Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Start taking 60-120mg of Zinc a day.  30-60 with breakfast then with lunch.  Add carrots to your diet. Eat 195-205 grams of protein.  Don't worry about cardio, you will start to burn more fat if you are adding muscle.  And if you don't overeat/eat bad crap you won't put on fat.  Use white rice and sweet potatoes as your carbs, and eat the carbs after your workout and for dinner.  Avoid plastics too.

Thanks for the help. Why so much zinc, and is there an advantage of sweet potatoes over red potatoes? 

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

I usually do pretty good with my diet, though I’ve never gone as far as counting my calories that’ll take some getting use to. I have a smoothie in the morning with 1 cup ice, 1 cup greek yogurt, 1 banana and 2 scoops of peanut butter, for lunch I usually do tuna/chicken with cashews and grapes/blueberries, for dinner it’s chicken/salmon with rice/potatoes and broccoli. I hate soda so that won’t be an issue and only drink water, but I’m definitely not drinking close to half a gallons worth.

Right now I don’t have a gym membership but I can always get one. As far as cardio, I pretty much hate it all around lol. I played basketball all throughout high school so I guess I can go shoot somewhere.

If that is your actual diet, my friend you are eating clean, but not to gain muscle. That looks like you're under 1400 kcals, and without water you are going to have a hell of a time adding any muscle. I'm not sure how you have any bellyfat with that diet.

I would say eat 5-6 meals a day, and make sure you're getting 40g protein in each meal. Then add 40-60 g carbs per meal and you're doing pretty well. With you having peanut butter, cashews. etc it sounds like you're getting enough fats. When you want to bulk faster I'd start using EVOO. I add a tablespoon to almost every meal over something, and add two in every PWO shake. If you do that, START SLOW WITH IT. DO NOT LOAD UP ON OLIVE OIL, YOU WIOLL BE SEATBELTED TO THE DAMN TOILET SEAT.

But with 40g+ protein per meal, that will put you at over 1g protein per pound of bodyweight. That would be a good starting point, but the kids in highschool I worked with I always told them to push for 1.5g/pound of BW.  It sounds harder than it really is, 4 oz of chicken and a glass of milk will get you that though. A cup of cottage cheese has 25 IIRC (probably not but I'm close). After the first week your body will start getting used to eating so often and it will get easier. I personally go higher but I have fallen into the DC method of bulking, but since you sound like you're wanting to lean out as a primary objective I'd stay away from it,especially since you hate cardio. If you're wanting to gain muscle, I would aim for a gallon a day to start. I'm at about 1.5 per day plus my other fluids and it isn't uncomfortable, if I go under a gallon I feel like I'm chronically thirsty, even if on Sunday when I have my down day.

For training, you can get big and strong with bodyweight exercises, anyone who says you can't is full of it. Male gymnasts are strong and get so by manipulating  their bodyweight and usually are in great shape. But if you want to get bigger arms, shoulders, etc, yoiu should probably just joint a gym. Exercises you need to do? Squats, deadlifts, rows, bench variations, and pullups all. A  lot of guys go to the gym regularly and wok out with bench, curls, closegrip bench or skullcrushers and do it a LOT. But you don't see these guys with big arms very often. That's because their body isn't adapting to add a lot of muscle. Think of it this way, you don't see skinny guys with 18 inch upper arms, you see muscular men with them. Guys that train the whole body.

Workouts I highly recommend

W4SB https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/

- Remember it says often to do ONE of the exercises, don't think you have to do the 6 options. Do the 4-day strength training template.

Rippetoes Starting Strength version of the 3x5 - http://www.kingofthegym.com/rippetoes-starting-strength-program/

- Do the 3x5 program. Very simple, won't overload you with too much volume, very simple to see progression too. After 6 months to a year, you might have the exercises down and your GPP up well enough to start the 5x5 program.  Book is in a lot of libraries if you want to read it. It is textbookish, but I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Thanks for the help. Why so much zinc, and is there an advantage of sweet potatoes over red potatoes? 

As for the sweet potatoes, they are loaded with vit a and c, more calcium, better for you on the glycemic index, and I never load a ton of sour cream and butter on them as opposed to other potatoes. :D

That being said, red potatoes aren't bad nor will they kill your diet, just be reasonable with them.

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If that is your actual diet, my friend you are eating clean, but not to gain muscle. That looks like you're under 1400 kcals, and without water you are going to have a hell of a time adding any muscle. I'm not sure how you have any bellyfat with that diet.

I would say eat 5-6 meals a day, and make sure you're getting 40g protein in each meal. Then add 40-60 g carbs per meal and you're doing pretty well. With you having peanut butter, cashews. etc it sounds like you're getting enough fats. When you want to bulk faster I'd start using EVOO. I add a tablespoon to almost every meal over something, and add two in every PWO shake. If you do that, START SLOW WITH IT. DO NOT LOAD UP ON OLIVE OIL, YOU WIOLL BE SEATBELTED TO THE DAMN TOILET SEAT.

But with 40g+ protein per meal, that will put you at over 1g protein per pound of bodyweight. That would be a good starting point, but the kids in highschool I worked with I always told them to push for 1.5g/pound of BW.  It sounds harder than it really is, 4 oz of chicken and a glass of milk will get you that though. A cup of cottage cheese has 25 IIRC (probably not but I'm close). After the first week your body will start getting used to eating so often and it will get easier. I personally go higher but I have fallen into the DC method of bulking, but since you sound like you're wanting to lean out as a primary objective I'd stay away from it,especially since you hate cardio. If you're wanting to gain muscle, I would aim for a gallon a day to start. I'm at about 1.5 per day plus my other fluids and it isn't uncomfortable, if I go under a gallon I feel like I'm chronically thirsty, even if on Sunday when I have my down day.

