Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

From AcmePacking:

The Green Bay Packers need pass-rushers. You know it, I know it, everybody associated with the NFL knows it. And in a revelation that is sure to shock nobody, ESPN’s Mel Kiper appears to be the only one who does not appreciate the serious of that need.

For the first example, let’s look at Kiper’s projection for the Packers’ selection at the 12th overall pick. He has the team taking wide receiver Marquise Brown from Oklahoma.

Then, 18 picks later, Kiper again chooses not to land an outside linebacker, instead projecting Michigan off-ball linebacker Devin Bush to Green Bay.

Did you see the rest of his draft? I haven't.  But the board could just be worst case scenario for the Packers on the pass rusher front. One of my favorite things that we typically do is figure out the best and worst case scenarios for the Packers draft, usually about a week out from the event.  Would you be more upset with these picks, or reaches for a pass rusher while passing up superior players? 

I’m fine with it. It’s tough for the uneducated fan to complain about a strength and conditioning staff. Green Bay is a top football destination/organization. It would be tough to believe that they leave any stones unturned as far as having the most advanced equipment and techniques here. 

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Did you see the rest of his draft? I haven't.  But the board could just be worst case scenario for the Packers on the pass rusher front. One of my favorite things that we typically do is figure out the best and worst case scenarios for the Packers draft, usually about a week out from the event.  Would you be more upset with these picks, or reaches for a pass rusher while passing up superior players? 

No. I didnt see the remainder of Kipers draft - or how far he took it at this early stage. AcmePacking didnt post it and I'm not interested enough to go find it.

So far this year I've been taking a decidedly low-key approach to the draft information. Not having an "in season" viewing opinion of most of the players - and not (yet) devoting gobs of time on YouTube to catch up or research - I'm pretty much just reading along with the comments and opinions of others.

I dont know the players cited from Adam. I did think it odd that we'd use our top pick on a WR and AcmePacking seemed to agree citing 2006 the last time we used Rd 1 on the position. Would I like a kick-*** ILB? A true difference maker? Yes - but the same....expectation is being extended to all our selections. All I want our FO to do is aggressively eyeball talent and select true difference makers. Players that WILL contribute to positive plays on the field (regardless of position) and W's.

I have my positional favorites or tendencies and will see how the draft breaks out and if the GBP FO agrees with me regards targeting.

This is why I get so angry with people over OG.  We aren't nearly as bad as people think, and OG really isn't all that important. 

Yes, PFF is just fine at OL grading.  It's literally graded the same way as every other OG.  There is no bias involved.  They are the only option out there to give a score off of every play, and it is the best way possible to compare OL play in the NFL. 

Our guards are average.  They aren't some crippling weakness for our team.  It would be nice to upgrade there, but the value of a guard is not worth some massive upgrade.  Quenton Nelson was just a top 6 overall pick and he was probably the best rookie guard in a very long time.  He would provide only 10 points of an upgrade over either of our undrafted guards.  That is NOT worthy of the investment. 

As far as spending money in free agency? 

Andy Levitre, Mike Iupati, James Carpenter, Chance Warmack, Billy Turner, Quinton Spain...

Guess what... All of those free agent guards were rated lower than both McCray and Taylor. 

Rodger Saffold (72.8)
Ramon Foster (69.1)
Ben Garland (69.3)

Those three players at 6-8 million per provide more value than drafting a guard high. 

Below were the top ten guards heading into 2018.  The number beside them was their rating in 2018. 

Zack Martin (78.6)
David Decastro (71.7)
Andrew Norwell (66.7)
Brandon Brooks (72)
Marshal Yanda (75.2)
Brandon Scherf (70.1)
Kelechi Osemele (53.7)
Ron Leary (62.1)
Joel Bitonio (74.7)
Kyle Long (62.2)

Here are the rookie guards of 2018:

Quenton Nelson (6th overall) - 76.7
Connor Williams (50th overall) - 57.3
Wyatt Teller (166th overall) 56.1
Sam Jones (183rd overall) - 70.2
Colby Gossett (213th overall) 46.0
Billy Price (22nd overall) 49.1
William Hernandez (34th overall) 65.8

Two guards taken in the first round.  One good one was significantly better than ours.  One was the worst-rated rookie guard in the draft. 

This post isn't as succinct as it should be, but the bottom line is that guards are inconsistent from year to year, higher investment does not really give you that much more value for dollar/investment, and there are plenty of ways to get value at guard. 

• Like 1

Note: The Packers do not currently have any "Smith's"  on the roster.

They hired an LB coach named Mike Smith and several posters have mocked OLB's Za'Darius Smith or Preston Smith to the Packers. 
Perhaps they can remedy the Packers' current smithlessness

(Both the 1996 and the 2010 rosters listed a "Smith" per Pro Football Reference)