Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

13 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

There obviously has to be a price limit but letting a great ST player go for the sole reason being he didn't develop into a good WR is dumb.

There already aren't enough roster spots. 45 gameday actives. I fundamentally don't like any player that doesn't have a position. Bush was an ok reserve DB. I know at one point Janis wasn't even playing on return teams just coverage. Is that alone worth a roster spot? I'd rather not use one that way.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spilltray said:

There already aren't enough roster spots. 45 gameday actives. I fundamentally don't like any player that doesn't have a position. Bush was an ok reserve DB. I know at one point Janis wasn't even playing on return teams just coverage. Is that alone worth a roster spot? I'd rather not use one that way.

Why is that not enough spots?  Janis is a significantly better gunner than most of the non-starters on the team are at their positions.  If he's on the 53 roster he's a guaranteed active, I think that says enough about if it's worth it.  I would rather have Janis for every punt than guys like Ulrick John, Odom or even Geronimo for his 200 yards in 350 snaps.  This team needs to get better at WR but that's because the top 4 aren't producing (besides Adams) not because the #6 WR doesn't do enough, they can improve WR without downgrading the gunner.

Keeping Janis is just losing out on guys like Donatello Brown, Deangelo yancey, Malachi Dupre etc... I think you can stomach that for what he brings to ST

Edited by Stevein2012

26 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Why is that not enough spots?  Janis is a significantly better gunner than most of the non-starters on the team are at their positions.  If he's on the 53 roster he's a guaranteed active, I think that says enough about if it's worth it.  I would rather have Janis for every punt than guys like Ulrick John, Odom or even Geronimo for his 200 yards in 350 snaps.  This team needs to get better at WR but that's because the top 4 aren't producing (besides Adams) not because the #6 WR doesn't do enough, they can improve WR without downgrading the gunner.

Keeping Janis is just losing out on guys like Donatello Brown, Deangelo yancey, Malachi Dupre etc... I think you can stomach that for what he brings to ST

No it's not because I don't keep a 6 wr. It's worth it if you have hope of them developing into a player, but I don't keep 5 wr plus Janis at much of a price tag.

I just don't think the drop off between Janis and a decent gunner is worth paying much for and I'm lukewarm to the idea in the first place. 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

No it's not because I don't keep a 6 wr. It's worth it if you have hope of them developing into a player, but I don't keep 5 wr plus Janis at much of a price tag.

I just don't think the drop off between Janis and a decent gunner is worth paying much for and I'm lukewarm to the idea in the first place. 

I doubt you have to pay that much for him though.  Unless some other team gives him a stupid offer or promises him a better shot at some snaps at WR and he takes that the only real consideration is the roster spot.

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

....I fundamentally don't like any player that doesn't have a position. Bush was an ok reserve DB. I know at one point Janis wasn't even playing on return teams just coverage. Is that alone worth a roster spot? I'd rather not use one that way.

This is why the Bush/Janis analogy isn't that strong.  Bush wasn't a an excellent corner, but he was a legit roster guy as a corner, and was often used from scrimmage in nickel and dime.  As good or better in secondary than Goodson or Donatello Brown, Hawkins or Rollins.  

Don't think MM sees Janis that way.  

Just now, craig said:

This is why the Bush/Janis analogy isn't that strong.  Bush wasn't a an excellent corner, but he was a legit roster guy as a corner, and was often used from scrimmage in nickel and dime.  As good or better in secondary than Goodson or Donatello Brown, Hawkins or Rollins.  

Don't think MM sees Janis that way.  

And like I've said 20 times, but nobody wants to listen, Bush wasn't EVER the special teams performer Janis is.  And you're looking at Bush with some kind of glasses because literally every time he was on the field people complained about him.  And... Bush played for us for 9 years. 

12 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

And like I've said 20 times, but nobody wants to listen, Bush wasn't EVER the special teams performer Janis is.  And you're looking at Bush with some kind of glasses because literally every time he was on the field people complained about him.  And... Bush played for us for 9 years. 

Was just about to say that. I remember some serious angst against Bush for some reason. I didn't really get it at the time. 

Janis is about as niche as it gets, but that niche can be pretty important in a game of inches. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Was just about to say that. I remember some serious angst against Bush for some reason. I didn't really get it at the time. 

Janis is about as niche as it gets, but that niche can be pretty important in a game of inches. 

fun fact the word inch is in the word niche

On 1/13/2018 at 7:05 PM, NormSizedMidget said:

Love these perspective posts Cwood. Makes you look around and not only look in. WR5/6 is almost never a real contributor. If you have one at WR5/6 who is an elite ST guy, you can live with that. Do you try to get better? Maybe, do you pay him close to 2 mil? Maybe not......does he stay? IDK. But what he just was is pretty good.

Everyone would love to have a guy whose going to be able to hold down the fort if you're primary players got injured, but in more cases than not you're looking at developmental types or ST players.  If you're #5/#6 WR is doing much PT, that means your starters above him are either getting hurt or not doing their jobs.  Teams don't really do 4+ WR formations much anymore.  Hell, the Packers rarely go above 3 and they're arguably the most "pass happy" offense in the division.

With how meh the Jets pass rushers were under Pettine, I don't see edge as a must pick 1st round. I would just like us to draft a defender Pettine likes. If that's a corner, edge, or inside backer I'm cool with it. Safety is an option too but I don't see one with the value if both Fitzpatrick and James are off the board. 

Right now my faves are, in no order, Arden Key, Davenport, Denzel Ward, Roquon Smith, Fitzpatrick, Derwin James. Hard to imagine a scenario where a couple of those aren't available. Love Josh Jackson but that would be dependent on Pettine's scheme