Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, R T said:

Horning was an NFL MVP and he was the 6th best player in his offensive huddle?

Look at that huddle.  One could easily make the case that he was 6th best in there.

Or first.

Depending on how you view things.  Either way, he was another one of our all time great players.

But I wouldn't put him on GB's Mt. Rushmore.  He wouldn't even make the cut for me.  But, only one in that huddle would beat him out and that would be Starr.  Two if you count Lombardi.

• Like 1

My hubby and I took a ride around town yesterday (we usually check out the happenings at Lambeau when we are up here every summer) and we can't believe the size of the new scoreboards!!  Too bad we won't be up here for any preseason games or Family Night to see them "in action".

Edited by Pugger

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Have you been to Rushmore though? Not too many new faces on there.

You know what is really crazy about Mount Rushmore?  Every one of the guys that is on it was elected President of the United States!  Wouldn't it be odd if it was George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Gary from accounting?  Once the other 3 were elected, the pressure surely must have been on Roosevelt.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

Hornung's importance and influence on the team was much more than stats. He was the team's "Mr. Clutch" and almost always came through in big moments with big plays. Hornung was easily the best blocking halfback in the league which helped open holes for Taylor. His all around versatility in terms of running, catching, and blocking was essential to the success of the Lombardi offense. Because of his proven ability to also pass the ball, when the Packers ran the sweep opponents were never sure if he was going to pass it and therefore did not overly commit to stopping the run which helped set up the blocking and open the running 

I think most of this is overblown, especially if you look at the team's performance in 63, 66, and 67 when Hornungs contributarions were limited or absent.

He was a very good player but he was pretty seamlessly replaced by Elijah Pitts and Donny Amderson, as far as the functioning of the offense went

My Packers Mt. Rushmore is simply based on my favorites of all-time: Starr, White, Butler, Rodgers. That was really tough narrowing it down to 4. I really wanted to put Travis WIlliams on there some place. Herb Adderly was so close. Bob Brown (only from a personal experience as TC when I was a kid.) Ezra Johnson is another one of my ATF. 

Edited by Old Guy

8 hours ago, Old Guy said:

My Packers HOF is simply based on my favorites of all-time: Starr, White, Butler, Rodgers. That was really tough narrowing it down to 4. I really wanted to put Travis WIlliams on there some place. Herb Adderly was so close. Bob Brown (only from a personal experience as TC when I was a kid.) Ezra Johnson is another one of my ATF. 

my favorite post on this whole god-forsaken site, so here's mine...the Packers Mt Rushmore based on my favorite players...

Ray F'n Nitschke-because obvi...

Lynn Dickey-he's the best QB i grew up watching-I'm of the age that was just too young to see Starr at his best and then lived thru -ugh- Tagge, Hadl, Whitehurst, Carlos Brown, Randy Wright, Jim DelGaizo,  i could go on but I'm getting sick-seriously until the Majik era...lol

Don Hutson because i had a custom # 14 jersey made when the first throwbacks came out and it was cool as hell

Ezra Johnson because he ate a hot dog on the sideline during a game

...special props to Chester Marcol for catching his own blocked kick and returning it for a TD against the Bears (while coming off a bump at halftime) and double special props to GB cheerleaders at about 30 seconds, not exactly MN Waldo, but the best we've had

have a nice day all -and thank goodness minicamp is next week and TC is about six weeks later

8 hours ago, Green19 said:

Is it a nice hat?

Probably not.  For my 40th birthday party, I hosted a karaoke night.  I made a list of songs that I hate;  and you could sing anything that you want to sing, I wasn't going to stop you.  But if you sang anything on the list, you had to take a shot, and wear a goofy hat.  I have a captain's hat, the fedora from the Mask, a 3 foot sombrero, Pinocchio's hat, I think some kind of tiara.  Anyway, I have a bag full of goofy hats.

My Mt. Rushmore for Packers.

Lombardi.  Starr.  Favre.  Rodgers.

Taking the most iconic coach out there.  He's gotta be in there as the trophy is named after him.  

Starr.  Another icon and the winner of just so many titles.

Favre.  Turned around the franchise and made GB relevant.  While setting many records along the way.

Rodgers.  Arguably the most talent QB to ever play the position.  Many MVP's.  Kept GB relevant.

Honorable mention to every Packer in the HOF, just too many to count.

But I'll take the iconic coach and the 3 QB's.

If I'm making one for me personally?  My "likes"?

Favre, White, Nitschke, Rodgers.