Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

22 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

I say this as a person who went crazy trying to hit a certain numbers of macros. At some point its got to just become a lifestyle and not a regime or this thing your doing, something that is as natural to you as getting on a football forum or doing your laundry or driving a car, you should just get to autopilot at some point. 

There are so many things going on with the body, so many different processes, your body has no clue what a "Calorie" is, it just needs the correct materials to repair and run the body,  its just impossible to define that for you as individual. 

1. Yep - and tracking macros can help some people realize what there autopilot is. Some people are better at finding that point, some people won't. 

2. That is scientifically incorrect, but I don't wanna argue over the definition of a calorie. 

2 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

1. Yep - and tracking macros can help some people realize what there autopilot is. Some people are better at finding that point, some people won't. 

2. That is scientifically incorrect, but I don't wanna argue over the definition of a calorie. 

No its real science, you don't know what that is obviously. And you don't want to argue with me cause im right. I know so much more about this stuff then you will ever know. 

Youyr body only understands building materials, amino acids, fats, carbohydrates. There is no such thing as a "calorie" in reality, its just a way to TRY and measure , again try.....Your body doesn't go "i have 800 calories and im burning 400 in this activity!!" ... Your body doesnt measure things in calories... No It goes "i got couple grams of amino acids, some carbs, some fats, ome minerals, lets go to work repairing and running this body" 

Real science sir, something you clearly dont get. 

Maybe stop being so lazy and actually google something, google how the body works. 

Clément was the first man known to define and utilize the Calorie as a unit of heat. The definition was published in the journal, Le Producteur, in 1824. His calorie was a kg-calorie (modern kcal), and his definition entered French dictionaries as early as 1842. One of his lasting influences was to help the calorie enter the international lexicon. It was defined as heating a kg of water by 1 degree C until about 1929, but was superseded when a committee of the British Academy of Sciences proposed the g-calorie as an alternate unit of energy (with the newly defined joule taking precedence). This marked the beginning of "calorie confusion" because the kilocalorie had to be introduced as a unit in the m-kg-s system. Thus, the reason that U.S. food labels describe food energy in calories can be traced to Nicolas Clément-Desormes' lectures of 1819-1824.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Clément

It has its place in chemistry , but using it to explain the body which is not a engine or a heat based energy system. They would use it to describe how much of a certain thing is needed to heat water(steam engines were popular then) , then was proposed as a alternate way to describe energy. 

The body has no clue who Clement or a calorie is or any of this crap it just knows amino acids, fats, carbs. 

Muscles use fat , glycogen and even amino acids , but is it thermodynamics? or biological processes? Its biology. 

Edited by Bednarik60

@Bednarik60

Somewhere you mentioned how it's pitiful when guys where sleeveless shirts without definition.  I agree.  It's pitiful.  I'd even extend that to suggest that guys without big arms, not just definition, shouldn't wear sleeveless shirts.  It just makes a guy look soft.  But that's not what I came here to talk about.  I came here to talk about all guys who wear shorts without any calf muscles to speak of.  It's even worse with guys who have a fit upper body who go around shirtless or in shorts trying to show off their upper body.  When you look at a dude trying to look buff or imposing or show off his upper body and he has calf muscles smaller than his arms, it's downright shameful.

Especially the ones who try to look imposing or intimidating with big upper bodies.  Do they not know how easy it would be to go for the legs? 

^Maybe some people just don't care? Not to mention none of this has anything to do with fitness/weightlifting. 

As for the calorie discussion. Sure, you have a point. The make up of food is important and not all calories are created equal. That said calories are a measure of energy and have their place. Ultimately people gain weight because they eat more than they expend. You could do the exact same thing with oats/fruits or whatever. It doesn't happen because those foods are so hard to eat in large volume. 

Calories in/out are a useful place for people to begin. People are used to eating crap and not realizing how much junk there is in there. Tracking calories/macros at least serves as a beginning for people to figure out what foods are good/bad for them. Getting into micronutrients etc. all comes with experience/time. Also I'm a vegetarian, so I have to be pretty strict with what I eat to make sure I can balance my overall intake with the amount of protein I need. Tracking calories is the most effective way for me to achieve those balances. 

2 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

^Maybe some people just don't care? Not to mention none of this has anything to do with fitness/weightlifting. 

As for the calorie discussion. Sure, you have a point. The make up of food is important and not all calories are created equal. That said calories are a measure of energy and have their place. Ultimately people gain weight because they eat more than they expend. You could do the exact same thing with oats/fruits or whatever. It doesn't happen because those foods are so hard to eat in large volume. 

