Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

Yeah, I wouldn't buy a smoker.  That would take me years to pay off in jerky value because I would never use it for anything else.  I'm just talking about one of those 40 to 60 dollar dehydrators.  I have decided to go ahead with the plan and try it out after I move, which will be in about three weeks here.  I'll report my findings after my first batch. 

17 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Brought this here as it fits with the thread.

Time you have.  Folks don’t get fat overnight, they don’t get thin overnight either.

No one will experience more “success”, more quickly than an obese person. A person can dump 5-10 pounds in water (attached to glycogen) and excess waste in the first week alone, obese people even more so.  Obviously that’s not fat loss, but it is instant gratification.

But it’s easier for thinner people? No one needs to burn 1000 calories in a day through exercise anyway.

YOU’RE talking that, no one else is. 30-45 min of moderate to high intensity exercise is all that’s needed.

I’m not saying it isn’t difficult, but it’s absolutely doable for just about anyone with a modicum of purpose to do so.

You ignored the parts where I was talking about people with lowered BMR.

Also, yes it is easier for thinner people to burn Calories because they are fit enough to actually do the exercises. Yes a fat person burns more calories than a thin person running a mile in 10 minutes, because it takes more calories to move more mass, but typically people who are more fit can get it more intense exercise, and more of it in one go.

20 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

You ignored the parts where I was talking about people with lowered BMR.

I’m not ignoring, it’s just a bs point. There is no BMR so low you can’t lose weight, it’s a fat person’s excuse.  If you aren’t losing weight, eat less.  It works 100% of the time.

20 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Also, yes it is easier for thinner people to burn Calories because they are fit enough to actually do the exercises. Yes a fat person burns more calories than a thin person running a mile in 10 minutes, because it takes more calories to move more mass, but typically people who are more fit can get it more intense exercise, and more of it in one go.

And fat people burn more calories just moving, doing daily tasks.  They don’t need to exercise hard to burn a ton of calories, walking alone will do this, at least for a while. 

You can make any excuse you like, but there is literally zero reason a fat person can lose weight if they want to. 

40 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I've never claimed this and pointed it out like 8 times at this point that I'm just talking about it being harder.

It’s not harder, you are simply incorrect and continue to repeat it.  Fat (obese) can lose 2-5 lbs per week with relative consistency if they do their part.  A fit person will not.  BMR is related to weight.  You think it doesn’t require energy expenditure to haul that arse around all day?  Try doing a flight of stairs with a hundred pounds on your back.

Real talk, can you read?

You’re simply making excuses for fat people, it’s all good.

Real talk, do you even exercise? You sound like a fat guy who can’t lose weight after dieting for 21 consecutive hours, throws their hands up and says it’s impossible.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

I've always been a skinny dude, hovering around 5'10.5", 135 pounds for the past couple of years.  We'll call it a runners body.  I've lifted on and off, but never took it seriously and got derailed pretty quickly (I bought a house 1.5 years ago and dropped down to 129 at one point because I didn't have time to eat with all the renovations).  Anyway, this winter I decided to gain some weight and for the past two months I've been going to the gym 4 times a week.  I haven't developed a rigorous exercise routine, so I go to the gym and mostly workout whatever is not sore from my previous workout.  It's worked out pretty well for me so far.  As a result, I developed quite an appetite.  I used to be able to skip breakfast altogether.  Now I'll have a bagel and greek yogurt for breakfast and I'm hungry by 11.   In two months I gained 10 pounds so I'm up to 148.  I'll admit not all of it is good weight, but I wasn't really concerned about the type of weight I'm gaining.   I grew some belly fat, so now I'm cutting out processed sugar and processed food and I started using a protein supplement for the first time ever.  I plan on getting up to 160, then cutting down and maintaining a trim 155.  Some people have noticed and told me this is a good weight for me.  Anyway, I thought I'd share. 

• Like 1

Here's an interesting thing that I recently noticed after my 14-day fast: I no longer crave junk food, esp.soda. I was a soda addict for the last decade. 

Soda, ice cream, candy, I'd buy all the time. But now, I don't desire any of it. A couple times a day I'll have a small swig of some watermelon juice from Trader Joe's I bought, but that's it.

Fast food and pizza are also some things I don't want now but always used to.

I was told beforehand that the fast will regulate my hormone(s) that craves junk.

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

I've always been a skinny dude, hovering around 5'10.5", 135 pounds for the past couple of years.  We'll call it a runners body.  I've lifted on and off, but never took it seriously and got derailed pretty quickly (I bought a house 1.5 years ago and dropped down to 129 at one point because I didn't have time to eat with all the renovations).  Anyway, this winter I decided to gain some weight and for the past two months I've been going to the gym 4 times a week.  I haven't developed a rigorous exercise routine, so I go to the gym and mostly workout whatever is not sore from my previous workout.  It's worked out pretty well for me so far.  As a result, I developed quite an appetite.  I used to be able to skip breakfast altogether.  Now I'll have a bagel and greek yogurt for breakfast and I'm hungry by 11.   In two months I gained 10 pounds so I'm up to 148.  I'll admit not all of it is good weight, but I wasn't really concerned about the type of weight I'm gaining.   I grew some belly fat, so now I'm cutting out processed sugar and processed food and I started using a protein supplement for the first time ever.  I plan on getting up to 160, then cutting down and maintaining a trim 155.  Some people have noticed and told me this is a good weight for me.  Anyway, I thought I'd share. 

Congrats man, good work.

When adding muscle, some fat is bound to come with it.  No worries though as it can come off later. 

Focus on whole body, compound lifts, get enough calories and protein and you’ll hit 160 in no time.

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Soda is one of those things that once you haven't had it in a while, it is just gross. I can't stand it. But once you get in the habit, you start craving the sugar. 

True story. 

I’ll have a diet soda every once in a while, and those are ok, but a regular, full sugar soda is simply gross imo.

Once you break the habit it will taste like liquid sugar (which it is) which I find just nasty, not refreshing or thirst quenching at all.

I think this talk exercise for extremely overweight people is a waste. Not that I think exercise is bad but it's not the change people should be making. If someone is severely overweight, they'd be better off not changing their activity/exercise routine and simply eat less. Adding more activity will only increase appetite and make it more likely that they cheat on their diet. By simply being alive and breathing, the body is burning calories, no need to add more stress to it. 

• Like 1