For training, you can get big and strong with bodyweight exercises, anyone who says you can't is full of it. Male gymnasts are strong and get so by manipulating  their bodyweight and usually are in great shape. But if you want to get bigger arms, shoulders, etc, yoiu should probably just joint a gym. Exercises you need to do? Squats, deadlifts, rows, bench variations, and pullups all. A  lot of guys go to the gym regularly and wok out with bench, curls, closegrip bench or skullcrushers and do it a LOT. But you don't see these guys with big arms very often. That's because their body isn't adapting to add a lot of muscle. Think of it this way, you don't see skinny guys with 18 inch upper arms, you see muscular men with them. Guys that train the whole body.

Workouts I highly recommend

W4SB https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/

- Remember it says often to do ONE of the exercises, don't think you have to do the 6 options. Do the 4-day strength training template.

Rippetoes Starting Strength version of the 3x5 - http://www.kingofthegym.com/rippetoes-starting-strength-program/

- Do the 3x5 program. Very simple, won't overload you with too much volume, very simple to see progression too. After 6 months to a year, you might have the exercises down and your GPP up well enough to start the 5x5 program.  Book is in a lot of libraries if you want to read it. It is textbookish, but I enjoyed it.

Well I just started with that diet about a month and a half ago, the belly fat isn't crazy but it's definitely there from eating garbage throughout high school and college. My metabolism is insane so it never really caught up to me until a few months ago.

But damn that is a lot of protein lol. I will check out those workout programs when I get some free time tonight, thank you for the help.

6 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

But damn that is a lot of protein lol.

Because it's probably more than necessary.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6390614 - 0.8 - 0.9 gram/lb

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19927027 - 1.1 gram/lb

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22150425 - 0.6 - 0.8 gram/lb

Athletes seeking to gain muscle mass and strength are likely to consume higher amounts of dietary protein than their endurance-trained counterparts. The main belief behind the large quantities of dietary protein consumption in resistance-trained athletes is that it is needed to generate more muscle protein. Athletes may require protein for more than just alleviation of the risk for deficiency, inherent in the dietary guidelines, but also to aid in an elevated level of functioning and possibly adaptation to the exercise stimulus. It does appear, however, that there is a good rationale for recommending to athletes protein intakes that are higher than the RDA. Our consensus opinion is that leucine, and possibly the other branched-chain amino acids, occupy a position of prominence in stimulating muscle protein synthesis; that protein intakes in the range of 1.3-1.8 g · kg(-1) · day(-1) consumed as 3-4 isonitrogenous meals will maximize muscle protein synthesis. 

Remember to correct kilogram to pounds when reading studies like this.

1 gram per pound of body weight seems like a good rule, both for accuracy and ease to remember.

Edited by cddolphin

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Well I just started with that diet about a month and a half ago, the belly fat isn't crazy but it's definitely there from eating garbage throughout high school and college. My metabolism is insane so it never really caught up to me until a few months ago.

But damn that is a lot of protein lol. I will check out those workout programs when I get some free time tonight, thank you for the help.

No problem. It sounds worse than it really is, but getting a protein shake can help too. You don't need to pound them down, but even just one shake a day helps when you're trying to keep up with a busy schedule. If you want one, I recommend truenutrition.com. I'll post Skip's (guy I've worked with) discount code if you're interested. I get mine in bulk so I can't remember off the top of my head. Lol

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Because it's probably more than necessary.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6390614 - 0.8 - 0.9 gram/lb

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19927027 - 1.1 gram/lb

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22150425 - 0.6 - 0.8 gram/lb

Remember to correct kilogram to pounds when reading studies like this.

Exactly. It might be a bit more than needed, but its much better IMO to have a bit too much than too little. Plus if you end up a little shy in 1 or 2 meals it isn't hard to keep close. In regard to being .8 instead of 1g is only 30-35g of protein, over 5 meals that is a miniscule amount. 

And the studies are fine, but I know from tracking my own diet and training logs that I was able to make better improvements with higher protein than 1g per pound of BW. To each their own though. 

You also need to take into account that if you've got some extra weight, you don't need to account for that...If you're 300 pounds and overweight, you don't need to eat 300g of protein a day to add muscle. 160-180 is more than enough for anyone to add muscle. Anymore than that is overkill and your body will just dump it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MookieMonster said:

You also need to take into account that if you've got some extra weight, you don't need to account for that...If you're 300 pounds and overweight, you don't need to eat 300g of protein a day to add muscle. 160-180 is more than enough for anyone to add muscle. Anymore than that is overkill and your body will just dump it.

This.

1 gram per pound of lean mass.  Not many dudes need more than 180 grams of protein in a day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This.

1 gram per pound of lean mass.  Not many dudes need more than 180 grams of protein in a day.

Yep. In fact, I went vegetarian about two months ago and my protein intake has dropped to around 120-130g per day. I'm still making fine gains, haven't really seen any sort of drop in gainz.

what are the best apps to track calories.

want to lose 15 pounds, and am thinking about doing a 1800 calorie diet (with fruits/veggies free)

for workouts, i plan on doing around 30 minute per day total body workout

Edited by MathMan

Been doing keto for a week now (I know, a whole week) but it’s really a 

24 minutes ago, MathMan said:

want to lose 15 pounds, and am thinking about doing a 1800 calorie diet (with fruits/veggies free)

Myfitnesspal 

26 minutes ago, MathMan said:

Oh, and fruits should definitely not be “free”, neither should some veggies, depending on what you’re talking about as some have a decent about of carbs.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh, and fruits should definitely not be “free”, neither should some veggies, depending on what you’re talking about as some have a decent about of carbs.

I was going to comment on the fruit thing as well.  I would only count watermelon as a free fruit.  With vegetables, my rule is always that if it's green or a carrot it is free.