Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Actually he was asked this question.  Said he's more likely to retire after a Superbowl win than a loss.  Go figure.  Main point was as long as he's having fun and playing at a high level he'll continue playing.  Well he's having fun and playing at a high level with no sign of drop off.  He'll be back next year and most likely with the Packers.  

Here's how badly I want to win the SB: I'll gladly watch 12 retire so we can start Love, Benkert or whoever else they want in 2022. Just get it done this season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Here's how badly I want to win the SB: I'll gladly watch 12 retire so we can start Love, Benkert or whoever else they want in 2022. Just get it done this season. 

That would be perfect.  Rodgers and the Packers win it all .. he gets shipped to Denver for several top picks/players .. Packers move onto Love .. Love becomes a hit in GB and we dominate the North for another decade.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Interpretation: If we lose at home again to Tampa or anyone else, I'm leaving." 

I think it's that simple. I think Rodgers staying is tied to the team at least getting to, if not winning, the SB. Don't think Rodgers can stomach another NFCCG loss and he'll want to move on. 

I think it is winning. We can't retain everyone and likely will lose more than we can replace. Put another way, this is his last, best shot with the Packers and he knows it. If it doesn't happen, he's gone. 

BTW, as eccentric as he is, retirement is not out of the question. At least for a year which would be really foolish at his age. 

Edited by Old Guy

Anyone else find it laughable that Trevon Diggs got 33 votes (most of any CB)? Has anyone watched him play? If he doesn't get an INT, he's literally one of the worst starting CBs in the league. Guy is toast every other play. 

Have to believe that had Rasul played the full season in GB, and played the first half the way he did the second half, he would have gotten some All Pro votes. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Have to believe that had Rasul played the full season in GB, and played the first half the way he did the second half, he would have gotten some All Pro votes. 

Just as glad he didnt get any AP votes as they'd probably guarantee we couldnt afford him going forward.

I agree with all the comments here. 

1. If the packers were to actually win it all in this all-in year, I'd be totally good to have Rodgers elect to move on.  Just win it this year, and let the future take care of itself.  
  2. If as ghost says that enables a trade to restock, perhaps the rebuild won't be bad or slow?  Win-win?
  3. Agree with Score, a guy works and fights so long and hard to win one, what an affirmation and sense of accomplishment it would be to actually win the Super Bowl.  To achieve what you've been pursuing for over a decade, how fulfilling that would be.  Retirement seems MUCH more plausible following a hypothetical Super Bowl victory than in its absence.  I'd not be surprised at all to see retirement follow a Super Bowl triumph. 
  4. That said, the guy loves competing and playing football, and he loves the friendships and impact that he is able to make as a mentor and leader.  So I think he'll probably want to play some more.  Even in the unlikely event that they do win it.  

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Anyone else find it laughable that Trevon Diggs got 33 votes (most of any CB)? Has anyone watched him play? If he doesn't get an INT, he's literally one of the worst starting CBs in the league. Guy is toast every other play. 

Regarding Diggs, think how frustrated McCarthy must get watching him play?  Moments of exhilaration followed by long stretches of heartburn and annoyance.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Regarding Diggs, think how frustrated McCarthy must get watching him play?  Moments of exhilaration followed by long stretches of heartburn and annoyance.

I mean, I've watched him play a few times the last few weeks because Dallas has been on. He's basically Kevin King but with good ball skills. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Diggs is a gambler, he'll win you games and cost you games.  Leads the NFL in picks and also leads the NFL in yards given up.   If we play Dallas,  I'll take my chances with Rodgers in that matchup with Diggs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, craig said:

I agree with all the comments here. 

1. If the packers were to actually win it all in this all-in year, I'd be totally good to have Rodgers elect to move on.  Just win it this year, and let the future take care of itself.  
  2. If as ghost says that enables a trade to restock, perhaps the rebuild won't be bad or slow?  Win-win?
  3. Agree with Score, a guy works and fights so long and hard to win one, what an affirmation and sense of accomplishment it would be to actually win the Super Bowl.  To achieve what you've been pursuing for over a decade, how fulfilling that would be.  Retirement seems MUCH more plausible following a hypothetical Super Bowl victory than in its absence.  I'd not be surprised at all to see retirement follow a Super Bowl triumph. 
  4. That said, the guy loves competing and playing football, and he loves the friendships and impact that he is able to make as a mentor and leader.  So I think he'll probably want to play some more.  Even in the unlikely event that they do win it.  

Rodgers could also pull an Elway and go for the repeat.  Who knows - just win this year and most folks will be satisfied regardless of what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Diggs is a gambler, he'll win you games and cost you games.  Leads the NFL in picks and also leads the NFL in yards given up.   If we play Dallas,  I'll take my chances with Rodgers in that matchup with Diggs.

I mean Adams would wreck him. 

By the way, a common narrative is that the salary cap is so bad and the Packers have been so all-in, that *IF* Rodgers did come back, that the team would fall apart and have no chance.  I'm not sure I believe that's actually true.  This year they got the bye, despite losing Jaire, Jenkins, Z, Bakhti, Tonyan.  There are still a lot of good players on this team.  If they came back without Adams, but otherwise with a full stronger o-line, I think Rodgers and MLF would still have a very plausible pathway to an excellent division-winning offense.  

Defense could be harder, assuming you'd lose all four of Z, King, Rasul, and Campbell.  But who knows, maybe they'd find a way to retain Campbell; Jaire could replace Rasul; and they won 13 games without Z anyway.  

So I'm not convinced that *if* you were able to hypothetically bring Rodgers back, that the cap-necessitated absences would be any worse than the Z-Bakhti-Jaire-Jenkins ansences of this year.  I think they might still be very competitive... *IF* Rodgers came back.  

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Rodgers could also pull an Elway and go for the repeat.  Who knows - just win this year and most folks will be satisfied regardless of what happens.

He could, but even if Rodgers signs a team friendly contract, this team wont have the horses it has this year.  Big cuts will have to be made.  Enjoy this year.