Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

19 hours ago, Refugee said:

Got a redeye from out west just in time to get tucked in under a cloud of Canadian smoke here in WI. I’ve grown more sensitive to poor AQ over the years. We should be getting free Crown Royal and maple syrup while suffering through this nonsense. Hope everything clears up by TC for the fans but especially the players. 

It started rolling in around 8 pm last night in St Louis.  I was at the baseball game, and it started getting hazy.  There is a definite haze in the air today too.  Probably not going to stop the sweltering Midwest sun though.  So, it has definitely gotten at least this far South.

Last year, the Packers scored just 50% of the time in goal to go situations (32nd league-wide).

Seeing stat like that is a reminder of how simple reversion towards the mean ought to help scoring.  Hard to reproduce that level of extreme outlier.  Plus it will be an obvious point of coaching analysis and practice attention.  Hasn't always been an MLF problem, either.  

I agree with their thought that a QB who can run can help in this, whether that being getting around the corner to score himself, or rolling away from pressure to extend plays.  A hypothetically healthier, better, more stable O-line could help, were the injury bug to stay away. 

It may be that our o-linemen and blocking schemes may not be super ideal for goal-to-go, even if the intended starters stay healthy?  It's not like Bakhti or Runyan or Tiny Tom are drive-blockers who push the line in short-yardage.  Push-the-line drive-blocking just isn't what our guys are built for.  

A QB who is a threat to run is a help in gtg situations because it's just one more thing defenses have to worry about. In 2020 Packers were a great rz team because the left side of the OL of Linsley, Jenkins, Bakhtiari was elite. Packers need more out of Josh Myers (or Tom) if they want to approach that level in 2023.

59 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

A QB who is a threat to run is a help in gtg situations because it's just one more thing defenses have to worry about. In 2020 Packers were a great rz team because the left side of the OL of Linsley, Jenkins, Bakhtiari was elite. Packers need more out of Josh Myers (or Tom) if they want to approach that level in 2023.

I agree with this but do think Myers is going to have a very good year this year. The two guys to the left of him should return to elite status, both over a year removed from ACL surgeries. I think/hope Tom grabs a hold of the RT position and we can keep Nijman as the swing tackle. I hope there is someone who really gives Runyan a battle for RG, not because I don't like him but I want one of the second years guys besides Tom to have an impact. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I wish the Packers would adopt some of this type of rizz(just learned what this means) instead of being so family friendly.

Funny! Who is this guy, assume he's a running back if he's choosing Wisconsin. Are those three to his right sisters or does he have multiple girlfriends. 

The guy put a lot of thought into this, A+ for that. 

On 6/30/2023 at 4:14 PM, craig said:

Seeing stat like that is a reminder of how simple reversion towards the mean ought to help scoring.  Hard to reproduce that level of extreme outlier.  Plus it will be an obvious point of coaching analysis and practice attention.  Hasn't always been an MLF problem, either.  

I agree with their thought that a QB who can run can help in this, whether that being getting around the corner to score himself, or rolling away from pressure to extend plays.  A hypothetically healthier, better, more stable O-line could help, were the injury bug to stay away. 

It may be that our o-linemen and blocking schemes may not be super ideal for goal-to-go, even if the intended starters stay healthy?  It's not like Bakhti or Runyan or Tiny Tom are drive-blockers who push the line in short-yardage.  Push-the-line drive-blocking just isn't what our guys are built for.  

It'll help if we just run the plays called at the goal line.

I remember watching both Bakh and Jenkins throw their hands in the air in disgust when Rodgers passed out of an RPO that would have scored on the hand off.

• Like 1