Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

18 minutes ago, OzPackfan said:

If Rodgers comes back and signs a 2 year extension then its 2 years on top of the 1 he has left, not including the one he has left.

Any bottoming out will be in 2025 not 2024

I've been mostly operating under the assumption that he would retire after two since the team would start falling apart to keep him for the third. Might even be a trade candidate at that point if he comes back. I only see him actually playing two more for us but that third year is indeed possible.

11 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Bottoming out shouldn't be an option.  If you think 'void' years are an answer because we'll bottom out and then miraculously have money and draft capital?  I think you're wrong. 

We still have enough young defensive talent so we will be lost in the middle teens of the draft and not making the playoffs.  Signing Rodgers and Adams without winning the SB will turn us into the Vikings.  You know...those guys who NEVER get to a SB?!?

This is a bad idea.  All in was last year, we took our shot and blew it.  Now it's just desperation.

I don't know about that, our team is actually very reliant on older, established talent right now. In 2024 many of them may be less effective or cut/traded to make space. We'll have a few stars left like Jaire and possibly Gary, but it's not a stretch to imagine that the team could fall apart for a season or two after Rodgers leaves.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

$19M/year is low-ball money?  Jalen Ramsey got 5 years, $100M with a $25M signing bonus.  Marshon Lattimore got 5 years, $97.6M with a $7.5M signing bonus.  Marlon Humphrey got 5 years, $97.5M with a $20M signing bonus.  Tre'Davious White got 4 years, $69M with a $10.5M signing bonus.

Tre white got stiffed, nice comparisons for Jaire there. 

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Bottoming out shouldn't be an option.  If you think 'void' years are an answer because we'll bottom out and then miraculously have money and draft capital?  I think you're wrong. 

We still have enough young defensive talent so we will be lost in the middle teens of the draft and not making the playoffs.  Signing Rodgers and Adams without winning the SB will turn us into the Vikings.  You know...those guys who NEVER get to a SB?!?

This is a bad idea.  All in was last year, we took our shot and blew it.  Now it's just desperation.

When you push money out as we have the last 2 years, there will need to be at least 1 year where things catch up and we have to take our medicine. 

We should be able to structure most deals to keep 95% of the team around for 2 more years and then take some hits in 2024 and some in 2025 (obviously dependent on cap numbers with new TV money). The key to minimizing the impact is to draft well every year from here on in

If a SB can be delivered whilst doing this then great, if not its one year of going 5-12 and then having a top 10 draft pick for a QB in the 2026 draft

Edited by OzPackfan
  • Like 1

e4Rjg5rK_400x400.jpg

Ramsen Golpashin played OL for the Oregon Ducks but he had a very nondescript college career but he was part of the team who went 12-1 and lost the National Championship game in 2010 and then the following year went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl. He graduated in 2011 which assuming he was 21 at the time would make him around 32 years old now. 

He earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration in 2011 while also earning his MBA in sports business in 2012.

It looks like he started off his coaching career at his hometown Saugus High School (Santa Clara, CA) in 2013

In 2014 he coached the OL with the College of the Canyons (Santa Clara, CA)

In 2015 he joined Hawaii University as a Graduate Assistant to assist with the OL. The OL coach was Chris Naeole, a former NFL 1st round pick who had a 12 year NFL career.

In 2016 he went back to the Oregon Ducks as a Offensive Graduate Assistant Coach under Head Coach Mark Helfrich and OL Coach Steve Greatwood both whom he played under. The OL featured Jake Hanson who blocked for Justin Herbert and Royce Freeman.

In 2017 he joined Cal Golden Bears as Offensive Quality Control following OL coach Steve Greatwood to work under Head Coach Justin Wilcox who also happens to have strong Oregon connections. They also had Beau Baldwin as their offensive coordinator who previously showed success as a head coach with Eastern Washington.

