Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I wonder if it doesn't reflect how backed up against the cap we are, assuming Rodgers gets traded?  Even 2.75 (or the 1.75 difference between that and Davis) is significant, given how little space Gute's got.  

I also suspect Tonyan didn't score well this year as a blocker.  

16 minutes ago, craig said:

I wonder if it doesn't reflect how backed up against the cap we are, assuming Rodgers gets traded?  Even 2.75 (or the 1.75 difference between that and Davis) is significant, given how little space Gute's got.  

Tonyan will also be 29 next month.  Don't know if that has anything to do with it but it might be a case of letting him walk a year early rather than a year late.

24 minutes ago, craig said:

Maybe they wanted to move on from as many of "Rodgers'," guys as possible. 

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Maybe they wanted to move on from as many of "Rodgers'," guys as possible. 

I'm not convinced Tonyan was in the Rodgers circle. I also think the Packers just looked at Tonyan and said "yea, we can replace you with a 4th round TE in this year's draft." I don't think it was more complicated than that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

On top of that the Pack paid Tyler Davis a million for 2023. So they only needed to commit $1.65m more to keep Bobby over Davis. Shocking!!!

They paid Davis for the things he does that Tonyan doesn't do. 

Tonyan was never very good and post leg injury is way too slow. The "Rodgers guys" were Cobb and Big Dog who were both loved by their teammates and coaches. We're making way too much about guys making near minimum deals that helped the team on and off the field. 

Below is Peter King's solution to this fiasco.  I don't want to wait until 2025 to get a 1st round pick ..that's too far out.  I would need a little more up front if they are pushing that 1st out a couple years. 

"The fairest deal: Jets trade a second-rounder this year (43rd overall) and a conditional pick in 2025, not 2024, based on whether Rodgers plays football for New York in 2024. If he plays 100 snaps or more in 2024, the Jets give Green Bay a first-round pick.

If Rodgers plays less than that, the Jets give Green Bay a third-rounder. So if Rodgers plays two years for New York, the price is a first- and a second-; if he plays one year, the price is a second- and a third-. I totally see Green Bay's point about playing hardball for Rodgers, but the 13th pick in the draft for a guy who might play one year? I don't see it. Unless Rodgers flat-out guarantees the Jets he's there for two years, minimum, I'm not considering paying the 2023 one for him."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10069452-peter-king-outlines-fairest-deal-for-aaron-rodgers-trade-to-jets-from-packers

31 minutes ago, Hugh_Mann said:

There is good reasoning why Peter King has been demoted all the way down to shilling for Florio ...

While I agree, there's merit to that idea. But I still get more than pick 43 and. 2025 3rd for a single year. If we don't get pick 13, I need a 2nd and 3rd in 2023, a player, and then that conditional pick in 2025.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

While I agree, there's merit to that idea. But I still get more than pick 43 and. 2025 3rd for a single year. If we don't get pick 13, I need a 2nd and 3rd in 2023, a player, and then that conditional pick in 2025.

Is so....then change the "if he plays XYZ number of snaps in 2024" part to: "if he's on the roster to begin Week 1 of 2024"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah, that's where I am at as well.  Getting their 2nd and 3rd this year would be solid.  Maybe get them to flip flop 13 & 15 in round one as well.  Having multiple 2's and 3's would allow a lot of flexibility and allow us to stock the shelves pretty well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not sure how keen Gute would be on getting 2025 pick(s) for Rodgers. The NFL is a year-to-year business in terms of job security, even for a recently extended GM. If things went extremely south and Love bombed for example, there would be a chance (as remote as it may be) that Gute isn't even here in 2025. GM's typically aren't excited about obtaining draft picks for drafts they aren't here for. While I'm sure Gute has more confidence in this future than that, I'd be pretty surprised to see any 2025 picks as part of the trade. 

If we get conditional picks (for 2024), I hope they are tied more to the Jets' success for that season, not Rodgers' willingness to keep playing beyond that point. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not sure how keen Gute would be on getting 2025 pick(s) for Rodgers. The NFL is a year-to-year business in terms of job security, even for a recently extended GM. If things went extremely south and Love bombed for example, there would be a chance (as remote as it may be) that Gute isn't even here in 2025.....

Had to stop you there.

With the level of success this team/organization has put together, Gute's gonna get canned if Love doesnt show immediate returns? 

Not. Happening.

Now....let me read the rest of your comment :)

• Like 1