Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No it's not.  That's where MVS was taken, wasn't it?

Yeah but it's such a weird number. Why not just compare round 5 and later for example? In 2018 MVS was the last player in the 5th round. The exact number changes year to year based on comp picks but we're basically comparing him to 6th and 7th round receivers. It's great that he outperforms them, but I'd probably find more informative a list of 4th round and later WRs even if he's just top 10 in that list instead of first.

5 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Not that I don't enjoy our rookie WRs but 174 seems an awfully arbitrary cutoff point

Yeah, 174 is where MVS was drafted. But I suppose it also approximately signifies the " later rounds" currently because it was the last pick of the 5th round last year.  last pick of the 5th round was #175 in 2017 and 2016. 2016 was #176.

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

174 was the final pick of the 5th round.

I think it might be more interesting to see by round what the production was.  How did they stack up against all rookie WRs? 2nd rounders? etc.  

I already did this.  MVS was like top 40 in receptions and yards for receivers drafted in ANY round since I think 2010 or something.  I posted it in the It's time for second round WR thread if you want to find it.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Basically, if MVS had been drafted in the second round last year, literally nobody would think we need a first or second round WR this year.  MVS had THAT good a rookie season.  He is legit.

Well I think the point is also that EQ was relatively good too. And he had even less playing time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

@Outpost31🤐 dang though you might find this interesting 

So this is for WRs taken 174+.... First glaring problem I see here is we'd need the snap counts for all rookie WRs at pick 174+. MVS and ESB played a bunch because our WR core was a weaker unit from day 1 and Cobb and Allison got hurt early, opening the door for MVS and ESB to play a lot. Id imagine not many 174+ rookie WRs even hardly see the field year 1 because they're deep on a team's depth chart. 

Not saying MVS and ESB didnt make the most of their opportunities but the fact they got a lot of opportunity is probably the driving force behind those stats more than anything else. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

So this is for WRs taken 174+.... First glaring problem I see here is we'd need the snap counts for all rookie WRs at pick 174+. MVS and ESB played a bunch because our WR core was a weaker unit from day 1 and Cobb and Allison got hurt early, opening the door for MVS and ESB to play a lot. Id imagine not many 174+ rookie WRs even hardly see the field year 1 because they're deep on a team's depth chart. 

Not saying MVS and ESB didnt make the most of their opportunities but the fact they got a lot of opportunity is probably the driving force behind those stats more than anything else. 

Sorting by yards per reception from my above link, MVS was tied for 15th, only one player above him had more receptions.  EQ was 12th.  That list also has a top 3 with a combined 5 receptions.  They both did have more opportunities than you would expect for the way they were obtained, but they held up efficiency-wise as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I answered this, too.  

PackerNews:

Andy Benoit's rankings for The MMQB of the top 100 NFL free agents. The highest-rated Packers free agent is wide receiver Randall Cobb at No. 43.
Regarding Cobb, Benoit writes:

In 2014, he had 1,287 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns and we buckled up for his ride to greatness. But that year was the outlier—in his other seven seasons he has battled injuries and averaged 605 yards. 

The only other Packers free agent on the list (way down at No. 94) is cornerback Bashaud Breeland:

A somewhat hot-and-cold player who is not viewed as “versatile,” but he has had flashes of success at left, right and slot corner in Washington and Green Bay. He’s an enticing source of secondary depth, if nothing else.

Conspicuously absent from the list is Clay Matthews, indicating that the soon-to-be 33-year-old edge rusher may not find a robust market for his services. Of the 100 free agents on Benoit's list, only five (tight end Jared Cook, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, running back Adrian Peterson, linebacker Thomas Davis and receiver Pierre Garcon) will be 32 or older as of May 1.

Former Packers safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (dealt to Washington last season for a fourth-round draft pick) checks in down at No. 73

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

PackerNews:

Andy Benoit's rankings for The MMQB of the top 100 NFL free agents. The highest-rated Packers free agent is wide receiver Randall Cobb at No. 43.
Regarding Cobb, Benoit writes:

In 2014, he had 1,287 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns and we buckled up for his ride to greatness. But that year was the outlier—in his other seven seasons he has battled injuries and averaged 605 yards. 

The only other Packers free agent on the list (way down at No. 94) is cornerback Bashaud Breeland:

A somewhat hot-and-cold player who is not viewed as “versatile,” but he has had flashes of success at left, right and slot corner in Washington and Green Bay. He’s an enticing source of secondary depth, if nothing else.

Conspicuously absent from the list is Clay Matthews, indicating that the soon-to-be 33-year-old edge rusher may not find a robust market for his services. Of the 100 free agents on Benoit's list, only five (tight end Jared Cook, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, running back Adrian Peterson, linebacker Thomas Davis and receiver Pierre Garcon) will be 32 or older as of May 1.

Former Packers safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (dealt to Washington last season for a fourth-round draft pick) checks in down at No. 73

Breeland is the only packers UFA I would even attempt to sign.  I don't think he's a 7 or 8 million dollar a year player though.  Someone will probably pay him, so I doubt he will be back.  The rest can go elsewhere .. well, maybe Jake Ryan can return on a cheap deal.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Breeland is the only packers UFA I would even attempt to sign.  I don't think he's a 7 or 8 million dollar a year player though.  Someone will probably pay him, so I doubt he will be back.  The rest can go elsewhere .. well, maybe Jake Ryan can return on a cheap deal.

Reading some of the post season write ups on Breeland, I think I may have been over hyping - or overly enthusiastic about his performance. Didnt *see* as many games this year as times past - thats what losing will do for ya - so my impression that he's an "attack the ball....PBU" kinda guy - might have been too....positive. Not certain. We DEFINITELY need "playmaker" depth at this position group which seems to be a yearly high casualty area.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I want to re-sign Allison (restricted) because he has been good every time he has had a chance; and Reggie Gilbert (ERFA) because we need bodies, and I am done with Nick Perry.  He plays at replacement level, if he plays, for superstar wages.  Just get rid of him.