In 2018 after Steve Greatwood's retirement he joined UCLA as a graduate assistant coach to work under Chip Kelly, his Oregon Ducks Head Coach from when he was a player. He assisted OL coach Justin Frye and together they contributed a quite a formidable running game with RB Joshua Kelly breaking records. Frye is now the AHC/RB coach at Ohio State.

I found an old article from 2019 which implies he was still the OL assistant and using the way back machine to look at his UCLA profile which is no longer available it looks like he made the switch to Defensive Analyst in 2020 which I found somewhat strange but perhaps it helped develop a more rounded perspective for him.

In 2022 he finally joins Green Bay as an Offensive QC.

Looking at his history it's clear his background is firmly in the no-huddle spread option cultivated by Chip Kelly, Mark Helfrich and Steve Greatwood. He played in it and coached in it. He has worked under a good array of established coaches but this time he will be learning a completely new offensive system under LaFleur and Stenavich. After 4 years under Chip Kelly he was stagnating a bit so it will be good for him to move outside his comfort zone away from Oregon guys and the no-huddle spread offense because there's a lot of NFL teams with Shanahan and McVay style offenses looking for new coaches every year and if it all works out he could land a position coach gig within 4 years and cultivate a new network of contacts in the process.

It makes sense for LaFleur to hire a OQC with an OL background because if Stenavich ever becomes a head coach there's a chance he may take Butkus with him so LaFleur would need someone on his staff who has an OL background.

He had two OQC last season so it's possible he will hire one more, perhaps someone with a TE or QB background.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, craig said:

As Nowacrat as Gute is and has recently been, it's not like he's traded away high draft picks.  Stokes and Myers, a terrific player and a solid starter, and Newman too.  Love-Dillon-Deguara; got one good player at least there, and Love and Deguara aren't closed books yet.  Gary-Savage-Jenkins.

Deguara's rate #s were surprisingly good....or at least in the neighborhood of Folk Hero Robert Tonyan. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Deguara's rate #s were surprisingly good....or at least in the neighborhood of Folk Hero Robert Tonyan. 

Yeah, I'm still hopeful that he can become useful.  But I do think he'll need to catch better.  My qualitative recall is that he only caught a couple of balls more than 5 yards from scrimmage; most of his catches were easy wide-open short passes where he wasn't covered.  Only a couple of not-so-easy targets beyond 5 yards, and he dropped at least three of them that I can recall.  (I only recall like one semi-contested catch beyond 5 yards, but I may have missed a couple.).  

Perhaps the drops were just small sample size, and he'll catch the next dozen, beats me.  I sure hope so, and that would sure help a passing game that is shy on guys you can throw to. 

That 62 yard TD helped his stats, that was 1/4 of his total yards, and jumped his ypc from 7.6 to 9.8.  My understanding is that he's a nice ST guy and is a good movement blocker for some plays,, and is a nice try-hard good-effort guy.  So I'm sure the coaches would love it if he emerged into a useful pass-catcher.  

The game in London should be against an otherwise insignificant opponent.

The games against teams that made the playoffs should be primetime games.

Let's bring the Bears rivalry to London perhaps. It's about time a home game against the Bears air on a network other than NBC.

7 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

When you push money out as we have the last 2 years, there will need to be at least 1 year where things catch up and we have to take our medicine. 

We should be able to structure most deals to keep 95% of the team around for 2 more years and then take some hits in 2024 and some in 2025 (obviously dependent on cap numbers with new TV money). The key to minimizing the impact is to draft well every year from here on in

If a SB can be delivered whilst doing this then great, if not its one year of going 5-12 and then having a top 10 draft pick for a QB in the 2026 draft

No.

9 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

Get used to it because it looks like what is happening.....

The eventual fallout will be bad. Either you basically gut the team or you are playing behind the 8 ball because you keep borrowing from future caps. One big miss on those deals hurt. Imagine a Cletidus Hunt situation. This is why I'd never consider extending Z. If he continues to have health issues you are double screwed.

