Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

51 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I have a feeling making the PO.s this coming season is asking a lot.  In AR's first season starting with a much stronger roster plus one season removed from appearing the NFCC game we went 6-10.  For me as long as we see improvement every week that would make 2023 a successful season.  

Agreed.  I’m looking fwd to watching this team grow and figure it out together.  There’s no yoke of inflated expectations and there certainly won’t be any melodramatic antics from our QB.  It’s a fresh start and a new era.  It’s reinvigorating as a fan iyam. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I have a feeling making the PO.s this coming season is asking a lot.  In AR's first season starting with a much stronger roster plus one season removed from appearing the NFCC game we went 6-10.  For me as long as we see improvement every week that would make 2023 a successful season.  

Many want to keep referencing AR's first season as a starter as if it is set in stone that they will have a losing record this coming season, but why can't it be like Favre's first season as a starter where he went 8-5. Plus, I don't believe that was a stronger roster either. 

If you don't believe they can win the NFCN you are selling them short. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Is it though? 

Tory Humphrey, Donald Lee, Ryan Grant, Jason Spitz and Scott Wells were starters on offense. Wells was maybe slightly above average. The others were JAGS.

Johnny Jolly (year 2 wasn't very good at all), Mike Montgomery, Aaron Rouse were starters on defense. You also had declining Aaron Kampman and declining Brady Poppinga. 

There were 20+ guys on that roster that just were not very good football players. 

2008 Green Bay Packers Roster & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

1 hour ago, R T said:

Many want to keep referencing AR's first season as a starter as if it is set in stone that they will have a losing record this coming season, but why can't it be like Favre's first season as a starter where he went 8-5. Plus, I don't believe that was a stronger roster either. 

Expand it to other teams and it's very unusual to have a season in which the QB has "the goods" and have a losing record like we did Rodgers' first season. Mahomes is a great example, amongst many.

I expect a home playoff game in January at the least.

1 hour ago, R T said:

I also agree that we have some talent, and some young guys who could take a step that bring the overall talent level pretty high. The other thing is we likely have a reasonably soft schedule. The Lions might be real contenders but the rest of the North doesn’t scare me. They will be gunning for the Pack, after the changing of the guard. Will make those victories even sweeter if Love shows he can play. In the end, that’s how this season will be judged: Do we have a starting caliber QB or do we need to go back into the wilderness to find one?

Kinda Packers related, I came across this video, it was a good watch. I always liked Mayock, as the media guy, and it was interesting to hear him talk about his time as a GM.

A couple of things that stood out, he loves coach Rich Bisaccia, thinks he deserves to be a HC and how the players love to play for him. Glad he is our ST and assistant HC, pretty much interacts with the whole team as a result.

Also he talks about how when Renfrow was drafted pretty quickly in training camp they knew they had a player and how players and coaches know when they got something in a player. Hearing this I thought of Jayden Reed, how he is already practicing with the 1st team, I think coaches and players know they are on to something with him.

• Like 2

Upcoming season, who knows?  If injury-bug focuses elsewhere, we might win ≥10 games and win the division.  Who knows?  Neither would I be surprised if we're drafting in the top 6.  Who knows? 

Last year, we were starting Jake Hansen at RG and Newman at RT on opening day.  Who knew last June?  

It's both plausible and pleasant to envision a pretty fun and successful season, but who knows?  Especially in the National Injury League?  

I don't know if I'm late to the party with this one but Leslie Frazier spent time last week with the Packers!!! He is also visiting the Commanders and Giants.

If he has any sense he'll come to the Packers, the Giants got Wink Martindale and the Commanders have Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio, while we have Joe Barry.

I think it would be a good hire if we got him.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/6/1/23746013/green-bay-packers-news-former-nfl-hc-leslie-frazier-spent-time-with-the-packers-last-week

15 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Kinda Packers related, I came across this video, it was a good watch. I always liked Mayock, as the media guy, and it was interesting to hear him talk about his time as a GM.

A couple of things that stood out, he loves coach Rich Bisaccia, thinks he deserves to be a HC and how the players love to play for him. Glad he is our ST and assistant HC, pretty much interacts with the whole team as a result.

Also he talks about how when Renfrow was drafted pretty quickly in training camp they knew they had a player and how players and coaches know when they got something in a player. Hearing this I thought of Jayden Reed, how he is already practicing with the 1st team, I think coaches and players know they are on to something with him.

Reminds me of the buzz about Romeo Doubs in camp last year. Even Rodgers was raving about him. He would have been a Bonafide rookie stud last year had he stayed healthy. 

I expect a big year two leap from him as well. 

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I don't know if I'm late to the party with this one but Leslie Frazier spent time last week with the Packers!!! He is also visiting the Commanders and Giants.

If he has any sense he'll come to the Packers, the Giants got Wink Martindale and the Commanders have Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio, while we have Joe Barry.

I think it would be a good hire if we got him.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/6/1/23746013/green-bay-packers-news-former-nfl-hc-leslie-frazier-spent-time-with-the-packers-last-week

This is a grass is green on the other side thing, Frazier has always been average at best in his career as a coach. Plus, he is 64 and doesn't sound like he is interested in an assistant's position anywhere right now. 

According to Frazier, his goal is to be a head coach and he’s going to spend his “time off” to visit friends around the league while he tries to build a case for himself during the next hiring window.

19 hours ago, R T said:

ARod's first year the team was 6-5 and at least fighting for a playoff spot, but the d gagged bad down the stretch - they had the lead with 2 minor less in at least 3 of those games.

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

ARod's first year the team was 6-5 and at least fighting for a playoff spot, but the d gagged bad down the stretch - they had the lead with 2 minor less in at least 3 of those games.

The Steelers game is also always played as an all time classic.  Ben to I think Santonio Holmes for the walk off.  Drive lasted like 40 seconds, IIRC.  

For GB to make the playoffs, not only will the offense need to minimize the "growing pains" part of this transition, but the defense will need to play at something reasonably close to their potential.  I think it's more likely than not that one of those areas won't be consistent enough for GB to make a playoff run.  I expect GB to be playing meaningful games in early December, but not in week 17.  I don't see that as an especially negative view of the situation, and I'll enjoy the season just fine if it plays out that way as long as the young guys aren't going down with injuries.

23 hours ago, R T said:

The season before AR's first year starting we played in the NFCC game losing to the NYG in OT.  The roster 2008 is more experienced than the one we have presently if nothing else, especially on O.  I think this coming year we will see a lot of ups and downs but I am very optimistic about this group long term.  Perhaps I don't want to have high expectations for 2023 so I won't be disappointed if we have a similar record as 2028.  I hope they prove me wrong.

19 minutes ago, Pugger said:

The season before AR's first year starting we played in the NFCC game losing to the NYG in OT.  The roster 2008 is more experienced than the one we have presently if nothing else, especially on O.  I think this coming year we will see a lot of ups and downs but I am very optimistic about this group long term.  Perhaps I don't want to have high expectations for 2023 so I won't be disappointed if we have a similar record as 2008.  I hope they prove me wrong.

You are not alone, there is a high volume of emotional hedging on the coming season from people on this forum. 

• Like 2