Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, R T said:

This is a surprise, the Packers have designated Whitney Mercilus to return from the IR.

Never heard of a guy coming back from a torn biceps that quickly.  Huh.  These guys can feel it and want to be part of the Superbowl run.  Huge upgrade getting him a Z back.  Damn almost at full strength.  

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Never heard of a guy coming back from a torn biceps that quickly.  Huh.  These guys can feel it and want to be part of the Superbowl run.  Huge upgrade getting him a Z back.  Damn almost at full strength.  

Mercilus signed here to win a SB. Could just be an issue of functionality and with a brace on his arm (which I'm assuming he'll use), he may have been a big part in the decision to get back out there ahead of a typical timeline. 

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Mercilus signed here to win a SB. Could just be an issue of functionality and with a brace on his arm (which I'm assuming he'll use), he may have been a big part in the decision to get back out there ahead of a typical timeline. 

That and pain management.

He suffered a muscle tear and had surgery - but as with most Packer injuries, the severity of the tear never became public (or I missed it entirely).

Btw....I *really like* these NFL IR rules. I hope they keep them.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Who would be the bigger asset for the playoffs if you could magically heal one ACL, Jenkins or Tonyan? Jenkins is the better player but I also think we're better equipped on the OL to absorb his loss over Tonyan...

Seeing what Tampa/SF did to us this last 2 years is Jenkins by a wide margin.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Seeing what Tampa/SF did to us this last 2 years is Jenkins by a wide margin.

32 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Agreed! The Jenkins loss was a huge hit.

Tyler Davis is Robert Tonyan. 

If you look at the guys we have now, we are in better shape than anybody in the playoffs from a health standpoint. No complaints and no excuses this year. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Who would be the bigger asset for the playoffs if you could magically heal one ACL, Jenkins or Tonyan? Jenkins is the better player but I also think we're better equipped on the OL to absorb his loss over Tonyan...

Tonyan is a bit overrated. As long as our WRs stay healthy, we won't miss him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

^do you know if that stat is combining right and left guards?  Because the worst starter in that case would be 64th.  Making Newman our weak link, but serviceable. Just a thought.

Must be both.  For a rookie that's not bad at all.

Nijman's run blocking stats are insane though - is he that good a run blocker ?   6th best in all tackles in the NFL. Can't do it for the playoffs but looking at that, have to find a way of seeing if he can play RT next season.

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

Must be both.  For a rookie that's not bad at all.

Nijman's run blocking stats are insane though - is he that good a run blocker ?   6th best in all tackles in the NFL. Can't do it for the playoffs but looking at that, have to find a way of seeing if he can play RT next season.

Here's an idea:   Let's play two left tackles.  Tell other teams pass rushers are only allowed to come from the left side

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Must be both.  For a rookie that's not bad at all. Nijman's run blocking stats are insane though - is he that good a run blocker ?   6th best in all tackles in the NFL. Can't do it for the playoffs but looking at that, have to find a way of seeing if he can play RT next season.

Do we know what (or how many) position(s) Nijman played in college? Has he ever played RT?