talk to chalk up GB's success last season to the easy schedule, while ignoring how they looked in the playoffs vs two of the NFC's best teams.

If anything, we played to the level of our competition in most games.  We lost to the Raiders, Broncos, and Giants and made Carolina look like a competent opponent.  

22 minutes ago, R T said:

That isn't where I was going with it, I was more curious what the league views this roster as, and how the team will fare this season.  Always take the betting lines on the Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys with a grain of salt.  There are a ton of fans that will always bet on their team, especially these three franchises.  

Leaving injuries out of it, the wildcard for this season will be how well the defense acclimates to the new scheme.  I can't think of many reasons for the offense not to be among the best in the league. If GB fields a top-half defense, the Packers will be a tough matchup for anyone.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 4:04 PM, Packerraymond said:

Color me shocked we just claimed this guy.

I loved Waege in college, he was on a legit NFL path but had some injury issues that derailed that train. I am glad he is still going. He could be a solid depth contributor. I am also glad he decided to bulk up. he was always a tweener size wise and I think he best operates with his hand in the dirt. @Norm should be a fan as I believe Waege is from Brookings.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Leaving injuries out of it, the wildcard for this season will be how well the defense acclimates to the new scheme.  I can't think of many reasons for the offense not to be among the best in the league. If GB fields a top-half defense, the Packers will be a tough matchup for anyone.

It isn't super far fetched to think that Sean Rhyan and Rasheed Walker could revert.  One is a guy that didn't make the team as a rookie, and the other was a seventh round pick, both shared time last season.  But given the results of this coaching group, and that neither have some kind of physical limitation to why they couldn't play well, I don't think it is likely.  It is very unlikely that all of the pass catchers regress.  Then if comes down to Jordan Love.  Bad Jordan Love wasn't that bad, and good Jordan Love was great.  Perhaps he Case Keenumed the second half of last season? But again, is that something we have any evidence for, or is it wishful thinking from rivals?

35 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Perhaps he Case Keenumed the second half of last season? But again, is that something we have any evidence for, or is it wishful thinking from rivals?

Wishful thinking. You could take Case Keenum's career highlights, all the way back to college, and he couldn't put together a sizzle reel anywhere near Love's from the last half of the season alone. People just really wanna breathe in that copium that we didn't just do it again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Wishful thinking. You could take Case Keenum's career highlights, all the way back to college, and he couldn't put together a sizzle reel anywhere near Love's from the last half of the season alone. People just really wanna breathe in that copium that we didn't just do it again.

Man, I’m not on the Love train to the HoF yet, but I’m close. If he comes back this season on fire and his game continues to grow as defenses scheme for him but he has the counter, the guy might just give us a hat trick of HOFers.  For how good that would make Packers fans feel, it would be equally crushing for other fans in the North. I’m ready for this season to start!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

Man, I’m not on the Love train to the HoF yet, but I’m close. If he comes back this season on fire and his game continues to grow as defenses scheme for him but he has the counter, the guy might just give us a hat trick of HOFers.  For how good that would make Packers fans feel, it would be equally crushing for other fans in the North. I’m ready for this season to start!

Yeah, I'm the Love guy here but I'm not even talking HoF because that's just so far out on the horizons that it's just buffoonery to think that far ahead at this point. I'm just saying, nailing 3 straight top 5-10 starting QBs for any stretch of time without any stopgaps in-between is just comical. If Love goes on for a decade+ as our starting QB, I'll be in my near 50s by the time we potentially miss on a QB. I was 6 when Brett Favre took over lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I'm the Love guy here but I'm not even talking HoF because that's just so far out on the horizons that it's just buffoonery to think that far ahead at this point. I'm just saying, nailing 3 straight top 5-10 starting QBs for any stretch of time without any stopgaps in-between is just comical. If Love goes on for a decade+ as our starting QB, I'll be in my near 50s by the time we potentially miss on a QB. I was 6 when Brett Favre took over lol.

I was just getting into high school, Sharpe and the Majik Man were the first guys I really started to watch in middle school as I didn’t watch a ton of sports until I was a tween. I was also a huge Barry Sanders fan because I don’t care what your team is, he was a special player. Just when I started caring about football, low and behold the “Pack is Back” is not just a joke of a rallying cry that it had been for a few decades, but a reality. I would go watch with my friends because my old man and his generation were so pessimistic. They came up in the Lombardi era then watched GB become the Siberia of the NFL for a few decades.

God forbid we ever see a drought like that again, and hopefully the salary cap keeps that from happening to any team, but we have definitely lived through a pretty stellar era of Packer football. I think about guys your age (not much younger than me) who have never known a Packers team that wasn’t competitive even in a down year. If Love grabs the wheel for the next decade +, we all need to make sure we acknowledge the greatness of that. 

• Like 2