Which is why it's a massive fail to do it and not win a ring.

Edited by spilltray

42 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The eventual fallout will be bad. Either you basically gut the team or you are playing behind the 8 ball because you keep borrowing from future caps. One big miss on those deals hurt. Imagine a Cletidus Hunt situation. This is why I'd never consider extending Z. If he continues to have health issues you are double screwed.

Which is why it's a massive fail to do it and not win a ring.

I think it's impossible to predict such futures right now. I've never, ever seen a team actually get completely hamstrung for multiple seasons by the cap. Not once not ever. With the cap still predicted to go up over the next few years, even a $50m a year extension will look like peanuts for an elite QB within 5 years.

What happens this offseason will open up an entire spiders web worth of possibilities in the future. Maybe extending Rodgers sends us down a Detroit Lions level of ineptitude for the next 50 years. Maybe trading him does. Either way - we have a bird in the hand. Why wouldn't we go for it?

Edited by Sandy

16 hours ago, Chili said:

e4Rjg5rK_400x400.jpg

Ramsen Golpashin played OL for the Oregon Ducks but he had a very nondescript college career but he was part of the team who went 12-1 and lost the National Championship game in 2010 and then the following year went 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl. He graduated in 2011 which assuming he was 21 at the time would make him around 32 years old now. 

He earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration in 2011 while also earning his MBA in sports business in 2012.

It looks like he started off his coaching career at his hometown Saugus High School (Santa Clara, CA) in 2013

In 2014 he coached the OL with the College of the Canyons (Santa Clara, CA)

In 2015 he joined Hawaii University as a Graduate Assistant to assist with the OL. The OL coach was Chris Naeole, a former NFL 1st round pick who had a 12 year NFL career.

In 2016 he went back to the Oregon Ducks as a Offensive Graduate Assistant Coach under Head Coach Mark Helfrich and OL Coach Steve Greatwood both whom he played under. The OL featured Jake Hanson who blocked for Justin Herbert and Royce Freeman.

In 2017 he joined Cal Golden Bears as Offensive Quality Control following OL coach Steve Greatwood to work under Head Coach Justin Wilcox who also happens to have strong Oregon connections. They also had Beau Baldwin as their offensive coordinator who previously showed success as a head coach with Eastern Washington.

In 2018 after Steve Greatwood's retirement he joined UCLA as a graduate assistant coach to work under Chip Kelly, his Oregon Ducks Head Coach from when he was a player. He assisted OL coach Justin Frye and together they contributed a quite a formidable running game with RB Joshua Kelly breaking records. Frye is now the AHC/RB coach at Ohio State.

I found an old article from 2019 which implies he was still the OL assistant and using the way back machine to look at his UCLA profile which is no longer available it looks like he made the switch to Defensive Analyst in 2020 which I found somewhat strange but perhaps it helped develop a more rounded perspective for him.

In 2022 he finally joins Green Bay as an Offensive QC.

Looking at his history it's clear his background is firmly in the no-huddle spread option cultivated by Chip Kelly, Mark Helfrich and Steve Greatwood. He played in it and coached in it. He has worked under a good array of established coaches but this time he will be learning a completely new offensive system under LaFleur and Stenavich. After 4 years under Chip Kelly he was stagnating a bit so it will be good for him to move outside his comfort zone away from Oregon guys and the no-huddle spread offense because there's a lot of NFL teams with Shanahan and McVay style offenses looking for new coaches every year and if it all works out he could land a position coach gig within 4 years and cultivate a new network of contacts in the process.

It makes sense for LaFleur to hire a OQC with an OL background because if Stenavich ever becomes a head coach there's a chance he may take Butkus with him so LaFleur would need someone on his staff who has an OL background.

He had two OQC last season so it's possible he will hire one more, perhaps someone with a TE or QB background.

Chili>>>>>>AG

• Like 1