Calories in/out are a useful place for people to begin. People are used to eating crap and not realizing how much junk there is in there. Tracking calories/macros at least serves as a beginning for people to figure out what foods are good/bad for them. Getting into micronutrients etc. all comes with experience/time. Also I'm a vegetarian, so I have to be pretty strict with what I eat to make sure I can balance my overall intake with the amount of protein I need. Tracking calories is the most effective way for me to achieve those balances. 

This is what it was for me.  I was 300 pounds when I was 25. By the time I was 30, I decided to change things in my life around. At that point I was about 265. Around 18 months later, I was down to 159, and it's not that I ate bad (I didn't with regards to "crap"), but fat was non existent in my diet, and I swear it was about 75% carbs (fruits, veggies, oats). Almost all cardio, very little weight lifting until I started doing p90x.  But it worked and I lost weight, which is what I was concerned with at the time because I didn't understand the whole full on fitness thing. For the record, yes, I was a beanpole at that weight lol. Very gaunt. I just wanted to lose weight. Now, if I know what I know now, and had to lose that weight again, would I do it that way? Absolutely not. But I'm very much proof that calories in / calories out works if your goal is just to lose the weight. I just watched my calories, tracked them like a hawk, and that was it. 

I think that the depths of which nutrition can get into can be very overwhelming for somebody who has never attempted to get into that realm and it may affect their ability to follow through with their goals. In the end, it's different strokes for different folks. Some people do cheat meals, some won't. Some like intermittent fasting, others like eating every two hours. You can go on and on for the different methodologies and preferences. Bottom line is that if it's working for you, than that's all that matters. You shouldn't be afraid to experiment and try different things that people suggest would work better, but if you like what you're doing and the results that you're getting, than you only answer to yourself. 

The calories in, calories out vs b60 debate has been beat to death multiple times, no one is convincing the other person.

Holy hell enough already.

Anyways..current goal is to bench 405.  Got to 390 about 2 months ago and have been battling some tendinitis so had to pull back on the weight.  Hoping maybe by the end of the year if all goes well.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
I needed to

So just started to get back into working out so i can get back into martial arts. Getting back into it is pretty hard after taking time off. Im 40 pounds over my playing weight so ive lost definition in my arms but they are bigger visually. Ive also strengthened my calves and are really strong but dont show very well. 

So now to the real reason we are all in the thread...what pieces of clothing can i wear? I dont like wearing pants because i get hot easy but my calves are so blah and i like short sleeves because im less constricted but my arms lost so much definition. Do i get away with shorts and a sleeveless because my arms appear big and my calves are strong or am i just asking for trouble. Tries to ask my wife but you know how women are with fashion.

20 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

So now to the real reason we are all in the thread...what pieces of clothing can i wear? I dont like wearing pants because i get hot easy but my calves are so blah and i like short sleeves because im less constricted but my arms lost so much definition. Do i get away with shorts and a sleeveless because my arms appear big and my calves are strong or am i just asking for trouble. Tries to ask my wife but you know how women are with fashion.

Pretty much no one has calves , its sorta a free pass for everyone. But wear shorts it will inspire you to work your calves out. Why i work calves even first all the time, so i can walk around with a calf pump so i don't look nearly as pathetic xD

1 minute ago, Bednarik60 said:

Pretty much no one has calves , its sorta a free pass for everyone. But wear shorts it will inspire you to work your calves out. Why i work calves even first all the time, so i can walk around with a calf pump so i don't look nearly as pathetic xD

I feel like I'm weird in body composition sometimes. I think my calves may have the most definition on any part of my body. They are definitely up there. They are pretty sizable, and I hardly touch them now (I do them maybe once a week, weighted calf raises to exhaustion, 3 positions). I don't know if it's just a byproduct of my having been very big for the majority of my life

On 8/5/2017 at 1:33 PM, Bednarik60 said:

Well im sorry you didn't make your goal, should of pushed your self harder bruh. Should of been a cake walk to the 180's. 

Thanks, for the tip, but I'm more upset that I haven't been able to continue to maintain/improve on my upper body work versus not meeting my goal.  I made my own decisions not to track everything as rigorously as I needed to and one can always push themselves harder.  But I've made plenty of headway (the most headway while rigorously tracking calories... go figure) and still feel good about where I am.   I know I'll be in the 190s anyway, so I'm not all that far off either.  Then I'll go to Italy for two weeks and drink and eat it all back... which will be totally worth it.

On 8/2/2017 at 11:42 PM, sunnygsm said:

Have you been to a physio? Might be worthwhile. It's an extra cost, but I've always had positive progress when using them. They had me doing a lot of exercises to build the stabilizer muscles. 

It feels like it's almost better now. I get a tinge of pain when I lower it still, but it's close.  If when I start lifting again it crops back up, I'll definitely be seeking one out.