Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman -    Finished 4 games of Austin Hooper, he's a nice player, but man does he lack any dynamic or special trait. I cannot believe I'm about to say this, but give me Jimmy Graham @ 1 year - $8 million over Hooper at 4 years - $40+ million. Just not worth it. He’s not a matchup problem at all. He’s not a great run blocker. So... what is he? He’s a solid tight end that will get way overpaid.

Atlanta fans in Gen said the same things. Pass

Let’s trade the 7th we got for Montgomery for RG3.  We’re going to be good enough this season to be able to win a Super Bowl with a Nick Foles type are QB.  Don’t want to throw away that chance on Tim Boyle.  Gotta get a backup who’s shown he can at least manage a game.  

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Let’s trade the 7th we got for Montgomery for RG3.  We’re going to be good enough this season to be able to win a Super Bowl with a Nick Foles type are QB.  Don’t want to throw away that chance on Tim Boyle.  Gotta get a backup who’s shown he can at least manage a game.  

I can never tell how serious you are, but you gotta think RG3 is way more valuable to the Ravens in exactly the role you described.

Just now, Lodestar said:

I can never tell how serious you are, but you gotta think RG3 is way more valuable to the Ravens in exactly the role you described.

I’m kinda serious.  He’s apparently on the trade block.  Doesn’t have to be RG3, but I do want someone other than an undrafted nobody as our backup QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I do want someone other than an undrafted nobody as our backup

I want the best back up we can get even IF that back-up is an undrafted nobody. Pedigree don't mean squat, performance does

"In the first three weeks of the preseason, the 24-year old quarterback has delivered with 358 yards, five touchdowns, and no interceptions. After seeing his stats, it’s no surprise that he’s been the highest-graded player on the team this preseason. (pff)

He knows the offense, the WRs, the blocking scheme - any outsider starts with that handicap. Boyle already beat out Kizer who had a better pedigree as a 2nd round pick and NFL reg season experience. RGIII is not known for being a rocket surgeon and the other options in FA will slap your cap.

18 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

no no no we're not doing the thing where we hype our backup qb because he balls out against future UPS drivers again.

Then why did Gute go into 2019 with Boyle as the only other QB on the roster ? Packers didn't even carry 3, only 2 QB's all year.
Gute knows that AR is older and has missed time - yet he dumped Kizer, didn't bring in anybody else and went with Boyle as his guy.
Any number of back-ups hit the market at cutdown time, yet none of them were brought in. What can you surmise from those actions ?
And if Boyle was good enough to be the lone back up in 2019, why wouldn't he be in 2020 after additional development time ?

That some fans aren't on board with Boyle is fine by me.
The front office knows the guy, sees him in practice and were comfortable with Boyle as the only back up on the 53.
The GM and HC think more of Boyle than some fans do, we'll see how it plays out over the next 6 months.

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Then why did Gute go into 2019 with Boyle as the only other QB on the roster ? Packers didn't even carry 3, only 2 QB's all year.
Gute knows that AR is older and has missed time - yet he dumped Kizer, didn't bring in anybody else and went with Boyle as his guy.
Any number of back-ups hit the market at cutdown time, yet none of them were brought in. What can you surmise from those actions ?
And if Boyle was good enough to be the lone back up in 2019, why wouldn't he be in 2020 after additional development time ?

That some fans aren't on board with Boyle is fine by me.
The front office knows the guy, sees him in practice and were comfortable with Boyle as the only back up on the 53.
The GM and HC think more of Boyle than some fans do, we'll see how it plays out over the next 6 months.

I think Gute knows that if AR gets hurt then we're cooked either way. 

Listen, I love every player 1-53 and sincerely put every ounce of energy behind supporting them. Part of the reason Preseason is fun for me is watching the backup QBs. Maybe we have a hidden gem with Boyle being the sole backup, but I certainly think we can upgrade there. 

I just don't see much of a difference between Hundley and Kizer and Boyle and Tolzien and Harrell etc etc

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I like Boyle a lot and hope he's really good, but we need to see him in regular season action before we really know what he is/will be.

Took Rodgers all of 2008 and at least part of 2009 to win over the fan base.
The front office knew much sooner, that's why they were willing to re-do his deal in October 2008. The fan base all bellowed about how dumb the Packers were for extending an "unproven" guy.  
Boyle certainly ain't Rodgers, but the fans are usually delayed by a year or so because they don't see the players in practice, meeting rooms & year-end reviews.

31 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The front office knew much sooner, that's why they were willing to re-do his deal in October 2008. The fan base all bellowed about how dumb the Packers were for extending an "unproven" guy.  

He won me over on 11-29-07.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Boyle certainly ain't Rodgers, but the fans are usually delayed by a year or so because they don't see the players in practice, meeting rooms & year-end reviews.

They also hedged the bet on Rodgers taking 2 QBs in 08. They probably knew by October Brohm was a bust.

No real point to this post other than Brohm sucks.