Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I basically worked out this morning on about a 12 hour fast. However, sometimes I drag it out to 20-21 hours, working out at 3, not eating since 6 the previous day. 

And you eat directly following the workout usually?

49 minutes ago, braylon said:

And you eat directly following the workout usually?

Usually within an hour or two. In a perfect world it would be within a half hour. Just break your fast with a nice protein and starch like a sweet potato. Fatty sides like avocado I also recommend 👍👍 

• Like 1

So, I've avoided buying pre-workout just because I have trouble sleeping most of the time and I'm afraid if I drink it before going to the gym (around 5:30 PM) I'll be up all night. Would it hurt/help if I drank it in the morning rather than in the evening? Or should I just stick to not even bothering with it?

53 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

So, I've avoided buying pre-workout just because I have trouble sleeping most of the time and I'm afraid if I drink it before going to the gym (around 5:30 PM) I'll be up all night. Would it hurt/help if I drank it in the morning rather than in the evening? Or should I just stick to not even bothering with it?

It would help if you drank it in the morning and then worked out in the morning.  It's not going to do a lot for you if you take it in the morning and then workout in the evening, outside of getting you wired early in the day.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 10:46 AM, Fl0nkerton said:

Save your money, just drink coffee. Caffeine is responsible for most of the effects you feel from a pre-workout. 150-200 mg is the dosage in most.The creatine that is in PWOs definitely helps too, lets you get that extra rep and such, but better to take creatine properly than only take it when you workout via a PWO, and it can be bought by itself for a lot cheaper. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Save your money, just drink coffee. Caffeine is responsible for most of the effects you feel from a pre-workout. 150-200 mg is the dosage in most.The creatine that is in PWOs definitely helps too, lets you get that extra rep and such, but better to take creatine properly than only take it when you workout via a PWO, and it can be bought by itself for a lot cheaper. 

Seconded.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, Fl0nkerton said:

Take Magnesium Threonate before bed, it will calm down your CNS and brain.  I take some form of Magnesium with dinner then I take this concoction before bed and it's always lights out deep sleep.

https://strengthsenseinutraceuticals.com/product/yin-reserve/

• Like 1

I don't understand how people workout later in the day.  I've always just woken up three hours before I go to work.  Even when I worked at 5 AM.  I feel like there's no way you'll have the energy or motivation you need to get as much out of a workout as you could if you did it before work.

I wake up at 8 AM every single day, have two cups of coffee, then a light breakfast, then I workout, go to work at 2, get home at 10-11, go to sleep at midnight to one AM, get 7-8 hours every single night and I am never tired or sleepy during the day. 

I get it for people who have weird work schedules, but if there's nothing holding you back from going to sleep at the same time and waking up at the same time every day, I feel like you deserve to be groggy and sleepy all day. 

And I really, really, really hate it when my idiot cousins complain about not being able to sleep at night.  Gosh, you think you can't sleep when you get in the cycle of staying up until 4 AM on weekends and taking naps for your lunch break and drinking soda at 11 PM and sleeping in until 1 PM on days you don't work? 

But that rant is unrelated. 

If you have a problem drinking energy drinks late, change your schedule to working out in the morning. 

I think it's all about adaption. We can get our bodies used to any workout time. If you change things up, give it a few weeks, and that time will become the new "optimal" time to lift for YOU. Back in college I went a year working out at like 10PM, thought for me that was just when my body was at it's best. Then I ended up in a very early class another semester, so I started lifting around 6AM, and after a few weeks it felt amazing. Now I am a 4-5PM lifter, which is also the latest I can drink coffee without it effecting my sleep too much.

• Like 1

About a month ago I stopped dead lifting because I was getting a weird feeling in my leg. I thought it was due to over training with running so I just gave it up for a little bit. Deadlifting last night, I got that same feeling again. It's like a mild electric shock just above my knee in my right leg and it happens at the top of the lift. It doesn't hurt at all, it's just something that happens. Anyone know what this might be and if it's a cuase for concern?

45 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

About a month ago I stopped dead lifting because I was getting a weird feeling in my leg. I thought it was due to over training with running so I just gave it up for a little bit. Deadlifting last night, I got that same feeling again. It's like a mild electric shock just above my knee in my right leg and it happens at the top of the lift. It doesn't hurt at all, it's just something that happens. Anyone know what this might be and if it's a cuase for concern?

My recommendation: See a chiropractor. Could be an alignment issue/putting pressure on a nerve or something. I had a similar issue in my hip/pelvis from deadlifting a year ago that was putting major pressure in my hip and lower back.

Day 2 in the books of my "Dad Bod 45 not quite x" Routine. I'll sum it up as follows:

45 Days WITHOUT:

*Desserts/Sweets of any kind

*Alcohol

6 weeks OF:

*Drinking only black coffee, unsweetened iced tea, and water

*Lifting 5 days a week WHILE on a fast, immediately followed by drinking a protein shake/smoothie (Whey protein, banana, oats, almond milk/whole milk if I run out of almond milk). I will alternate Bench, Squat, and Deadlift each day, hitting each muscle group 2x per week (on average). I will also be doing 100 pushups each day, 25 pull ups every other day, and hitting my other muscle groups with auxiliary exercises. I will also be finishing in 30 minutes or so (yesterday was 31).

*Logging my weight every Monday AND taking a selfie for body composition

*Max Test every 3 weeks or so

Basically, I want to see what happens to my body doing this. My weight room lift numbers have been THROUGH THE ROOF today and yesterday while lifting on a fast. I want to see if I can have my body composition (and lose weight if possible by about 10 pounds) reach the ideal range, then continue to do this workout routine each day, while gradually adding back an occasional sweet or drink/two on the weekends.

I'm 32, have 3 kids and a wife, and don't have THAT much time to workout, nor do I intend on drastically changing my diet, since I already eat relatively healthy.

12 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbjXzX0CVhU&t=61s

See if this makes it better or worse.