Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Agents for other safeties believe that teams may be ignoring much of the entire position group -- and other younger safeties overall -- as a means of not just singling Reid out, himself. It may not be as obvious that Reid is blackballed if there are a handful of similar players who can nary get a phone call from a team with stated interest in them, and if all anyone seems to be willing to pay, hypothetically, is around $4 million per year. At various times this offseason clubs like the PackersBrowns, Bucs and Cowboys have been sniffing around on safeties, and, boy, there are still plenty of them to choose from. Twenty-five remain on the market as we speak.

Granted it's coming from Jason La Canfora, but it's interesting if the Packers are indeed to looking at the safety market.

4 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I like the tweet about Biegel. Man, how great would it be if he made an impact this year? Feels like a lot of people have written him off after a forgettable, injury-plagued rookie season.

This is true.

14 hours ago, Leader said:

This is true.

Even if he does contribute we still need another edge rusher correct? Maybe just not at the top of the draft. I think BPA provided the player is good enough to pass an available player at a position if need. I’m glad I don’t make these decisions. I’d probably have the positions I need with the players I like at them all in a row next to the overall BPA chart and assign points to all of them. There would be an ecceptible deviation there that was simple right lol.

4 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Even if he does contribute we still need another edge rusher correct? Maybe just not at the top of the draft. I think BPA provided the player is good enough to pass an available player at a position if need. I’m glad I don’t make these decisions. I’d probably have the positions I need with the players I like at them all in a row next to the overall BPA chart and assign points to all of them. There would be an ecceptible deviation there that was simple right lol.

Yes. Clay's heading for the last roundup....or he's getting closer to it than not - so, infusion of talent is necessary IMO.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Yes. Clay's heading for the last roundup....or he's getting closer to it than not - so, infusion of talent is necessary IMO.

I wish he were more open to extending his career with a shift to the inside. I don't think his childlike hamstrings can take much more of the outside pounding. 

Clay/Perry and whoever the second wave consist of, will have an easier path to a sack when you have Clark/Daniels/Wilkerson (pick two out of three when in sub-packages) as down linemen. I have always liked Capers because of his pressure packages. Pettine also employs pressure packages, but he uses his linemen as part of that pressure. 

It sure sounded like Capers wanted to deploy his defense one way, but TT didn't provide the specific bodies to make it work. Pettine seems to be a bit more flexible in how he provides pressure.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 11:55 AM, Kepler said:

I wish he were more open to extending his career with a shift to the inside. I don't think his childlike hamstrings can take much more of the outside pounding. 

I wonder what percentage is him not wanting to versus us not. I go back and forth on that. We'll see how he's used to year I guess

On 3/27/2018 at 7:00 PM, Lodestar said:

I like the tweet about Biegel. Man, how great would it be if he made an impact this year? Feels like a lot of people have written him off after a forgettable, injury-plagued rookie season.

Not writing him off, but he's also a 4th round draft pick so I'm not expecting him to have the impact that I would expect the No. 14 overall pick to have if we go EDGE. Biegel hopefully will become a good depth player as well as a good ST player. 

On 3/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, CWood21 said:

Granted it's coming from Jason La Canfora, but it's interesting if the Packers are indeed to looking at the safety market.

I wouldn't be opposed to it. We missed out on a bigger fish CB so why not get a vet safety. Still plenty of opportunities for Brice and Jones even if you added a Reid/Vaccaro to the mix. Those guys can play in the slot as well which helps the secondary overall. 

On 3/27/2018 at 12:42 PM, deltarich87 said:

Hope they give Jones the full opportunity to be the go-to guy. I like Williams' versatility and he improved as a runner by the end of the season but for me there was just no comparison between him and Jones as a true running threat. Jones has the vision, bounce, and explosion we haven't had at the position since Ahman. He'd be my No. 1 going into camp followed by Williams. Monty would have a third down role with some slot play as well (basically a James White).