Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

When I made the realization that there is always someone bigger/stronger/faster/whatever so there's no sense in pretending, it was a huge eye-opener. Couple that with recognizing that, barring extreme circumstances in either direction, nobody cares what you're doing in the gym because nobdoy is paying attention to you, it made my workouts loads more stress free. Just worry about your stuff. Stop worrying what someone else is going to think about you. If someone is so preoccupied with what you're doing that they're letting it interfere with their routines, that's on them; their problem, not yours.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

When I made the realization that there is always someone bigger/stronger/faster/whatever so there's no sense in pretending, it was a huge eye-opener. Couple that with recognizing that, barring extreme circumstances in either direction, nobody cares what you're doing in the gym because nobdoy is paying attention to you, it made my workouts loads more stress free. Just worry about your stuff. Stop worrying what someone else is going to think about you. If someone is so preoccupied with what you're doing that they're letting it interfere with their routines, that's on them; their problem, not yours.

As a fatty trying to stop being a fatty, I wish that I had realized this a long time ago.

6 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

This is such a great point.

Ego lifting and worrying about how you appear to others is one of the quickest ways to stall your progress and get hurt.

Also, it needs to be said again, NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU'RE DOING IN THE GYM, just do your thing.  That big dude warming up with your max didn't get that way watching other people lift, he did it by focusing on his goals and busting his butt.

Any reasonable seasoned lifter isn't going to give newbies a hard time. If you're curling in the squat rack or it's super busy, then maybe. If you're earnest in your efforts and courteous, people will respect it no matter what you're lifting. 

• 2 weeks later...

im back baby

heard some of you guys do bjj as well

i want to lose some weight, but i dont want to die during practice.  how do you guys set up your diet to give you enough energy to make it through practice?
play a lot more guard?
or do you pass?

23 minutes ago, mistakey said:

im back baby

heard some of you guys do bjj as well

i want to lose some weight, but i dont want to die during practice.  how do you guys set up your diet to give you enough energy to make it through practice?
play a lot more guard?
or do you pass?

I just eat relatively normally, then monitor. If you go through a couple practices and feel completely gassed or drained, next time try eating a bit more earlier in the day or upping your overall intake a little bit to compensate.

2 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

I just eat relatively normally, then monitor. If you go through a couple practices and feel completely gassed or drained, next time try eating a bit more earlier in the day or upping your overall intake a little bit to compensate.

what belt are you old man

Help!

For the last month or two, I've had pain in the joint on the inside of my elbow crease.  I don't know what to call it so sorry about that, but it hurts whenever I use my biceps and it hasn't gone away for at least a month, but I feel like it's been longer.  It's not the biceps, it's the joint that connects my forearm to my upper arm.  Any remedies to heal that?  Anything I should be concerned about beyond just normal wear? 

I've tried skipping a couple arm days and I've tried taking a full week off of working out and it won't go away. 

Edited by HorizontoZenith

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

what belt are you old man

In bjj? Just a one-stripe white. I don't get to train nearly as often as I'd like since I run my own classes 3x a week and I was out for about six months with a shoulder injury at the start of this year. The only time we get rank is when Fabio Santos comes in to run seminars which happens 1-2 times a year. But, it keeps me motivated so it's whatever. Need to make it a bigger priority, though.

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Help!

For the last month or two, I've had pain in the joint on the inside of my elbow crease.  I don't know what to call it so sorry about that, but it hurts whenever I use my biceps and it hasn't gone away for at least a month, but I feel like it's been longer.  It's not the biceps, it's the joint that connects my forearm to my upper arm.  Any remedies to heal that?  Anything I should be concerned about beyond just normal wear? 

I've tried skipping a couple arm days and I've tried taking a full week off of working out and it won't go away. 

Doctor. Go. Soon.

At some point, when "give it a rest for a bit" isn't helping things, you need to seek professional help. Might not be anything serious, but it's far better to see a doctor and not really need to than turn a two-week recovery into a six-month recovery because you didn't listen to your body.

4 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

In bjj? Just a one-stripe white. I don't get to train nearly as often as I'd like since I run my own classes 3x a week and I was out for about six months with a shoulder injury at the start of this year. The only time we get rank is when Fabio Santos comes in to run seminars which happens 1-2 times a year. But, it keeps me motivated so it's whatever. Need to make it a bigger priority, though.

word

whats your game like?

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Help!

Is it joint pain or tendonitis? Google can help differentiate. See a doctor if unsure.

If it's tendonitis you may need to drastically alter your workouts, no pressing, no heavy grip work or any back exercises that require grip (straps are a lifesaver here).

Initial treatment for tendinitis is NSAIDS, rest, stretching, ice.

If it is tendonitis you can do serious damage if you don't back off ie tendon rupture.