Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

15 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The defensive backfield also was not helped by the injury bug at all.  Whether they needed to eat better, be hydrated, stretch, I don't know.  But Hayward, Hyde, House, and King were almost always fighting some kind of muscle injury.  They were good enough players, but you could also count on them missing games.

Lot of injuries n that secondary, it’s a rough game and sometimes it just boils down to luck. Hyde was not in that category, though. The guy has been available his whole career until a serious injury took him out last season. 

13 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Lot of injuries n that secondary, it’s a rough game and sometimes it just boils down to luck. Hyde was not in that category, though. The guy has been available his whole career until a serious injury took him out last season. 

Was he not? Maybe I was thinking of Dimitri Goodson.

On 5/20/2023 at 11:27 AM, {Family Ghost} said:

I'll sum it up for you.  The Packers absolutely **** the bed when it comes to the handling of our secondary.  A litany of errors were made with that unit over the past decade.

Top of my head...notable at the CB position.

Traded for Al Harris.  A+ move.

Signed Woodson in FA.  A+ move.

Got Tramon and Shields as UDFAs.  A+ moves.

Drafted Collins pretty high.  Thinking second round.  A+ move.

Drafted Carroll, Thomas, Randall, Rollins very high.  F moves.

Burnett in the fourth.  A.

Heyward, kindda high.  B.

Found House, Hyde in the middle rounds.  B.

King.  D+.

Drafted JA, Ha-Ha, Stokes....A.

Drafted Savage in the first.  D+.

Found Douglas on the scrap heap.  A.

I remember thinking that Hyde was a whipping boy when here.  He would line up man to man as the slot corner and not have the speed to keep up on crossers.  And he would give up first down after first down after first down.  We played him out of position.

Heyward was fine, but always dinged up because he was smaller in frame and frail.

Edited by vegas492

Vegas, you may be a little of a generous grade-inflation guy!!  :):). 

More recent moves:  

1. Played Hyde out of position.  
  2. Didn't recognize the value of Hyde and Heyward, if used wisely.  

Then, as replacement attempts:

1. Drafted Randall
  2. Drafted Rollins
  3. Drafted Josh Jones
  4. Drafted King
  5. Drafted Josh Jackson 
  6. Drafted Jaire
  7. Drafted Stokes.  

Not sure playing Hyde out of position is praiseworthy.  Nor decision to let him go because your coaches were going to mis-use him.  

A lot of very high draft capital expended on secondary. 

• Jaire hit. 
  • I thought rookie Stokes was going to, but he was bad before the injury last year.  Hope he comes back strong, and gets used wisely. (I thought he was really good early as a rookie when he largely played man-to-man and mirrored guys pretty well.  Once Gray coached him up to give mongo cushions and play soft zone, I think he got coached down and mis-used.). 

Would have been nice to apply those other five high draft picks to some other position areas.  But when you swing and miss so often, that kinda forced them to keep swinging.  

Stokes is really important.  

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Kevin King was not bad.  If Hayward was good, King was good.  Both were just hurt all the time.

Damarious Randall wasn't bad either.  Bit of a goof, and also probably should have played safety.  But not a bad player.  Totally overdrafted though.  

Agree, kevin kings career seems worse in hindsight than it was because of the way it ended. He was a very servicable boundary for a few years

11 minutes ago, craig said:

More recent moves:  

1. Drafted Randall
  2. Drafted Rollins
  3. Drafted Josh Jones
  4. Drafted King
  5. Drafted Josh Jackson 
  6. Drafted Jaire
  7. Drafted Stokes.  

Not sure playing Hyde out of position is praiseworthy.  Nor decision to let him go because your coaches were going to mis-use him.  

• Jaire hit. 
  • I thought rookie Stokes was going to, but he was bad before the injury last year.  Hope he comes back strong, and gets used wisely. (I thought he was really good early as a rookie when he largely played man-to-man and mirrored guys pretty well.  Once Gray coached him up to give mongo cushions and play soft zone, I think he got coached down and mis-used.). 

Would have been nice to apply those other five high draft picks to some other position areas.  But when you swing and miss so often, that kinda forced them to keep swinging.  

