Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

At VT he was a defensive tackle, then a developmental/backup left tackle, then a starting right tackle.

Hmmmm. I knew none of this. Dont know how he'll fair at RT....but its a good problem to have capable OT's.

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

Must be both.  For a rookie that's not bad at all.

Nijman's run blocking stats are insane though - is he that good a run blocker ?   6th best in all tackles in the NFL. Can't do it for the playoffs but looking at that, have to find a way of seeing if he can play RT next season.

In a less smart-assey response than the last one, I don't recall seeing any runs where I thought, "Nijman really blew that one up," this season.  Perhaps Yosh gets a shot to compete for RT starter next off season?

30 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

In a less smart-assey response than the last one, I don't recall seeing any runs where I thought, "Nijman really blew that one up," this season.  Perhaps Yosh gets a shot to compete for RT starter next off season?

Watch the Rams game for some reason I turned it on yesterday and I was quickly reminded that Nijman absolutely destroyed Arron Donald. I bet his defensive background gives him a little bit of familiarity in a sense to what he is comfortable with and that would be driving off the ball and attacking someone.

or did you mean blew that one up in a bad way?

5 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Watch the Rams game for some reason I turned it on yesterday and I was quickly reminded that Nijman absolutely destroyed Arron Donald. I bet his defensive background gives him a little bit of familiarity in a sense to what he is comfortable with and that would be driving off the ball and attacking someone.

or did you mean blew that one up in a bad way?

I meant in a bad way.  Like, I am not recalling Nijman being some amazing mauler.  But at the same time, I don't think he ruined any runs, or at least not any more than anyone else ever does.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yes.  He switched from LT to RT in 2018 at Virginia Tech.

Man oh man .. the Packers have done a job with Nijman.  He was about as raw as they come .. terrible technique .. the fact that Steno and the boys turned him into something is fantastic.  I think we need to see that Steno doesn't get away.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/yosuah-nijman

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Man or man .. the Packers have done a job with Nijman.  He was about as raw as they come .. terrible technique .. the fact that Steno and the boys turned him into something is fantastic.  I think we need to see that Steno doesn't get away.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/yosuah-nijman

Agreed that Nijman and Steno get tons of credit for the leaps and bounds taken by the youngster. Will be a huge asset if we can become an Oline factory. Philly also has a great O line coach and deep talent, it shows in their run game. 

Outside of making him an OC I don’t know that Steno would leave, I don’t see him leaving in a lateral move. He is a GB guy and if you need to add an extra title to honor his contributions, so be it. 

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I meant in a bad way.  Like, I am not recalling Nijman being some amazing mauler.  But at the same time, I don't think he ruined any runs, or at least not any more than anyone else ever does.  

Nijman is a really good down blocker and a below average reach and second level blocker. He's had a couple plays on the goal line where he's put respectable 3Ts on skates.

He's basically the opposite of Bakhtiari and the stereotypical LT. But with his athleticism you would expect the more quickness demanding blocks to come in time as he figures out the technique and gets the reps. 

• Like 1

I am genuinely confused how someone has Brady let alone anyone any other QB over Rodgers for MVP.

What the hell am I missing?

Down to 4 back ups on the offensive line.

Tonyan out for the season in week 7.
No one is scared of out WRs outside of Davante 

Brady threw the ball almost  200 times more (35% more throwing attempts).

And only put up 1200 more yards, 6 more TDs, and 8 more INTs with a MUCH greater WR group (3 HOF potentially 4 players - Evans, Gronk, AB, Godwin). 

Our running game is  averaging the same YPC at 4.3 and Fournette was clearly a  great receiving back this year. That's not an excuse. 

Rodgers- 

Yards  - 4115 YPA- 7.7     Comp. % - 0.689 TDs- 37 INTs - 4

Brady - 

Yards - 5316  YPA - 7.4     Comp. % - 0.675 TDs- 43  INTs - 12  

PackersWire - 8 PFF stats to know from Green Bay Packers 2021 season

Time to throw:   2.59 seconds, or the time it took on average from snap to throw for Aaron Rodgers in 2021. It was the fastest time to throw average of his starting career with the Packers, and a big reason why the offensive line survived so many injuries. The MVP favorite played fast and decisively from the pocket in Matt LaFleur’s scheme.

Pressures:   249 pressures, or the amount created by the quartet of Rashan Gary (81), Kenny Clark (64), Preston Smith (62) and Dean Lowry (42). The Packers were the only team in the NFL with two interior rushers producing at least 40 pressures and two edge rushers producing at least 60 pressures. The Packers had only 251 total pressures as a team all of last season.

