Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

The simple truth is the packers mismanaged the QB position badly for the last 3 years. 

I too felt like we mismanged the QB room room when Love was selected.  It was too early.

But look at those QB's drafted after Love...then see who was close to GB for them to pick.

I'm starting to think that GB knew the QB's coming out for a few years.  And knew that they wouldn't be in a position to draft a good one...unless something happened.  And Love happened.

I dunno.  But it is worth at least considering that the front office thought this was their chance for a good one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

I agree.

I always remind myself there are like 10 HoF QBs in the league at any given time. I mean Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson. I think those 6 are HoFers for sure by the time they are done. Then you get to Stafford, Herbert, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Jalen Hurts had an MVP season. They act like there's no additional price to pay for having thee tip top player on the roster.

The simple truth is the FO appear to have managed the QB room with skill that makes 31 other teams jealous. 

Literally every team wishes they were in a position to trade an aging QB for premium picks because they love the guy they've been grooming for 3 years behind him.

I swear some people don't understand anything lol

• Like 8

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

I always remind myself there are like 10 HoF QBs in the league at any given time. I mean Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson. I think those 6 are HoFers for sure by the time they are done. Then you get to Stafford, Herbert, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Jalen Hurts had an MVP season. They act like there's no additional price to pay for having thee tip top player on the roster.

Who acts like there's no additional price........?

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The simple truth is the FO appear to have managed the QB room with skill that makes 31 other teams jealous. 

Literally every team wishes they were in a position to trade an aging QB for premium picks because they love the guy they've been grooming for 3 years behind him.

It would have been interesting to navigate the last few years leaving out the contract contortions enforced because of COVID and the cap collapse.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The reality that Gute has planned for this outcome several years in advance seems completely lost on so many.

I suppose we could talk about mismanagement if GB was in this spot with Rodgers, and had no alternatives at the position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

The reality that Gute has planned for this outcome several years in advance seems completely lost on so many. I suppose we could talk about mismanagement if GB was in this spot with Rodgers, and had no alternatives at the position.

And.....Rodgers knew it.....I think.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The reality that Gute has planned for this outcome several years in advance seems completely lost on so many.

I suppose we could talk about mismanagement if GB was in this spot with Rodgers, and had no alternatives at the position.

Agreed. It's weird to me that so many view this as some sort of undesirable position. We have a wealth of assets at the most important position.

This is expert management.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Agreed. It's weird to me that so many view this as some sort of undesirable position. We have a wealth of assets at the most important position.

This is expert management.

I wont go to the "expert" level until Jordan Love proves his worth. If he turns out to be the real deal....if we dont miss more than a beat (or two....) this should become the model for all NFL organizations.

We made the run when our mature roster and success level had us playing at the big table (and unfortunately losing......) - and we're far better off than an organization like NOLA who'd also tried to navigate this path - to far worse outcomes IMO. 

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Exactly. Love was raw, and got to sit for three years behind a HOF QB who answered questions etc. More importantly he got to watch him. I agree with @vegas492. You saw the faces in the war room when they drafted Love. They were always excited, and knew they had two years to develop him. It ended up being three. Who knows what he will be, but I didn't hate the approach. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I too felt like we mismanged the QB room room when Love was selected.  It was too early.

But look at those QB's drafted after Love...then see who was close to GB for them to pick.

I'm starting to think that GB knew the QB's coming out for a few years.  And knew that they wouldn't be in a position to draft a good one...unless something happened.  And Love happened.

I dunno.  But it is worth at least considering that the front office thought this was their chance for a good one.

This front office thought they were competing for a SB last year.  They don't know things in the present much less years in advance.

The idea they reviewed the college QB market and chose Love is dubious.   It is too hard to predict breakout college players years in advance.  Teams have a hard time predicting who will be the right QB in their draft year much less years earlier.

You are really working too hard here to use this to defend Gute.   He misjudged his QB room, and the team in general.  If he had the ability to see these things in advance, we wouldn't have the WR corp we have had.   He would have made moves to get the team over the top rather than drafting backups to the best players on the roster.