Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Jaire dialed in. Defensive backfield should look very different this year with a motivated Jaire and much more talent at safety.

“I think the biggest thing,” Alexander said, “is understanding that, although I am on an island all the time and all day, it’s the culmination of everybody being around, and the culmination of the chemistry we’re building now that’s going to matter later on in the season. You’ll see it.”

“Going into Year 7,” Alexander said, “at this point, I’m trying not to make it as much about myself and just do what’s best for the team.”

“I think it’s just trial and tribulations, you know,” Alexander said. “We all grow at different stages of our lifetime, whether that be sooner or later. So it’s just trial and error, and also wanted to be here for the guys. They need a leader around here.”

I think Jaire is on his way to bring a "real" captain this year.  He's been great since his suspension ... Seems to really have rededicated himself.  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 6:22 PM, Brat&Beer said:
Eric Stokes said trip to Badger Athletic Performance revealed foot wasn't strong enough to support hamstring, leading to rash of injuries. He attacked leg strength all offseason. "I feel like I’m faster than I was before." Hell of a thought. Stokes ran a 4.25 before.

Watched his interview.  Almost gave me hope. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I assume it's a complicated matter that will take time to finalize. I would like to see the contract be for a very long time. Give him the necessary guaranteed cash to go that route. Also giving the Packers, the flexibility to keep enough key pieces around him to have a 5–6-year window with many of the current players. 

Then go win multiple Lombardi trophies. 

Easy-peesy.....

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap - Today the Packers have $20.59M of cap space.

📈On Sunday De'Vondre Campbell's contract falls off netting $9.66M

📉When they sign Morgan & Bullard it will cost $1.97M

Afterwards the Packers will have $28.28M of space to cover in-season costs and Jordan Love's pending extension.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I assume it's a complicated matter that will take time to finalize. I would like to see the contract be for a very long time. Give him the necessary guaranteed cash to go that route. Also giving the Packers, the flexibility to keep enough key pieces around him to have a 5–6-year window with many of the current players. 

Then go win multiple Lombardi trophies. 

I really don't think this contract is going to hurt very badly in 2024.  I'd imagine they lower his contract close to the minimum, and take that money and put it in a form of a signing bonus along with a portion of it in-game bonuses.  Figure we probably get 2-3 years of relatively decent cap hits before it balloons.

23 hours ago, thrILL! said:

The players are hyped!

The roles are pretty easy at this point. 

Nickel:

1T: Kenny Clark is the starter. TJ Slaton is the backup. 

3T: Devonte Wyatt is the starter. Karl Brooks and Colby Wooten are the backups, in that order. 

RDE: Preston Smith is the starter. LVN is the backup. 

LDE: Rashan Gary is the starter. Kingsley Enagbare is the backup. 

* The DEs won't be side specific. 

Mike: Quay Walker is the starter. Isaiah McDuffie is probably the backup. 

Will: Edgerin Cooper is likely the starter. Though they might have him "overtake" McDuffie in TC. Wouldn't be surprised if Hopper is backing up this spot by the end of the year. 

Field Corner: Jaire will start. Whoever loses the Valentine/Stokes battle will be the backup. 

Boundary Corner: Valentine will battle Stokes to start. Whoever loses will be the backup. 

Nickel Corner: Nixon will start. If he's hurt, the spot will be filled be a combination of ILB/Safety/Perimeter Corners. 

Strong Safety: X will start. There will be a battle for the backup spot, but I suspect AJJ has the edge here. 

Free Safety: Bullard will start. There will be a battle for the backup spot, but I suspect AJJ has the edge here. 

In the base: You'll sit Nixon and put one of McDuffie/Hopper in at the Sam. 

In the Coverage Dime: You'll sit Cooper and put in one of the DBs, I'd probably play Williams, but Ballentine and AJJ will also get looks. 

In the Pressure Dime: You hope somebody displaces Kenny Clark, whether that's LVN or one of the backup 3Ts, it doesn't matter.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2024 at 10:02 AM, Leader said:

Cant wait for GB's ownership of CHI to continue.

Fun fact, while no one would consider the Georgia Tech/Georgia football rivalry to be all that close, the Jackets have beaten the Dawgs as many times since 2014 as the Bears have beaten the Packers in that same time frame,despite playing half as many contests.