Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's posted up on Packers.com from yesterday 

Thought it was pretty meh.  MLF is not very enthusiastic person in front of the camera/ in interviews. 

Would definitely like a little more positive vibe about Love, the turnover, opportunities change provides,  etc.  

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

It was the textbook right move, though the follow-through did not pan out- one could argue Jimmy Graham was just as elusive and effective as Jordy would've been had he stayed, and at roughly the same price tag.

You guys are talking about this interview?

https://www.packers.com/video/matt-lafleur-speaks-at-the-2023-nfl-annual-meetings

Thought it was a really great interview. He's super sharp and thoughtful and was open to answering all the football questions honestly. He was definitely protecting Love when he was tempering expectations throughout. He was also honest that first-year starting Rodgers wasn't veteran Rodgers and emphasized the need to progress. 

Also, get excited about Romeo Doubs everyone.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You guys are talking about this interview?

https://www.packers.com/video/matt-lafleur-speaks-at-the-2023-nfl-annual-meetings

Thought it was a really great interview. He's super sharp and thoughtful and was open to answering all the football questions honestly. He was definitely protecting Love when he was tempering expectations throughout. He was also honest that first-year starting Rodgers wasn't veteran Rodgers and emphasized the need to progress. 

Also, get excited about Romeo Doubs everyone.

It seems to be a polarizing presser.  Some of the talking heads were pretty critical of the tempering expectations portion, while others thought it was effort to take pressure off of Love.  It came off to me that he does not have a lot of confidence in Love, and I would have preferred that he point out all the things that Love will bring to the offense.  There's really no reason why Love can't match Rodgers performance from this past season. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It seems to be a polarizing presser.  Some of the talking heads were pretty critical of the tempering expectations portion, while others thought it was effort to take pressure off of Love.  It came off to me that he does not have a lot of confidence in Love, and I would have preferred that he point out all the things that Love will bring to the offense.  There's really no reason why Love can't match Rodgers performance from this past season. 

I got no semblance of doubt for Love, just realistic expectations that a guy has to grow into a starter and that can’t happen til he actually starts. He genuinely has respect for Aaron and what he’s done and also has no need to burn any bridges there.  The deal seems to be done in everything but deed, which means the deal is not done. Coach will praise the obvious talent that is no yet out of the door and give the young up and comer a vote of confidence but also the signal to keep working. 

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Oh I 100% got the opposite impression. He's a HC who's dialed in and wants to remove drama from his young starting QB and understands this is a huge off-season for Jordan and wants him to stay disciplined all spring and summer. 

LaFleur knows what's at stake. He definitely seems a little anxious about adding to the pass-catching room, so look for Gute to hit that early and often in the draft. Maybe he can sweet talk Cobb and Lewis into cheap deals later as well.

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Oh I 100% got the opposite impression. He's a HC who's dialed in and wants to remove drama from his young starting QB and understands this is a huge off-season for Jordan and wants him to stay disciplined all spring and summer. 

LaFleur knows what's at stake. He definitely seems a little anxious about adding to the pass-catching room, so look for Gute to hit that early and often in the draft. Maybe he can sweet talk Cobb and Lewis into cheap deals later as well.

I don't know .. I kind of have high expectations for Love.  He's been groomed for three years for this. He was a 1st round pick that they traded up for. 

I know he's not going to be peak Aaron Rodgers here, but I expect him to a be a good QB.  He really has to be pretty good or there is going to be some crazy pressure on Gutey and LaFleur.  I mean .. they are getting rid of an all timer, so I'm kind or under the impression that they think the guy can play.  When I hear the words "temper expectations" it doesn't exactly scream confidence. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No one refers to a situation they're happy about with "it is what it is." That was the first thing out of his mouth. Was a clear as day difference between the way he approached the questions versus Gutey.

I dont see how he was expected to show happiness with the way things are going down.

He did what was expected of him:  he kissed AR's ring (as required) and looked forward positively towards Love - while protecting the player a bit regards expectations.

If he's smart, he *should* actually welcome the change. ARs cost is crimping our cap - read - player acquisition and roster flexibility. PLUS - lets be real here. AR's not gotten us there! Close....but continually no cigar.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No one refers to a situation they're happy about with "it is what it is." That was the first thing out of his mouth. Was a clear as day difference between the way he approached the questions versus Gutey.

He's not happy about it ... He knows he's going to have serious pressure from here on out. He's gonna have to put on the big boy pants and run an offense that can win games with Jordan Love. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No, that's him being sick of that question so he refers the entire drama as "it is what it is [stop asking me about it]"

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1