Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

44 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Well, duh.  But the JRJ situation has to be resolved before the draft, or at the time of signing an outside free agent.  So my question remains, if JRJ is not a major upgrade to Sean Rhyan, why would you re-sign him rather than try to find another guard in the draft? Save a few million on the cap, and see if you can do better with a younger player.

I don't think it's "duh". I'm likely in the minority here of people who would want to shell out a big contract for IOL this off-season. But I would.

I'm not sure I buy that JRJ is not a large enough upgrade over Rhyan and/or that their combined salaries would not be good value for OGs 2/3 on your team. I'm not sure what the market for JRJ will be. It's possible he gets an offer higher than his ability outside of GB and he takes that instead.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

My preference would be to find a guy that's obviously better than both and get him because I want a stud OL.

This is my preference as well. For all the consternation about JRJ vs Rhyan, I think most people are forgetting a draft could (relatively easily) come in and outplay both for a lower cost.

• Like 1

I think it's a no brainer to have JRJ back if the price is right. The great unknown is what the market will dictate the price is.

I know for certain I'd rather have Jenkins, JRJ and Rhyan over Jenkins, Rhyan and Newman. The question is can we afford that (i think the answer is no)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

This is my preference as well. For all the consternation about JRJ vs Rhyan, I think most people are forgetting a draft could (relatively easily) come in and outplay both for a lower cost.

Yep. I really like prospect OT/OG/C Graham Barton, Duke, from what I can see of clips. Reminds me a bit of Peter Skoronski, though a bit bigger, taller, yet with more bend. The way he moves, his best position might actually be Center. Whatever the case, he offers much versatility. I wouldn't complain if they took him at #25 if he is still on the board. Now, if you think this team is only 2-3 players away, then perhaps that is a luxury as there are arguably greater needs (e.g., Secondary). But I think this team is more like 5-6 players away--still in a bit of a rebuild--so I'm fine if Gute takes the "Best Player Available at a Position of Greater or Lesser Need" approach in the early rounds of the draft, rather than "Greatest need" approach which teams only 2-3 players away from legit contending tends to take.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Yep. I really like prospect OT/OG/C Graham Barton, Duke, from what I can see of clips. Reminds me a bit of Peter Skoronski, though a bit bigger, taller, yet with more bend. The way he moves, his best position might actually be Center. Whatever the case, he offers much versatility. I wouldn't complain if they took him at #25 if he is still on the board. Now, if you think this team is only 2-3 players away, then perhaps that is a luxury as there are arguably greater needs (e.g., Secondary). But I think this team is more like 5-6 players away--still in a bit of a rebuild--so I'm fine if Gute takes the "Best Player Available at a Position of Greater or Lesser Need" approach in the early rounds of the draft, rather than "Greatest need" approach which teams only 2-3 players away from legit contending tends to take.

His versatility probably puts him pretty high on our radar

• Like 1

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think it's "duh". I'm likely in the minority here of people who would want to shell out a big contract for IOL this off-season. But I would.

I'm not sure I buy that JRJ is not a large enough upgrade over Rhyan and/or that their combined salaries would not be good value for OGs 2/3 on your team. I'm not sure what the market for JRJ will be. It's possible he gets an offer higher than his ability outside of GB and he takes that instead.

But this is about retaining JRJ or letting him hit free agency.  

Is JRJ an elite guard that you must pay?

Is JRJ worth re-signing?  Note that 4 million by total cash would rank 27th.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cash/guard/

Is Rhyan noticeably worse? 

To me, the answer to all of these questions is "no." Nothing against JRJ at all.  But every dollar we spend on him is one more dollar that we need to play more cap games for.  Draft and develop another guard this season, and we can have the exact same discussion about Sean Rhyan in two years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Barton gets you a guy who can play across the O line and is being talked about a lot. However, another choice of player at a similar level is Jackson Powers-Johnson, a 6'3", 320lb center who has also played plenty of guard. He could be a nice fit at any interior position and is not getting the attention Barton is. He has a very good chance to be there early round 2 (at least it seems so, at this time).

Depending on where you look, he or Van Pran are the best centers this year (Frazier is close, as well).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I know. I'm not suggesting that at all 

Just pointing out that Barry very arguably did his job better than Gary when it mattered most yet the opinions of those two are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Doesn't add up.

Is Joe Barry coming off the equivalent of an ACL to a pass rusher?