Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

For shoulder presses I like to use dumbbells.  The thought of having anything above my head like that is just too scary a thought, and the closest I'll get to that is when I do triceps, but even that I bring around the side of my head with a dumbbell.  I also don't like the confidence a lot of people have when talking about things like that.  If you're not acknowledging that it's a risk, you're gonna have a bad time sometime. 

Anyway, I started doing everything I can with towels for grips and it's been amazing.  Pull-ups, chin-ups, shrugs... Most noticeable impact on my forearm/grip that I've found.  I'll probably start doing farmer's walks that way too.  That plus Fat Gripz for everything else has basically made it so I don't have to do much forearm-specific workouts at all. 

Couple things, you should never use a spotter on OHP. They're more likely to do harm than good, if your losing the weight simply let it fall back and step forward or push it forward and step backwards.

Are you starting with the bar behind your neck for OHP? If so, thats why you're hurting yourself. You should start with the bar on your upper chest/deltoid and raise above your head, pushing your head "through the bar" as it goes above your head. Sounds like you're hurting yourself because of improper technique.

On 9/1/2017 at 2:27 PM, mm6492 said:

Well when I hear someone say OHP, I assume the weight is in front of the head. If you go behind the neck (which I would say just don't do) make sure you have flexibility and control of the weight. But in general, just don't do it. 

OHP behind the head is one of the worst movements you can do.  The OHP is an awesome compound movement, but placing the weight behind your neck seriously jeopardizes the health of your shoulders.  Even if you're using lighter weights and don't feel any discomfort, you're just begging for shoulder impingement and rotator cuff injuries down the road.  Behind the head OHP and upright rows are two movements that I wish people would just forget about.  They're just terrible for your shoulders and there are alternatives that are far superior. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LionsFan01 said:

OHP behind the head is one of the worst movements you can do.  The OHP is an awesome compound movement, but placing the weight behind your neck seriously jeopardizes the health of your shoulders.  Even if you're using lighter weights and don't feel any discomfort, you're just begging for shoulder impingement and rotator cuff injuries down the road.  Behind the head OHP and upright rows are two movements that I wish people would just forget about.  They're just terrible for your shoulders and there are alternatives that are far superior. 

Upright rows arent too bad, you just have keep the bar below your nips.

Not a great exercise though in general imo.

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Upright rows arent too bad, you just have keep the bar below your nips.

Not a great exercise though in general imo.

The entire movement is just unnatural for your shoulders.  Changing the range of motion doesn't change the mechanics of the movement.  Internally rotating the shoulder and then attempting to elevate it is a great way to end up with shoulder impingement.  You're much better off just doing a combination of front and side raises to hit the anterior and lateral delts. 

9 minutes ago, LionsFan01 said:

The entire movement is just unnatural for your shoulders.  Changing the range of motion doesn't change the mechanics of the movement.  Internally rotating the shoulder and then attempting to elevate it is a great way to end up with shoulder impingement.  You're much better off just doing a combination of front and side raises to hit the anterior and lateral delts. 

Never said it was a good exercise, just that decreasing rom decreases injury risk in my experience.

Really been hitting my mobility hard this past 10ish days and it's crazy the progress I've seen already. The depth on my front squat and overhead squat has increased already. Been using one of the thick rubber bands around a pole and use it to stretch my hip flexors, hamstrings, etc and been foam rolling and trigger pointing the hell out of myself too. Have a nice little routine down that takes about 10 minutes and I've been doing every morning before I leave for school and again every night after I shower.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Really been hitting my mobility hard this past 10ish days and it's crazy the progress I've seen already. The depth on my front squat and overhead squat has increased already. Been using one of the thick rubber bands around a pole and use it to stretch my hip flexors, hamstrings, etc and been foam rolling and trigger pointing the hell out of myself too. Have a nice little routine down that takes about 10 minutes and I've been doing every morning before I leave for school and again every night after I shower.

That's good stuff.

It's crazy how easy it is to get tight and inflexible as you get older.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

If you guys could do one chest exercise what would you do?

Single arm DB Chest press.  But the real answer is whatever exercise you feel in your chest the most.  I feel barbell more in my shoulders compared to DBs.  And single arm DB lets me focus on contracting one at a time.

For those with shoulder issues I would do bottoms up KB presses.

Edited by jetsfan4life51

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

Actually the thing that kills my OHP are my wrists.  Once I hit anything over 150 for push press my wrists say no before my shoulders fatigue.

Your wrists shouldn't really be involved, honestly.  If they are, the weight is too far back in your hands.