Missed tackles:   93 missed tackles, or the total amount from the Packers defense over 17 games. The group had 132 over 16 games last season. The Packers finished with the NFL’s second-best tackling grade overall in 2021. De’Vondre Campbell missed only four tackles and led all linebackers with a 2.9 missed tackle percentage.

Yards after contact:  1,368 yards, or the amount the Packers rushed for after first contact in 2021. The Packers rushed for 1,900 yards total, so the talents of the running backs produced a huge chunk. Overall, the Packers ranked 23rd in run-blocking grade, but both A.J. Dillon and Aaron Jones averaged 3.18 yards after first contact. Overall, runners forced 81 missed tackles.

Clean pockets:   123.7, or Aaron Rodgers’ passer rating from a clean pocket. He once again led all qualified quarterbacks in the statistic. Overall, he completed 77 percent of passes, averaged 8.5 yards per attempt and threw 29 touchdown passes and one interception from clean pockets. Rodgers was under pressure on just 26.0 percent of dropbacks, the third-lowest among quarterbacks.

Drops:   17, or the total number of passes dropped by Packers pass-catchers this season. They dropped 30 last season. Davante Adams had only four on 166 total targets. Allen Lazard (3) and Aaron Jones (4) weren’t perfect, but Marcedes Lewis, Randall Cobb and Marquez Valdes-Scantling were (0 drops on 114 targets).

CB upgrade:  28, or the number of forced incompletions or interceptions by Packers cornerbacks Eric Stokes and Rasul Douglas in 2021. Together, they gave up a passer rating below 70.0 when targeted in coverage, providing a big reason why the Packers defense played well despite not having Jaire Alexander. Kevin King and Chandon Sullivan had only 11 forced incompletions or interceptions as the No. 2 and 3 cornerbacks last season.

Deep ball:   27, or the number of “big time throws” Aaron Rodgers produced on throws of 20 or more yards in the air. He had 40 in 2020. His number of touchdown passes on deep throws fell from 14 in 2020 to just 7 in 2021. Some early accuracy issues and not having Marquez Valdes-Scantling for a big chunk of the season contributed.

NFL Rumors -  Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers on the Pat McAfee Show this week: "I think I'll know where I'm at when the final game ends.. I'll take some time to contemplate and make a decision without wasting too much time.”

///

Interpretation:  "I pretty much know what I'm gonna do already and wont take too long letting others know."

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

NFL Rumors -  Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers on the Pat McAfee Show this week: "I think I'll know where I'm at when the final game ends.. I'll take some time to contemplate and make a decision without wasting too much time.”

///

Interpretation:  "I pretty much know what I'm gonna do already and wont take too long letting others know."

Interpretation: If we lose at home again to Tampa or anyone else, I'm leaving." 

I think it's that simple. I think Rodgers staying is tied to the team at least getting to, if not winning, the SB. Don't think Rodgers can stomach another NFCCG loss and he'll want to move on. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think it's that simple. I think Rodgers staying is tied to the team at least getting to, if not winning, the SB. Don't think Rodgers can stomach another NFCCG loss and he'll want to move on. 

Could be......but all the other stuff that he was supposedly considering.....I think that's all been defined, calculated, quantified and decided upon already.

Flip side......I dont think he (or any other player) would seriously consider leaving a top/top tier team and organization that continually has gotten on to the *big stage* - simply because he/they cant get over that last hump - IF - said organization wasnt facing cap hell (or roster reductions mandated by the cap) and he could secure top dollar.

Not trying to open a can of worms here....but there's certain aspects to this situation that could be viewed as AR leaving GB holding the bag (so to speak). NOLA's living thru that now - difference is Drew Brees retired - which I dont personally think is on AR's radar screen - just as I dont see him offering a "team / cap / roster friendly" deal to GB - but nobody knows at this juncture but AR.

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  Preston Smith took a $4M pay cut to come back to the Packers in 2021. He could have earned up to $5.65M back based on his 2021 performance.

He earned...
2021 sack incentives: $1.25M of $4.4M
2022 sack & Pro Bowl escalators: $0 of $1.25M

...for a net $2.75M cut in pay.

The $1.25M of sack incentives earned will hit the 2022 salary cap as a top line cap adjustment - meaning this is not something which can be restructured or pushed into future years.

Edited by Leader

30 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Actually he was asked this question.  Said he's more likely to retire after a Superbowl win than a loss.  Go figure.  Main point was as long as he's having fun and playing at a high level he'll continue playing.  Well he's having fun and playing at a high level with no sign of drop off.  He'll be back next year and most likely with the Packers.