Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. ...It's primarily driven by .... lost fumbles...

2. ...Statistically there is an advantage to non touchback kickoffs. ...

5. Not about yards, it's about Turnovers.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I'd guess the ever-present " illegal block in the back" penalties play a role in net outcome as well.

Thanks, Alex and Shanedorf. 

1. The fumble factor is very helpful, I hadn't processed that in my thinking.  Yeah, if yardage is insignificant, but it gives you advantage in terms of fumble-opportunity, then it's worth doing. 
  2. This also reminds me of the memorable Malik Taylor play.  Dashed over to grab a bouncing kick and steps out of bounds at the 2, instead of getting the ball at the 25 or 35 or whatever....  Receiving teams can make mistakes.
  3. Shane, your block-in-back penalties note is also well taken.   Alex mentions that it's about turnovers not yards.  But if a block-in-the-back inside the 20 starts a team inside the 10, the yards can matter, too.  
  4. Alex, did your "red" positioning already factor in penalties to opponents? 
  5. Alex, in terms of yardage, even apart from turnovers, league-wide stats show that on average non-touchback kickoffs do typically start at less than the 25, correct?   

Helpful and informative discussion, guys, thanks for the help.  Whoever said football discussions don't impact anybody's thinking!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Still in the boat of a kicker is a kicker and if you got one you keep them.

I can’t think of a single clutch last minute field goal Crosby has missed in his career.

I’m sure he’s had at least one, but I can’t think of one, so it must not have been in a huge game.

Did you watch the Bengals game last year??

Talk about embarrassing.  He hooked a whopping 36 yards that would have sealed it after Campbell got an INT and we were around the yard line.

But, he did finally get one through the uprights in OT for the win after he whiffed a last second 50 yarder that would have one it.

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Regardless of what anyone thinks or the statistics say, the Packers decided that the biggest issue with Crosby was how the ball was placed in front of his foot last year. If they thought he was the problem he would have been cut and Bojo would have been kept. They gave up a draft pick for a punter. They didn't do that without thinking he'd be around long term. Figured they could coach him up as a holder. He proved to be awful at it. For a team that wants to win now, they figure Crosby is still the guy who hit 92% and 100% of his FGs in 2019 and 2020. Basically they're blaming his 73.5% on FGs last year on Bojo not being able to catch and spin the snap.

Which is retarded. 

Crosby is a career 81% kicker. 

Acting like 2018/2021 is the outlier and not 2019/2020 is to wildly ignore the rest of the man's career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FAH1223 said:

Rasul wanted to stay and was willing to wait. Packer for life!

Yah that's great.  He'll be a good Packer.  Like his swag.  Already a fan favorite.  Thought we would get one of Campbell or Douglas but not both.  This is awesome.  Now use some of the cap space and bring in Hicks for the D line.  Defense fixed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yah that's great.  He'll be a good Packer.  Like his swag.  Already a fan favorite.  Thought we would get one of Campbell or Douglas but not both.  This is awesome.  Now use some of the cap space and bring in Hicks for the D line.  Defense fixed. 

Hicks has been injured a lot the last few years. I think he's broken down. How about Fletcher Cox? 

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The board has slowed down the last 30 minutes. Stay tuned for a flood of mock drafts incoming with the new draft capital in hand. 

Looking forward to them!  4 picks in top 60 is pretty frickin sweet and want to see what forum posters ideas for those picks are.