Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Unfortunately (for you) this will never occur...simply because I'm not stupid enough to bite into a piece of pizza so hot that it burns the roof of my mouth :)

May your pillow always be hot on both sides

• Like 4

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I used to love Stephen King books.  I would read them over and over.  It might have been my favorite.  First movie or series was pretty bad.  Second one was quite good.

Dark Tower was a really good series of books.  Terrible movie.

Didn't like or hate Pet Sematary as a book.  First movie was pretty bad, but I remember it was a pretty good date.  Never saw the second one.

Then his books started going downhill quickly.  And if I see they are movies, I'm resigned to the fact that they will be poor.

I don't know... I saw Dreamcatcher in the theater with some friends.  That was one fun time.  It wasn't any good, not even close.

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Probably the worst book/movie adaptation I am aware of, but it never really had a chance.  Far too much material to cover in a single movie.  The storyline within the movie wasn't even recognizable.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Probably the worst book/movie adaptation I am aware of, but it never really had a chance.  Far too much material to cover in a single movie.  The storyline within the movie wasn't even recognizable.

I haven't seen or read Dark Tower.  But I would like to nominate The Hobbit for this distinction as well.  There were three great scenes:  Riddles in the Dark with Gollum and Bilbo;  the first meeting of the company at Bilbo's house (as chaotic as it was on screen, that is what it was like in the book as well); and Bilbo's meeting with Smaug.  The scene where they get caught by the trolls is decent.  The rest was bloated with goofy, funny, consequence-less action, added characters, interspecies love triangles, and a forced conflict with Sauron that originally was off page and just hinted at.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I haven't seen or read Dark Tower.  But I would like to nominate The Hobbit for this distinction as well.  There were three great scenes:  Riddles in the Dark with Gollum and Bilbo;  the first meeting of the company at Bilbo's house (as chaotic as it was on screen, that is what it was like in the book as well); and Bilbo's meeting with Smaug.  The scene where they get caught by the trolls is decent.  The rest was bloated with goofy, funny, consequence-less action, added characters, interspecies love triangles, and a forced conflict with Sauron that originally was off page and just hinted at.

The issue with the Hobbit movies is the opposite of what happened with Dark Tower.  There isn't nearly enough Hobbit book material to make a trilogy, so 75% of the Hobbit trilogy is bloated nonsense.  The storyline from the book was completely swallowed by whatever story they were trying to tell with the trilogy. 

Then again, the Hobbit trilogy cleared something like $3B at the box office, so what do I know?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Eragon was worse. I didn't even watch Dark Tower, but Eragon was 1000x worse. 

I was under the impression that the Dark Tower isn't strictly speaking an adaptation. The movie is a continuation. I don't want to spoil the plot and explain what's happening, but the evidence is in the things Roland carries.

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I used to love Stephen King books.  I would read them over and over.  It might have been my favorite.  First movie or series was pretty bad.  Second one was quite good.

Didn't like or hate Pet Sematary as a book.  First movie was pretty bad, but I remember it was a pretty good date.  Never saw the second one.

Then his books started going downhill quickly.  And if I see they are movies, I'm resigned to the fact that they will be poor.

More of a John Grisham fan myself. That and I've probably read every book ever put in print on the Kennedy Assassination. 

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

I was under the impression that the Dark Tower isn't strictly speaking an adaptation. The movie is a continuation. I don't want to spoil the plot and explain what's happening, but the evidence is in the things Roland carries.

You are sort of correct, which is part of what makes the movie hard to follow for anyone who's read the books

Intended as the first installment in a multimedia franchise, the film combines various elements from the eight-novel series, mostly from the first and third volumes, and takes place in both modern-day New York City and in Mid-World, Roland's Old West-style parallel universe. The film also serves as a sequel to the novels.