Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

44 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Watkins was a guy who made the transition to the NFL really seamlessly as a rookie.  Since presumably they're going to have some rookies in the room, that might be a useful veteran presence.

From Paul Bretl, twitter

In the past, Gutekunst has paired veteran FA signings with rookies:

Sign Tramon Williams & Davin House - draft Jaire and Josh Jackson
Sign the Smiths - draft Gary
Sign B. Turner - draft Jenkins
Sign Amos - draft Savage
Appears a similar approach at WR could take place.

• Like 3

they need bodies at WR, and they specifically need some veteran bodies if they are going to draft a WR or 2.

Watkins is likely the best of bad options. Don’t see this signing stopping them from going out and trading for a guy or draft 2 guys high if they want to go that route.

Feel like Watkins has more upside than say a Jones if they both stay healthy.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

It will be a low risk move if we do it. Bring him in he's a pro, well travelled but a pro WR. Might as well add 1 or 2 to the room maybe he gels with AR and can be ok, if not he'll get released with a few bucks in his jeans for a SB. I could see another one too maybe on top of this. 

I’m not against it. If they’re not going to get a better WR, I just hope they get 2 players like Watkins along with a rookie. 

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Nope. Doesnt change our WR needs this season and going forward.

Draft a top guy....or two if you feel so inclined :)

Yeah I'm with you 100%. If you sign him you just kinda put him in your back pocket in case you can use him but don't alert your plans over it. 

I'm relatively confident were taking two WRs early. By the end of day two anyways. Or maybe that's just what I want to happen I guess

25 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Gute tried to sign Watkins as a free agent in 2018. He was the 1st wide receiver drafted in the great 2014 wide receiver class that included Mike Evans, OBJ, Brandin Cooks, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis.

Holy **** I totally forgot we drafted Abbrederis.i also forgot he existed though

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

According to my sauces the Watkins visit is to force the Packers real WR target into making a decision 

Packers signing Watkins to a one year worth up to 4M, guess it wasn't a move to force Jordy out of retirement.  

Edit: Curious to see if this cost the Packers their 5th round compensatory they were getting for MVS. 

Edited by R T

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Seems about right for him.  

You knew we were signing one of the FA's to a low end deal.  Evidently he was the one who would take it.

Well went from critically desperate to just desperate.  Maybe Watkins can stay healthy for a few games until we get the rookie WR's up to speed.  Gute trying to plug a hole before the draft so he doesn't have to reach.  Smart move as always maybe we'll get lucky with Watkins and he'll make it through a season.  Makes a lot of sense for Watkins.  If he could really put up some numbers this year and up his dollars on his next contract.  Win win I guess.  Don't hate this move.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Watkins has gotten hurt in week 4 or 5 every year for the last 4 years. He always comes out of the gate hot, (been on pace for 1000+ yards in the first quarter of 3/4 of those seasons) gets hurt and then the snap counts and production go way down when he comes back. Keeping him healthy is going to first and foremost be the key, because if anything he's penciled in at #1 or #2 if he signs, so the snap counts are only going up. 

That said, familiarity with his position coach and HC is nice. He's obviously supremely talented. Those who think we're doing this instead of trading for Metcalf, McLaurin or Deebo are going to be pissed, but they're also morons so we should just ignore them. Those who understand we used Tae's money to sign Rasul, Tonyan, Reed and two top 53 picks and thus are going to take a "Moneyball" approach to this WR core, should be happy about this. There's a definite chance that you can get more value for your dollar with Watkins or Fuller vs Jones or Landry which you're going to pay them for the success they've had elsewhere. 

play Watkins for the first 4-5 weeks, then shut him down for like 3 weeks and restart

• Like 2