Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

27 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I caught a clip yesterday of Tom Pelissero saying the Packers have been making calls around the league in regards to lining up a deal for another receiver.  I wonder what they have their sights on .. wonder if they will be surprising us with a fairly significant addition in the very near future.  

This is kind of what I'm expecting. This draft has a lot of WR's that are going to be on rosters for years to come, but IMO doesn't have many that move the needle for the Packers in 2022 unless we are talking about as a returner.  

35 minutes ago, R T said:

This is kind of what I'm expecting. This draft has a lot of WR's that are going to be on rosters for years to come, but IMO doesn't have many that move the needle for the Packers in 2022 unless we are talking about as a returner.  

True.

But I see a lot of WR's with athletic traits to become #1's in the league.  They just aren't totally there yet.  

There were 8 WR's taken before 'Vante in his draft.  Paul Richardson, Jordan Matthews, Marquisse Lee, Kelvin Benjamin, Cooks, OBJ, Evans and Watkins.

Evans is still a stud, Cooks is, dare I say, almost criminally underrated.  And those other guys may have flashed some then faded away.

The key to this WR class is identifying who has "it" to be a lead dog.  In 'Vante's case, he has the quickness/acceleration and the mind.  I think the football IQ is pretty big in a prospect.  Identify who has the brain and the drive to be great and let the selections happen.

To me, the difference in this draft compared to the 'Vante one is the lack of the "lead dog" WR.  Like Evans and to some extent Watkins (coming out).  I hope that it isn't Olave who is overdrafted because there isn't a top tier WR this year.

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree with the Greek letter guy.  I just am not seeing top prospect with Drake London.  

Allen Lazard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN80IjNd5w8

Drake London https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqMi9KNu7MA

Rick Astley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5oeWHngDS4

Not that he isn't going to be good.  I just don't see the difference between first rounder and UDFA in that tape.  And I can't help but think part of it is that one went to Iowa State while the other went to USC.  But I guess my opinion and a dollar will get you, well, what does a dollar buy now?

Lazard being a success is a strong argument for Drake. Same for guys like Michael Pittman and Tee Higgins. 

We've seen that body type can really play. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lazard being a success is a strong argument for Drake. Same for guys like Michael Pittman and Tee Higgins. 

We've seen that body type can really play. 

I watched like 1 minute of Drake film.  Instantly knew he was a fit for us and that I didn't like him because he wasn't "flashy".  And I want my WR's to be flashy.

But yah, he fits what we do.  100%.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I watched like 1 minute of Drake film.  Instantly knew he was a fit for us and that I didn't like him because he wasn't "flashy".  And I want my WR's to be flashy.

But yah, he fits what we do.  100%.

Highlight reels....well, they're highlight reels.....but I dont see anything to dislike about London.
He's got the size, a "hands" receiver and he makes all the contested catches.
How fast he is....cant say.....but he could definitely help us. 

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

Highlight reels....well, they're highlight reels.....but I dont see anything to dislike about London.
He's got the size, a "hands" receiver and he makes all the contested catches.
How fast he is....cant say.....but he could definitely help us. 

The negative points I've read on London is a lack of a top gear and he is slow in and out of his cuts so he has trouble gaining separation.  We'll hopefully see tomorrow what the speed is at his pro-day.  His 10 and 40 yard time is going to be scrutinized.  If his 40 is in the 4.4 - 4.5 second range, that will be pretty good.  If its 4.60 or slower, he is going to drop to the lower third of the first round, maybe top end of the second.  Another criticism I've read is that with is perceived limited lack of getting in and out of his cuts, that he will not be as effective in the pro level as he has been in the college level.  Only time will tell about that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I caught a clip yesterday of Tom Pelissero saying the Packers have been making calls around the league in regards to lining up a deal for another receiver.  I wonder what they have their sights on .. wonder if they will be surprising us with a fairly significant addition in the very near future.  

Need to balance the receptions especially if you bring MVS back.  You arent going to expect a rookie to come in and replace Adams numbers.  I won't be surprised if a trade is made, I halfway expect it.  

I think you need a volume vet, a rookie #2 to groom who could eventually be a #1, and maybe MVS.   You also got Cobb.  

27 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

The negative points I've read on London is a lack of a top gear and he is slow in and out of his cuts so he has trouble gaining separation.  We'll hopefully see tomorrow what the speed is at his pro-day.  His 10 and 40 yard time is going to be scrutinized.  If his 40 is in the 4.4 - 4.5 second range, that will be pretty good.  If its 4.60 or slower, he is going to drop to the lower third of the first round, maybe top end of the second.  Another criticism I've read is that with is perceived limited lack of getting in and out of his cuts, that he will not be as effective in the pro level as he has been in the college level.  Only time will tell about that.

To me he looks more athletic than he’s given credit for. He’s not Mike Williams. If he runs mid 4.5s or better (ala Mike Evans), he’ll go in the top half of the first round.

Ross Uglem -  It’s been OK. Pressure numbers and pass rush grade from PFF are not great. Converts a high number of those pressures into sacks, which is good I guess.

Last 3 years

Reed - 100 pressures
D. Lowry - 84 pressures
K. Clark - 169 pressures

Just gotta manage expectations.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Matt Schneidman -  Davante Adams: "I'll never take anything away from anything Green Bay gave me or Aaron gave me." Adams, as he has before, still calls Rodgers the best QB to ever play.

I hope Davante continues to be the type of person he seems to be in Vegas. He seems relatively humble for a player of his talent and stature.