Randall rollins jones and jackson was a really tough stretch of picks...

1 hour ago, craig said:

More recent moves:  

1. Drafted Randall
  2. Drafted Rollins
  3. Drafted Josh Jones
  4. Drafted King
  5. Drafted Josh Jackson 
  6. Drafted Jaire
  7. Drafted Stokes.  

• Jaire hit. 

Just because our coaches played someone out of position doesn't mean they weren't great draft picks.  The only one I can think of that is in this boat is Hyde.  No one batted an eye when he left.  And he really became something special at safety once he left GB.

Hayward/Heyward.  Dude couldn't stay healthy.  When he signed with the Raiders, I thought it was for low enough money to where he would have been a good value for us.

I give a lot of credit to GB for finding Tramon and Shields as UDFAs.

At least recently we've drafted well at corner.  And finding Douglas is pretty special as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

Agree, kevin kings career seems worse in hindsight than it was because of the way it ended. He was a very servicable boundary for a few years

We know why he is viewed as a poor pick.  It's because of who we bypassed for him.

And man?  As a rookie?  That kid, King, looked special.  But those injuries just took speed and quickness away from him and he was never going to tackle someone and not get injured.  What a shame.

• Like 1

He signed with the Broncos three weeks ago as an UDFA but was waived last week. It appears we have picked him up if this tweet is anything to go by.

No word on who has been cut.  I'm thinking one of the bottom of the roster TEs as I think 8 players who can play TE is too many.

He's another big back at 5'10" and 229lbs and was highly productive at Fort Valley State. Last season he made 184 carries, 1252 yards and 15 TDs with an average of 6.8 yards per carry.

I think there are three issues in this discussion.  A guy who turns out to be a low-value pick, it can be for any of three reasons:

1. Guy failed.  Rollins, Jones, Jackson, Randall.   
  2.  Injury failed him.  King.  Heyward
  3. Coaches failed him.  Hyde.  Couldn't Packers coaches see and use what Bills coaches saw and used?  

It is very problematic if our defensive coaches are failing guys.  

Stokes we have.  I think he is so crucial to the future.  Is injury going to fail him?  If not, will our coaching fail him?  I sure hope not, but I admit some concerns.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, craig said:

I think there are three issues in this discussion.  A guy who turns out to be a low-value pick, it can be for any of three reasons:

1. Guy failed.  Rollins, Jones, Jackson, Randall.   
  2.  Injury failed him.  King.  Heyward
  3. Coaches failed him.  Hyde.  Couldn't Packers coaches see and use what Bills coaches saw and used?  

It is very problematic if our defensive coaches are failing guys.  

Stokes we have.  I think he is so crucial to the future.  Is injury going to fail him?  If not, will our coaching fail him?  I sure hope not, but I admit some concerns.  

It's not the first time coaches have failed a player.  We tried making Kampman an OLB with coverage responsibilities.

We drafted Worthy and failed him when we asked him to 2 gap instead of penetrate, which is what he did best in college.  Of course, the sickness he had zapped his strength and his weight, too.

We are still planning on playing Savage at Safety when he may be best in the slot corner.

I think we failed Douglas last year when we had him in the slot instead of boundary corner where he thrived the year before.

We tried really hard to fail with JA.  Soft zone crap instead of letting him man up and take guys out of the game.

For some reason, I don't worry about Stokes.  I know he wasn't great last year, but he was as a rookie.  As long as he still has those wheels, and playing more of a man to man defense, I feel like he will be fine.

Now that I think about it...a lot of it recently is Joe Barry and his defensive philosophy.  Let's hope that changes.

No, I'm being too nice.  Joe Barry sux.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

He signed with the Broncos three weeks ago as an UDFA but was waived last week. It appears we have picked him up if this tweet is anything to go by.

No word on who has been cut.  I'm thinking one of the bottom of the roster TEs as I think 8 players who can play TE is too many.

He's another big back at 5'10" and 229lbs and was highly productive at Fort Valley State. Last season he made 184 carries, 1252 yards and 15 TDs with an average of 6.8 yards per carry.

They waived Kicker Parker White to make room for Wilson.