Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Man looking at all the content that NFL teams share with their fans about the draft experience, Packers are by far one of the worst. Our social media presence is downright terrible, like it's is run by Murphy himself I feel like, hopefully when he goes we can get rid of the "no one can know what goes on inside Lambeau Field except for when Gute or Matt step to the podium, and Gute and Matt you aren't allowed to share anything up there anyway." 

It isn't like there's some special sauce to scouting/personnel anyway. "we grind tape, watch them live when we can, get relevant background info, then make our best guess at who will be a good player for us. We do have templates and guidelines that we follow, except when we don't".

Plus if some other team wants to know what goes on in your process, they can just hire someone you fired or hire a current employee for a promotion.

I feel like once the draft is complete, all the stuff you need to smokescreen about that draft class becomes irrelevant and it doesn't hurt you to let people know. The only downside is if a negative assessment gets out and some  player uses it as motivation - "oh GREEN BAY thought I was only a 4th round prospect? I'll show them!" 

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Man looking at all the content that NFL teams share with their fans about the draft experience, Packers are by far one of the worst. Our social media presence is downright terrible, like it's is run by Murphy himself I feel like, hopefully when he goes we can get rid of the "no one can know what goes on inside Lambeau Field except for when Gute or Matt step to the podium, and Gute and Matt you aren't allowed to share anything up there anyway." 

I liked your post because it is 100% accurate. But whereas you are griping, I am nodding my head and thinking that this is how I love my team. My favorite bosses have never said a ****ing word that they didn't have to say. Gute is way more forthcoming than Ted was, but even he only sort of politely stipulates to stuff that is sort of obvious. Ted refused to talk about his players out of principle, respecting their privacy. He also refused to talk about other team's players. He also knew how to take a thoughtful question from a reporter and agree that it was indeed a question.

I know that you are mostly speaking to the embarrassment of having a social media presence that suggests that the department has been run by Dominic Gentile's mom since 1956. I think we could have an upgrade, there, sure, and I can even be talked into the idea that a more hip, a more professional social media equals more money from merch and international interest.

But I love the fact that the only dome that Lambeau has is a cone of silence.

"**** you! We're the Packers. We don't have to tell you ****!"

• Like 1

What about the silly questionnaire clips the players answer before they go to practice?? Like "what would you do in the zombie apocalypse?" That's super fun, right guys??? 

Or Larry Mccarrens 3 minute 1:1 interviews where he asks them if a good play felt good to make? That's solid content, right?

As far as alt jerseys though I think we're ok. I like the throwback jersey we had last year, think we could do 2 games in those. Or 1 in the powerballs. Maybe all white aways. But I don't think we need all blacks or God forbid blaze orange for whatever reason people think those would be good.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You know those jet-ski boats?  Why don't they make Motorcycle vans?

Because the public simply isn't ready for that kind of sophistication.

16 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Luxury....I'm in a hole in the riverbank. Every time the river rises I have to hold my breath....

I have an ex that lives there.  Long whiskers on her.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I had noted somewhere in the past couple of days that he was eligible to take part in the rookie minicamp and probably would be the second arm there, but this looks like he will provide legs and not an arm. 

So he is.

https://www.packers.com/team/players-roster/alex-mcgough/

Doesn't make sense to me. He came off an excellent season with the Stallions just last year and used that momentum to land himself a roster spot with the Packers. Why not continue build on that momentum and compete?

Switching to WR kills all that and he's now stuck 10th on the depth chart and he's 28 years old to top it off.

He has a better shot of making the roster as 3rd QB than as 7th WR. The NFL backup QB gig is no joke. One can find himself in nice financially lucrative niche hopping from one backup gig to the next. All he needs is to produce some decent tape, a little bit of luck and BOOM! he finds himself being the next Daniels, Henne, Flynn. Odd to walk away from that ever so slim but yet still possible opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chili said:

So he is.

https://www.packers.com/team/players-roster/alex-mcgough/

Doesn't make sense to me. He came off an excellent season with the Stallions just last year and used that momentum to land himself a roster spot with the Packers. Why not continue build on that momentum and compete?

Switching to WR kills all that and he's now stuck 10th on the depth chart and he's 28 years old to top it off.

He has a better shot of making the roster as 3rd QB than as 7th WR. The NFL backup QB gig is no joke. One can find himself in nice financially lucrative niche hopping from one backup gig to the next. All he needs is to produce some decent tape, a little bit of luck and BOOM! he finds himself being the next Daniels, Henne, Flynn. Odd to walk away from that ever so slim but yet still possible opportunity.

I think you underestimate just how slim that supposed opportunity is.

The guys one thinks of as the Clipboard Jesus-types, the long-term veterans living as eternal backups, they're not #3 on the depth chart, but rather #2. Alex doesn't have that, thanks to Clifford. As for #3, he's about to be muscled out of the picture by another draft pick, one who has a good number of years of youth on him, and as you've seen in years past, On-the-Bubble types trying to cling to a spot on the 53 or even 69 get phased out soon enough by younger talent. Look at what happened to Danny Etling for us.

I think the thought process is Alex might have a bit more value as a WR on the 69 because of his experience playing QB, but it's the sort of move one makes to cling on to the precipice that he'll fall from eventually, maybe as soon as this training camp. But there's a bigger chance to stick around as this as opposed to QB... and we know if this fails he's likely going back to being a QB at a lower level like the UFL, so it's not really a loss all-in-all.