Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Wishful thinking. You could take Case Keenum's career highlights, all the way back to college, and he couldn't put together a sizzle reel anywhere near Love's from the last half of the season alone. People just really wanna breathe in that copium that we didn't just do it again.

I agree.  I am just looking for reasons to doubt the team right now.  Not trying to bring people down, or punch holes in optimism, I am just trying to understand.  We could get to camp and preseason and half the guys decided that they made it and did no work, and we stink.  But there hasn't been any indication that has happened.  

Just like I hope Caleb Williams stinks, because it is the Bears, and that would make me laugh.  But I have no proof that he will be anything, he hasn't played yet.  Packers finished strong, and filled holes on paper.  What else has happened to make people think they won't be good this season?

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What else has happened to make people think they won't be good this season?

Losing Aaron Jones, I suppose? Maybe Josh Jacobs and MarShawn Lloyd aren't enough to overcome the loss of an emotional leader in the locker room? 

I don't know. It's just hope tbh. We weren't supposed to make the playoffs last year and we were 5 minutes from the NFC title game. The reality is, we're right on the doorstep and ahead of the curve. Everyone knows it, they just hope for regression.

12 minutes ago, Refugee said:

God forbid we ever see a drought like that again, and hopefully the salary cap keeps that from happening to any team, but we have definitely lived through a pretty stellar era of Packer football.

The league is set up so that shouldn't happen.  A team shouldn't be bad for more than 4 or 5 seasons, if the front office is doing their jobs correctly.  That is why we have seen the 49ers rebuild like 3 or 4 times, while the Bears, Lions, Rams, Jets, Browns, Cardinals, and Dolphins floundered for like 15 years (or more).  That is why the Packers, Steelers, Ravens, and Chiefs have been mostly good for a long time.  Even the Cowboys, as much crap as they get, do very well when they draft and develop.  But sometimes Jerry can't keep from getting out of his own way and has to make a hotshot move, but they have been mostly good since the 90s.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The league is set up so that shouldn't happen.  A team shouldn't be bad for more than 4 or 5 seasons, if the front office is doing their jobs correctly.  That is why we have seen the 49ers rebuild like 3 or 4 times, while the Bears, Lions, Rams, Jets, Browns, Cardinals, and Dolphins floundered for like 15 years (or more).  That is why the Packers, Steelers, Ravens, and Chiefs have been mostly good for a long time.  Even the Cowboys, as much crap as they get, do very well when they draft and develop.  But sometimes Jerry can't keep from getting out of his own way and has to make a hotshot move, but they have been mostly good since the 90s.

This is also why GB struggled so badly between Lombardi and Wolf.  The Packers FO was a mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I loved Waege in college, he was on a legit NFL path but had some injury issues that derailed that train. I am glad he is still going. He could be a solid depth contributor. I am also glad he decided to bulk up. he was always a tweener size wise and I think he best operates with his hand in the dirt. @Norm should be a fan as I believe Waege is from Brookings.

No no no. Further north. Nesodak.

Rashan has to play up to that contract this year. He is the biggest question mark on our defense for me. Is he a good player, or is he elite? That is probably the difference between reaching the superbowl and a playoff fizzle

22 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Rashan has to play up to that contract this year. He is the biggest question mark on our defense for me. Is he a good player, or is he elite? That is probably the difference between reaching the superbowl and a playoff fizzle

Especially with even year preston. Of course LVN could also just be Him this year. Biggest ? Gotta be Safety ILB for me. We've put resources there, but it's gonna be 90% new faces.

46 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Especially with even year preston. Of course LVN could also just be Him this year. Biggest ? Gotta be Safety ILB for me. We've put resources there, but it's gonna be 90% new faces.

I get that, but i think those guys eat if rashan pops off. If he doesnt, they wont have a chance

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I get that, but i think those guys eat if rashan pops off. If he doesnt, they wont have a chance

If we stagnate and get comparable production from last year we're a top 1/3rd pressure team off bottom 1/3rd unblocked chances.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-how-defensive-pressure-defined-the-2023-nfl-season

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If we stagnate and get comparable production from last year we're a top 1/3rd pressure team off bottom 1/3rd unblocked chances.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-how-defensive-pressure-defined-the-2023-nfl-season

I dont have any stats to support this but my hunch is that a lot of that success was when it didnt matter very much

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I dont have any stats to support this but my hunch is that a lot of that success was when it didnt matter very much

I think you're being overly harsh. 

We were 10th in the league In Points Against per Game (I know the Advanced Stats were notably worse). 

That doesn't happen by accident. Look at the secondary we played last year. 

Either the Defensive front played well enough to hide A LOT of issues, or we made a horrendous mistake moving on from our DC. 

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think you're being overly harsh. 

We were 10th in the league In Points Against per Game (I know the Advanced Stats were notably worse). 

That doesn't happen by accident. Look at the secondary we played last year. 

Either the Defensive front played well enough to hide A LOT of issues, or we made a horrendous mistake moving on from our DC. 

I agree the defense had some high points and Barry was an easy scapegoat but didn’t do as badly as sensationalized. At the same time,  we were not a top notch defensive team. There were pretty obviously some behind the scenes issues with players and eventually coaches and management. If Hafley can’t bring this unit up to above average, it could be a horrendous mistake but there are some real reasons for optimism with him. 

• Like 1

I assume it was the NYG/TAM/CAR stretch of games that (deservedly) cost Barry his job.  The defense stabilized after CAR, but by then it was too late.  MLF was obviously frustrated with the defense, and nothing short of a SB run was going to save Barry's job.

• Like 1