Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

I remain hopeful.. There's definite skills there...but if this is correct...then that's a bummer of a high draft pick.

It would certainly help him if they used him correctly, but that's part of the problem. Eventually the team has to acknowledge that Watson isn't going to be an X receiver who just lines up and beats his man in coverage. He's a scheme player who's primary use should be bubble screens, jet sweeps and 8/9 routes. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

It would certainly help him if they used him correctly, but that's part of the problem. Eventually the team has to acknowledge that Watson isn't going to be an X receiver who just lines up and beats his man in coverage. He's a scheme player who's primary use should be bubble screens, jet sweeps and 8/9 routes. 

I've cooled on the jet sweep action for him. He's a big guy and not a quick cutter...so having him run lateral behind the LOS.....perhaps not the best use of his skills IMO. When we get better blocking on the edges perhaps that will change a bit.....but I dont see him gaining significant yardage with jet sweeps at this point.

Christian Watson's Dad on Twitter.....

"What amazes me about this Green Bay Packers fan base, and some of you reporters quite frankly, is the fact that this team, which is literally the youngest in the NFL, was not expected to even compete this season, yet have found a way to be in every game. You all are about as bad as it gets, and I played in Philly with their schizophrenic fans.

Quite frankly, you all were awful to Aaron Rodgers when he took over for Favre, and pretty much any time he wasn’t perfect on the field! You wanted Davante Adams to be cut by his 2nd season… AND you somehow think you “deserve” better than what this team is?!? You all don’t deserve a damn thing but to support the players who’re out there playing their ***** off, if you choose to be fans!"

#FairweatherFans

#GoPackGo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

If this season is now just about "progress" and "growth" for these guys, Wicks is the guy I'm playing more and more every game. People talk about Davante Adams' growth, well Wicks is a lot closer to Adams than Watson will ever be from a skill set standpoint. It's one of the reasons why the "wEll LoOk aT ADams" crowd misses the point half the time. Adams already had 8-10 skills you want as a WR when he came out. He already had tools in his bag such as a decent release package, route running, being able to move in/out breaks, etc. He simply had a hands issue for two years in GB and then took the skills he already possessed and mastered them. Watson has maybe 1-2 of those same tools. He's a borderline terrible route runner, is slow and stiff in and out of breaks (look at his route on the tipped INT against Pitt - it's bad), doesn't high point balls, doesn't use his body position well, has below average hands...I mean we can keep going. One of the reasons why Watson has to make so many contested catches despite 4.3 speed because he doesn't understand how to separate in the NFL. You can't simply "run by" guys like the the level of competition he faced in college. You have to be able release, stack, use your hands, use body position, use leverage -- all these tools that good WRs use to separate in this game. Watson doesn't do any of them as a boundary WR. 

If the Packers truly don't do anything to address their WR core next season (which I hope is not the case but I'm a realist), the path forward is a Doubs-Wicks combo with Reed in the slot and Musgrave as your Y. Watson is your MVS-gadget guy who you scheme up a few touches every game. We need to stop forcing a larger role on him because he doesn't have the skill set for it. 

There's absolutely no reason that Watson can't be a DK Metcalf clone. I refuse to accept that he needs to run every route that all the other receivers do. It's about using your players to their strengths. They don't make DK run a lot of breaking routes in Seattle, they say, hey you're huge and fast as hell, we're going to run you like a deer all over the field. 

Love is best attacking downfield, it's proven at this point with the style we attacked Chi, ATL, NO, LAR and Pitt with is how he's best utilized. You're going to need a WR like Watson in that system. They need to get on the same page both schematically and timing.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's absolutely no reason that Watson can't be a DK Metcalf clone. I refuse to accept that he needs to run every route that all the other receivers do. It's about using your players to their strengths. They don't make DK run a lot of breaking routes in Seattle, they say, hey you're huge and fast as hell, we're going to run you like a deer all over the field. 

Love is best attacking downfield, it's proven at this point with the style we attacked Chi, ATL, NO, LAR and Pitt with is how he's best utilized. You're going to need a WR like Watson in that system. They need to get on the same page both schematically and timing.

wonder what Watson had success with in 2022?  from recollection, it was mostly crossers and not vertical routes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

"What amazes me about this Green Bay Packers fan base, and some of you reporters quite frankly, is the fact that this team, which is literally the youngest in the NFL, was not expected to even compete this season, yet have found a way to be in every game. You all are about as bad as it gets, and I played in Philly with their schizophrenic fans.

Quite frankly, you all were awful to Aaron Rodgers when he took over for Favre, and pretty much any time he wasn’t perfect on the field! You wanted Davante Adams to be cut by his 2nd season… AND you somehow think you “deserve” better than what this team is?!? You all don’t deserve a damn thing but to support the players who’re out there playing their ***** off, if you choose to be fans!"

#FairweatherFans

#GoPackGo

It is clear to me now that Watson's dad frequents this forum.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Watson could be a Metcalf clone.  For about 2 catches underneath.  Then he'd be hurt.  Metcalf is physical after the catch.  Metcalf is physical during his route.  Metcalf is just physical.

Watson is not.  At least not yet.

They are alike in that they both run really fast.  And you are right, they should be used that way.  But one is a whole lot more physical with his game than the other.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Watson could be a Metcalf clone.  For about 2 catches underneath.  Then he'd be hurt.  Metcalf is physical after the catch.  Metcalf is physical during his route.  Metcalf is just physical.

Watson is not.  At least not yet.

They are alike in that they both run really fast.  And you are right, they should be used that way.  But one is a whole lot more physical with his game than the other.

Watson is physical too, I get it with the injury thing, but dude blocks and is aggressive with it. He just needs another stretch like this time last year to get us off his back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leader said:

#FairweatherFans

#GoPackGo

I need to go retweet this with a #StatKing

• Like 1