Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

I've been on this board for awhile and a couple years ago I think I had a pretty great year with my posts.  Made some really good points and got my post count up that year - it was an awesome year.    If I can just stick with it 5-6 more years and keep my post counts up in the top 50 in just a couple of those years - feel like I'll be a shoe-in for the footballsfuture.com Packers subforum Hall of Fame.     

Hall of very good, sorry.  :D 

• Like 1

Fowler suggests it wouldn’t be surprising if the Packers were in the Xavier McKinney or Kamren Curl markets when free agency starts. Also mentions Quandre Diggs as an option.

Translation: Fowler has no idea what Gute will do.

• Like 1

Being 'in the market' is one thing. Being in the market at a competitive price, is not the same thing.

I think the Packers lowball quite often - which sometimes works out for them, but there are many occasions where you need to pay a little more than is comfortable, to secure a guy.

On 3/7/2024 at 3:31 PM, MacReady said:

AJ Hawk was the right pick up until 12th overall based on who was available and that’s wild to me.

It's not his fault he came out on a crap draft.

The only teams in that top 10 who didn't end up kicking themselves were probably Houston and the Jets. Maybe SF, Davis was pretty good (gets overrated around here but long and productive career)

On 3/7/2024 at 4:23 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Is Pete the guy that was here that was convinced that AJ Hawk had the biggest contract in the history of the NFL?  

Frickin Don Majkowski of 56 TDs to 56 INTs and a 22-26 record as a starter is in the Packers Hall of Fame.  

I get it, you want an all-timer at pick 5.  But that whole class sucked.  Hawk was the 13th best player by PFR's DrAV, which isn't the greatest stat ever, but still.  You get more points for being drafted later, only D'Brickashaw Ferguson ranked higher of the players that were drafted before Hawk.  Greg Jennings was 12th, we also got top 32 value out of Darryn Colledge, so we did really well.  

Put Hawk in the Packers HoF.  He is awesome, and he deserves it. 

Majik's 1989 qualifies him....between Starr and Favre, there were few of any GB players who earned MVP discussion.

As far as the bar for PHoF, I set it at Robert Brown - a durable and dependable two-gap DE. Team was mediocre -to-bad during his tenure. Hawk was a better player on better teams

On 3/9/2024 at 9:05 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Motivated Eddie was so good.

I always felt like Lacy's motivation on field was always there, It was just off field where he lacked discipline and fire. 

Even got out of shape and slowed down he still is productive on a per-snap basis

On 3/7/2024 at 5:23 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Frickin Don Majkowski of 56 TDs to 56 INTs and a 22-26 record as a starter is in the Packers Hall of Fame.

Had to go back in time to find this in order to comment...but thats just downright stupid. I liked the Magic Man as much as the next fan - but he's in the PHOF with those stats? Didnt realize that and think it calls the criteria for getting in into serious question.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Had to go back in time to find this in order to comment...but thats just downright stupid. I liked the Magic Man as much as the next fan - but he's in the PHOF with those stats? Didnt realize that and think it calls the criteria for getting in into serious question.

It is the team's hall of fame though.  Majik was a fun player for a couple of seasons.  IMO, this is the type of player that goes into a team's hall of fame.  You put in your actual HOF guys, your hall of really good guys, and then players that mean something to the fanbase.  Lots of people liked Majik.  I would even suggest that Samkon Gado should be in the team's hall of fame.  He is a good dude, who gave us a blip of entertainment in an otherwise waste of a season.  Part of a team hall is also to get them in for autograph sessions for super fanatics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It is the team's hall of fame though.  Majik was a fun player for a couple of seasons.  IMO, this is the type of player that goes into a team's hall of fame.  You put in your actual HOF guys, your hall of really good guys, and then players that mean something to the fanbase.  Lots of people liked Majik.  I would even suggest that Samkon Gado should be in the team's hall of fame.  He is a good dude, who gave us a blip of entertainment in an otherwise waste of a season.  Part of a team hall is also to get them in for autograph sessions for super fanatics.

I got it. He was a popular guy for the Cardiac Packers. Still. There should be standards higher than popularity IMO. I remember the teams pretty much stunk back then...but I was unaware of his individual stats - which dont have read "HOF" to me in any way.