Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

That is an ugly list.  I wonder how many of the "Rodgers had no weapons" crowd will give the same slack to Love.

People need to be fair and consistent on both ends of it. Right now the WR and TE rooms are downright embarrassing....but it's only March 29. No reason to panic yet. The WR room is fixed overnight if the Packers were to acquire Davis in the Jets trade and then hit on JSN or even another top 50 WR. TE room will also look different if the Packers go with a top 50 guy there. May still need to add a journeyman vet before Week 1 but not a necessity if they like Deguara. 

Either way, as I look at the current roster and those 2 rooms specifically, I just can't wrap my head around any scenario that doesn't involve the Packers using a combination of 15, 43 and 45 on a WR and TE. The third pick, whether it be the first, second or third choice, can be an EDGE, OT, S or whatever else Gute desires, but WR and TE have to be addressed by the end of round 2 IMO...especially if Gute prioritizes Love's success early on. 

I don't see a likely path to GB having a "good" WR/TE room this season.  Best case would be Watson/Doubs/Toure all taking year two leaps, a vet addition that pans out, and another high(ish) rookie pick who can contribute early.  Having one of the TE's make a significant contribution would also be a welcome change.

Expecting even half of that to happen in 2023 seems awfully optimistic.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I don't see a likely path to GB having a "good" WR/TE room this season.  Best case would be Watson/Doubs/Toure all taking year two leaps, a vet addition that pans out, and another high(ish) rookie pick who can contribute early.  Having one of the TE's make a significant contribution would also be a welcome change.

Expecting even half of that to happen in 2023 seems awfully optimistic.

Rookie TE don't make a big impact base on historical trends. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

That is an ugly list.  I wonder how many of the "Rodgers had no weapons" crowd will give the same slack to Love.

Love GM talk.  Gute well we really like our TE room.  ha ha ha ha ha...Fully expect the Pack to take a TE in either 1st (on a trade back) or 2nd rounds.  Figure they will draft 2 TE's and 2 WR's in this draft.  Probably add a WR in FA too.  TE is probably the most pressing need we have.  S being #2.  If we had any cash we could have plugged a couple of holes before the draft.  Not this year.  Most boneheaded thing was that idiotic contract they gave Rodgers.  Really screwed ourselves.  Really like to know who's bright idea that was.  

46 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Rookie TE don't make a big impact base on historical trends. 

Absolutely 100% true.  No cash we could have found a decent vet.  But we are broke.  So Rookies it will be.  Really thought they would have brought back Tonyan.  Whatever we'll be taking one up high and he won't have the luxury of a learning curve.  Trial by fire.  

10 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Absolutely 100% true.  No cash we could have found a decent vet.  But we are broke.  So Rookies it will be.  Really thought they would have brought back Tonyan.  Whatever we'll be taking one up high and he won't have the luxury of a learning curve.  Trial by fire.  

Draft Washington....and year one just tell him: "Run over there and turn around"  :)
Nobody will be able to cover him anyway.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

TE room is gonna be rough unless we trade for a vet. Nothing on the market and a rookie is unlikely to contribute.

Possible factors to.....well, factor in:  Love may be more......accepting...of throwing to the TE's // over the middle - inclusive of a rookie TE. 

stop hoping this offense will have every piece of the puzzle in year 1 under love. 

When expensive aaron jones is off the roster they will have all the passing pieces in place.  For now, the offense runs through him and watson.  Jones is highly paid and the best player so he needs to be the focus of the offense.  I'd expect to add a pass catcher but it doesn't have to be a tight end - receiver is fine too.

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

stop hoping this offense will have every piece of the puzzle in year 1 under love. 

When expensive aaron jones is off the roster they will have all the passing pieces in place.  For now, the offense runs through him and watson.  Jones is highly paid and the best player so he needs to be the focus of the offense.  I'd expect to add a pass catcher but it doesn't have to be a tight end - receiver is fine too.

We definitely will see a tilt where Jones and Dillon get more touches. Hopefully that's enough when combined with Watson to let our offense be efficient enough to get Love quality reps through the season.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

We definitely will see a tilt where Jones and Dillon get more touches. Hopefully that's enough when combined with Watson to let our offense be efficient enough to get Love quality reps through the season.

Yes.  Like, year 1 we should actually see what MLF can do without Rodgers' looming after-effects on every play.

more runs, more play action, possibly more tempo.  I don't think we'll see good 2 min drills for a while, that takes time and experience.

Folks who clamor for GB to "run the effing ball" are gonna see how that actually looks in the modern NFL - just as frustrating as incomplete passes when you get stuffed for no gain.

10-7 and hopefully they win their last 3-4 after a slow start.  7-10 if it's the same old defense.