Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

I am finally at the point where I consider myself "fit".

225x10 squat, 135x10 bench, 5k time under 30 minutes.

I went from 180 down to 155 over the last 9-12 months. Now back up to ~162, but it feels like mostly muscle gain.

#FeelsGood

I haven't felt this good since high school.

55 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I am finally at the point where I consider myself "fit".

225x10 squat, 135x10 bench, 5k time under 30 minutes.

I went from 180 down to 155 over the last 9-12 months. Now back up to ~162, but it feels like mostly muscle gain.

#FeelsGood

I haven't felt this good since high school.

Congrats man. Not that easy to be dedicated and get yourself to where you want to be. It should be applauded. 

Down to 204.  Don't think I'm going to make the 190 that I would've liked to have been at for my wedding in less than 2 months, but I feel pretty good.  Unfortunately, I really screwed up my shoulder and haven't been able to do anything upper body for nearly the last 2 months.  With that said, I started running in place of those workouts and so now I'm squatting twice a week and running 3 times.  It was brutal when I first started and my squat hasn't improved too much since I'm still cutting, but I definitely have some muscle endurance in my legs again.  It just sucks because I was making a ton of progress upper body wise and now that's been pretty neglected for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BLick12 said:

Down to 204.  Don't think I'm going to make the 190 that I would've liked to have been at for my wedding in less than 2 months, but I feel pretty good.  Unfortunately, I really screwed up my shoulder and haven't been able to do anything upper body for nearly the last 2 months.  With that said, I started running in place of those workouts and so now I'm squatting twice a week and running 3 times.  It was brutal when I first started and my squat hasn't improved too much since I'm still cutting, but I definitely have some muscle endurance in my legs again.  It just sucks because I was making a ton of progress upper body wise and now that's been pretty neglected for a while.

Busted my shoulder while benching last year. Sucked. Take your time though, shoulders can take time to recover. 

3 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

Busted my shoulder while benching last year. Sucked. Take your time though, shoulders can take time to recover. 

Definitely take your time with shoulders. No sense in rushing back and turning an acute problem into a persistent, nagging injury.

Yeah, that's been the aggravating part is that it doesn't feel  severe but it just hasn't improved at all until recently.  I've done a number of different stretches and taken Advil and there's just no way I can lift anything above my head.  It feels like it's finally improving (still not 100%), but now I'm worried that it's something that might flare up again once I restart.  i was reading online and it feels like a classic case of shoulder impingement, but most of those cases seemed to only last 2-3 weeks.

Best way to eat healthy IMO - track every single thing you eat for a few weeks (I use MyFitnessPal if you don't wanna keep tracking longterm, you will see how snacks or random drinks add up. You will see what foods are worth the calories and which are not. its a real gamechanger if you have not tried. 

7 hours ago, BLick12 said:

Yeah, that's been the aggravating part is that it doesn't feel  severe but it just hasn't improved at all until recently.  I've done a number of different stretches and taken Advil and there's just no way I can lift anything above my head.  It feels like it's finally improving (still not 100%), but now I'm worried that it's something that might flare up again once I restart.  i was reading online and it feels like a classic case of shoulder impingement, but most of those cases seemed to only last 2-3 weeks.

Have you been to a physio? Might be worthwhile. It's an extra cost, but I've always had positive progress when using them. They had me doing a lot of exercises to build the stabilizer muscles. 

1 hour ago, mm6492 said:

Best way to eat healthy IMO - track every single thing you eat for a few weeks (I use MyFitnessPal if you don't wanna keep tracking longterm, you will see how snacks or random drinks add up. You will see what foods are worth the calories and which are not. its a real gamechanger if you have not tried. 

After a while you get much better at approximating what you're actually eating. Meticulous tracking becomes less necessary in time. 

On 8/1/2017 at 1:04 PM, MrDrew said:

Anybody here using/have used P90X3? I'm curious to how good of a workout it is. Had to drop the gym membership, and I'm looking for something that I can get done quick because I have no free time. 

Have you ever thought maybe about kettlebells? You can get a pretty damn good work out with kettlebells in a small space in a small amount of time. Maybe something to look into. 

2 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

Have you ever thought maybe about kettlebells? You can get a pretty damn good work out with kettlebells in a small space in a small amount of time. Maybe something to look into. 

Good suggestion. A couple kettlebells won't set you back much and are a great home-workout tool.

39 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Random, but I always wondered, is it normal to feel soreness on the underside of your rib cage (like right above your stomach) after doing sit ups/crunches?

I had that when I first started getting into crunches, particularly weighted ones. Or if you haven't been at it for quite some time, I imagine the same would apply. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I had that when I first started getting into crunches, particularly weighted ones. Or if you haven't been at it for quite some time, I imagine the same would apply. 

Yeah, I usually never do crunches/sit ups. Just recently started to incorporate them into my cardio/kickboxing days. Figured it was somewhat normal, but just wanted to confirm.

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah, I usually never do crunches/sit ups. Just recently started to incorporate them into my cardio/kickboxing days. Figured it was somewhat normal, but just wanted to confirm.

Obviously if it persists past what typical DOMS would be, I'd get it checks, but otherwise, they are similar to any other muscle group in that regard.