Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

I feel like Jordy was on the decline way more so than Jones is, I think this one hurts way more honestly. 

yep - i'd still have killed to have Jordy's red zone connection with AR a million times over than whatever they planned for with Graham that year. Some decisions just boggle the mind.

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I feel like Jordy was on the decline way more so than Jones is, I think this one hurts way more honestly. 

I think you're right on that, but I always worried about Jones getting hurt. He ran so crazy sometimes. I can't figure out how he made it this far without a major ding up. Good for him though can see him in Dallas by tomorrow. 

• Like 1

This feels like signing Graham and cutting Nelson all over again.

The upside is Jacobs has just turned 26. So we're hopefully looking forward to 4 years of solid RB play.

I did say in my previous post that cutting Jones a year early rather than a year late might be on the cards and that we shouldn't worry because the Packers usually does well finding good RBs. When you really look deeply into his stats he hasn't been consistent enough, 4 rushing TDs in the last two seasons is a poor return no matter how you look at it and on top of that hasn't been able to consistently stay healthy. With Dillion failing to live up to our expectations the RB room probably needed an upgrade. The Packers tried to get Jonathon Taylor last year so the writing was on the wall for a while.

I'm not against the Jacobs signing. Just sad it shook out that way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Laces Out said:

that's a tough one to swallow, up there with Jordy.

****ing ****. Fix the goddamn defense - not play musical chairs with RB's.

TBH I wasn't all that upset when GB parted with Jordy.  Felt like it was time.  This feels different.

• Like 2

Aaron Nagler -   Let me guess. You were mad when they drafted Love too. Patience. I'm as gutted as anyone that they are moving on from Jones, but Brian's job is too set them up for long term success and this is undoubtedly part of that. This is a brand new era of Packers football.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I think you're right on that, but I always worried about Jones getting hurt. He ran so crazy sometimes. I can't figure out how he made it this far without a major ding up. Good for him though can see him in Dallas by tomorrow. 

The injury part for me probably contributed a ton in this move.

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

The injury part for me probably contributed a ton in this move.

agreed Go pack and age he's 29 Josh is younger isn't as fast wont' break away but with our scheme and blocking and WR/TE unit I think nice things are in the future for young Mr Jacobs in GB. 

Easily one of my all time favorite Packers. Great player and even better person. Holding out slim hope he may come back on a reduced deal. Thank you AJ for everything you did for GB.

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

Not at that price 

Can someone explain how trading NFL contracts work? Wouldn't the Packers eat the 'dead' cap, and the new team takes on the balance?

Losing a fan favorite in Jones is a gut-punch--arguably more than trading Rodgers and cutting Bak. But putting feelings aside and understanding how the Packers try to make cap-wise roster decisions relative to the longterm, I get it. Don't like it. But I get it.