Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

18 hours ago, R T said:

Why are people that are half and half always considered black? Shouldn't it be up to them to identify as whoever they want? If a male can identify as a female, then certainly a mixed-race individual should be about to identify as a white person or a black person. Maybe just keep flipping teams for whatever the situation is.    

I identify as always right.

23 hours ago, R T said:

Why are people that are half and half always considered black? Shouldn't it be up to them to identify as whoever they want? If a male can identify as a female, then certainly a mixed-race individual should be about to identify as a white person or a black person. Maybe just keep flipping teams for whatever the situation is.    

As my mix raced friend told me "it doesn't matter I think I am, it matters what a cop thinks when he pulls me over" 

• Like 2

Since this moved to religion....here's a joke.  A good, clean one.  

A doberman, German Shepherd and cat die, cross over the rainbow bridge and go to heaven to be judged by God.

God looks at the doberman and asks what he believed he learned while on Earth.  The doberman says, "I learned to believe in loving, caring for and the protection of my master."

God says, "Aha.  You may sit at my right side."

God then looks at the German Shepherd and asks, "What did you learn while on Earth?"

The German Shepherd responds, " I learned discipline, training and utter loyalty to my Master."

God says, "Excellent, you may sit at my left side."

God then looks at the cat and asks, 'What do you learn while on Earth?"

The cat looks at God and replies, "I believe that you are in my seat."

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Since this moved to religion....here's a joke.  A good, clean one.  

A doberman, German Shepherd and cat die, cross over the rainbow bridge and go to heaven to be judged by God.

God looks at the doberman and asks what he believed he learned while on Earth.  The doberman says, "I learned to believe in loving, caring for and the protection of my master."

God says, "Aha.  You may sit at my right side."

God then looks at the German Shepherd and asks, "What did you learned while on Earth?"

The German Shepherd responds, " I learned discipline, training and utter loyalty to my Master."

God says, "Excellent, you may sit at my left side."

God then looks at the cat and asks, 'What do you learn while on Earth?"

The cat looks at God and replies, "I believe that you are in my seat."

The best humor has a little truth to it. I heard same joke, only with a political twist and the cat was a former first lady who tried to become President. 

#Packers defensive splits from 2022 Opponents averaged 5.8 yards per rushing attempt when in shotgun and 9.7 yards per passing attempt when under center. Similiar splits in 2021. Suggests to me that Joe Barry might have a problem matching personnel. Thoughts?

Too often teams have been able to turn 2nd and long into 3rd and short by running the ball. There have to be more 3rd and long situations for the defense to be effective.

https://theathletic.com/4622522/2023/06/21/packers-roster-projection-offseason/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983&access_token=212065&redirected=1

For pay, Schneidman roster predictions.  

• 2-2-6-4-10 for QB-RB-WR-TE-OL (24 offense)
  • 5-5-5-6-5 for DL-Edge-OLB-CB-S (26 defense)

Some of the interesting calls:

• Injuries:  Guessed both Gary and Stokes on opening roster.  [He notes that Gary was injured two weeks earlier than Jenkins.  Jenkins was active week 2, and might have been week 1 if not for turf surface.] 
  • Clifford > Etling
  • Extra RB(s) to PS
  • UDFA Heath as 6th WR.  
  • 10 OL, including Jones, Tenuta, and Walker
  • DL:  Slaton as only big 
  • Edge:  Hollins in
  • ILB:  5, including all three of McDuffie, Erik Wilson, and Carpenter.  
  • CB: Ballentine and Valentine as last two.  
  • S:  Owens, Moore, and Leavitt > Johnson.  Gaines not mentioned.  
  • ST-focus:.  Leavitt, Wilson, Carpenter, Ballentine, Schneidman predicts keeping Rich's boys ahead of draft picks like Johnson etc..
  • Draft picks:  Schneidman predicts keeping through Carrington, the first of the 7th rounders.  But none of the last three 7th-rounders (Nichols, Johnson, Dubose).
  • UDFA:  He's got Heath on his projection, but not Cox.  
  • Humility:   He is pretty realistic that not all of these will be correct.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

• S:  Owens, Moore, and Leavitt > Johnson.  Gaines not mentioned.  
  • ST-focus:.  Leavitt, Wilson, Carpenter, Ballentine, Schneidman predicts keeping Rich's boys ahead of draft picks like Johnson etc..

I'm curious to get a look at Anthony Johnson, Jr.  If he's a decent enough ST player, maybe he has a chance at making the roster bcuz while Leavitt is a good ST player, he's the Tyler Davis of safeties.

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I'm curious to get a look at Anthony Johnson, Jr.  If he's a decent enough ST player, maybe he has a chance at making the roster bcuz while Leavitt is a good ST player, he's the Tyler Davis of safeties.

Safety is an uncommonly old room.  Ford 28; Leavitt 28; Owens 27; Moore, 26.  Those are some of the older guys on the roster; there are only 4 guys on the entire roster older than 28.  Savage is 25, but with contract we don't know if he'll be part of the future or not.  Obviously Leavitt is strictly ST barring extreme crisis.  Not sure how much snaps-capacity the other vets have.  Hope Ford plays up.  

Younger guys:  Anthony Johnson 23 7th round; Benny Sapp 22 UDFA; Innis Gaines 24.  

Would be awfully nice if Johnson and/or Sapp look promising and are worth keeping as part of the future.  Want somebody young with a long-term future to emerge in that room, and with snaps-capable potential, not just another ST.  Hoping Johson looks good enough to keep on 53, and Sapp on 69.  

• Like 1

I don't disagree with most of Schneidman's list.  I do think I would rather have Taylor (or RB3) over WR 6.  I think I also would rather have Garvin or Cox over Hollins.  And probably all of these guys over Wilson, Moore, or Owens.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Younger guys:  Anthony Johnson 23 7th round; Benny Sapp 22 UDFA; Innis Gaines 24.  

Doesn't it seems like we have had Innis Gaines for like 5 years?  Crazy to me that he is still 24.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't disagree with most of Schneidman's list.  I do think I would rather have Taylor (or RB3) over WR 6.  I think I also would rather have Garvin or Cox over Hollins.  And probably all of these guys over Wilson, Moore, or Owens.

Doesn't it seems like we have had Innis Gaines for like 5 years?  Crazy to me that he is still 24.

Agree. 

1. Yeah, Innis seems like he's been around for a while, but this will be only his 3rd year.  3rd year is when developmental UDFA should be ready to step up.  Would be fun to see him emerge and be solid.  He's a pretty physical guy, not afraid to tackle.  
  2. WR:  I agree, why keep 6?   6th WR is a redshirt anyway.  I'm kinda doubtful that either Heath or any of the other 6th-WR contenders are too good to risk sending to PS, and while Heath has size for ST, I doubt he's winning the ST competition.  Keep 6 WR if you like a talent and can afford a redshirt spot, but seems optional to me.  
  3. 3rd RB:  If Jones or Dillon get hurt, I like Goodson better for playing offensive snaps and actually getting any touches.  Has quickness, Taylor does not. But absent injury, 3rd back isn't seeing snaps or touches. Taylor is trying to win a spot for ST.  
  4.  Hollins has been ahead of VanNess in OTA and minicamp.  Things can change, of course.  I have no idea.  
  5. Schneidman seemed to think Erik Wilson is pretty safe, yet another of the ST roster locks.  
  6. I admit sometimes these roster predictions seem to keep a million guys for ST!  Wilson, Leavitt,  Carpenter, Taylor, Moore, McDuffie, etc. etc.  Rich B might get to choose more guys than anybody but OL!
  • Like 1