Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

8 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I think this talk exercise for extremely overweight people is a waste. Not that I think exercise is bad but it's not the change people should be making. If someone is severely overweight, they'd be better off not changing their activity/exercise routine and simply eat less. Adding more activity will only increase appetite and make it more likely that they cheat on their diet. By simply being alive and breathing, the body is burning calories, no need to add more stress to it. 

Intense exercise? I agree, but obese people are also commonly not very active. 

Getting out and walking around their neighborhood is a good start paired with reducing the amount they cram into their pie hole.

11 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I think this talk exercise for extremely overweight people is a waste. Not that I think exercise is bad but it's not the change people should be making. If someone is severely overweight, they'd be better off not changing their activity/exercise routine and simply eat less. Adding more activity will only increase appetite and make it more likely that they cheat on their diet. By simply being alive and breathing, the body is burning calories, no need to add more stress to it. 

Being that overweight means their cardiovascular system is probably crap.  They aren't going to ruin marathons, and jogging alone would likely be a hell of an unnecessary strain on their joints.  But in no way is getting moving with low intensity exercise going to be a negative deal. Walking, yardwork,  even riding a bike is a great start. That is just going to make their daily activities less strenuous overall. 

Edited by Sugashane

12 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

This. Losing weight is about eating less. Period. If you compare how much you need to run to burn off that extra 300 calorie snack to just not eating it, JUST DON'T EAT IT. 

You aren't going to be able to do any serious exercise until you are in a normal weight range. Once you get to a reasonable weight, THEN you can start worrying about exercise to build muscle and get into shape.

Doing mild exercise like walking is definitely great in terms of overall health, but in terms of strictly weight loss, the amount of calories you burn doing an hour of light exercise is nothing compared to not eating a doughnut. 

I’m 24, 6’4 195. I’m very skinny and carry all of my fat in my stomache and chest as my arms and legs are  very thin. I would like to get to 205, lose my chest fat/convert it in to muscle (belly fat I don’t really care about since it’s not that bad but my chest looks very disproportionate to the rest of my body), and bulk up my arms and legs. 

What should I be eating/trying to stay away from? And how much cardio should I be doing? I know to put on muscle some fat will come with it but I also don’t want my chest to blow up. Thoughts? Thanks in advance 

On 3/31/2018 at 1:16 PM, skywindO2 said:

Obviously eating better is key,  but saying exercising is a waste for overweight people is simply uninformed. As stated before, overweight people burn more calories than the average person.

No one is saying just exercise and continue to eat everything not nailed down, we’re saying starting small, on both sides will yield results and go from there.

Cut out the soda, baked goods, fries, processed junk, etc and combine that positive change with a 30 min walk 3-4 x per week.

While you can’t outrun your fork, you can certainly help the process by getting your backside off the sofa.

16 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I’m 24, 6’4 195. I’m very skinny and carry all of my fat in my stomache and chest as my arms and legs are  very thin. I would like to get to 205, lose my chest fat/convert it in to muscle (belly fat I don’t really care about since it’s not that bad but my chest looks very disproportionate to the rest of my body), and bulk up my arms and legs. 

What should I be eating/trying to stay away from? And how much cardio should I be doing? I know to put on muscle some fat will come with it but I also don’t want my chest to blow up. Thoughts? Thanks in advance 

You shouldn't worry about having your chest "blow up" as even with beginner gains you're not going to make sudden, dramatic changes. Try to just focus on eating healthier overall, not following a super-strict diet. Instead of soda, have a diet soda or tea, drink at least a half gallon of real water a day. If you're thinking about going out to eat, then you should try to stay away from fried foods more often than not. Document what you eat, ACCURATELY. Don't BS yourself to thinking you eat a ton, I've met a lot of skinnyfat guys who think they eat a ton and barely hit 2000 kcals, and if so it is usually because of 400+ calories in soda.

As far as getting bigger, I need some more information. Do you have access to a gym or just doing home training? And for cardio, what activities do you enjoy doing? Makes it a lot more likely to adhere to a plan if you enjoy it. I always recommend fasted cardio for 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week - nothing major just walking with a purpose. It is easy, lets you listen to music or audible if you're into that. I also use it to walk my dogs (I guilt myself if I don't want to  lol). But I enjoy basketball so I go to the local YMCA twice a week and shoot. While not a dramatic regimen, it is plenty for me to maintain weight with my workout/life schedule.

17 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I think supplementing with CLA is not a bad idea, regardless of which path you take.

18 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Start taking 60-120mg of Zinc a day.  30-60 with breakfast then with lunch.  Add carrots to your diet. Eat 195-205 grams of protein.  Don't worry about cardio, you will start to burn more fat if you are adding muscle.  And if you don't overeat/eat bad crap you won't put on fat.  Use white rice and sweet potatoes as your carbs, and eat the carbs after your workout and for dinner.  Avoid plastics too.

Edited by jetsfan4life51

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

You shouldn't worry about having your chest "blow up" as even with beginner gains you're not going to make sudden, dramatic changes. Try to just focus on eating healthier overall, not following a super-strict diet. Instead of soda, have a diet soda or tea, drink at least a half gallon of real water a day. If you're thinking about going out to eat, then you should try to stay away from fried foods more often than not. Document what you eat, ACCURATELY. Don't BS yourself to thinking you eat a ton, I've met a lot of skinnyfat guys who think they eat a ton and barely hit 2000 kcals, and if so it is usually because of 400+ calories in soda.

As far as getting bigger, I need some more information. Do you have access to a gym or just doing home training? And for cardio, what activities do you enjoy doing? Makes it a lot more likely to adhere to a plan if you enjoy it. I always recommend fasted cardio for 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week - nothing major just walking with a purpose. It is easy, lets you listen to music or audible if you're into that. I also use it to walk my dogs (I guilt myself if I don't want to  lol). But I enjoy basketball so I go to the local YMCA twice a week and shoot. While not a dramatic regimen, it is plenty for me to maintain weight with my workout/life schedule.

I usually do pretty good with my diet, though I’ve never gone as far as counting my calories that’ll take some getting use to. I have a smoothie in the morning with 1 cup ice, 1 cup greek yogurt, 1 banana and 2 scoops of peanut butter, for lunch I usually do tuna/chicken with cashews and grapes/blueberries, for dinner it’s chicken/salmon with rice/potatoes and broccoli. I hate soda so that won’t be an issue and only drink water, but I’m definitely not drinking close to half a gallons worth.

Right now I don’t have a gym membership but I can always get one. As far as cardio, I pretty much hate it all around lol. I played basketball all throughout high school so I guess I can go shoot somewhere.