Weightlifting & Fitness - Everything old is new again!

fretgod99

29 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well in the long run it is probably cheaper. Never did the math on it. Depends on if it’s your own meat, if you have a smoker already, if you use ur smoker in other ways.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe-2103581.amp

Or, if you are super cheap, you can literally use a box fan and some furnace filters. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well in the long run it is probably cheaper. Never did the math on it. Depends on if it’s your own meat, if you have a smoker already, if you use ur smoker in other ways.

I was thinking about getting one of those dehydrator things.  My grandpa used to make jerky with one of those and it was the best jerky I've ever tasted.  I've tried google, but everywhere just links to a forum where they discuss how much they love jerky instead of whether or not it's actually cheaper.

I also think it would be a lot less sodium if I made my own, and I'm cutting out all other snacks other than jerky and vegetables.  Snacking has always been my biggest problem as far as my diet because I'm unable to watch TV or a movie without some kind of snack. 

12 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I have a smoker that I use in other ways.  I don't have my own meat, but I think I am going to go half on a cow this year.  I can easily get my hands on venison  Any recipes or recommendations?  

I've always been interested in making my own jerky, but have never done it.  I also have a dehydrator, if that comes in handy.  

On 3/27/2018 at 8:24 PM, TankWilliams said:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe-2103581.amp

Or, if you are super cheap, you can literally use a box fan and some furnace filters. 

That actually is a pretty good recipe. I got a dehydrator at a Goodwill back in college so I never tried his boxfan deal, but used it and made my own jerky to help gain size for football, you can always put a few strips of jerky down an hour. His is pretty good, worked good for ground beef if you're really wanting to make it cheap too.

On 3/28/2018 at 5:00 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

I was thinking about getting one of those dehydrator things.  My grandpa used to make jerky with one of those and it was the best jerky I've ever tasted.  I've tried google, but everywhere just links to a forum where they discuss how much they love jerky instead of whether or not it's actually cheaper.

I also think it would be a lot less sodium if I made my own, and I'm cutting out all other snacks other than jerky and vegetables.  Snacking has always been my biggest problem as far as my diet because I'm unable to watch TV or a movie without some kind of snack. 

Dehydrated fruit can be a damn good snack too. Much better than what I think the stores have, they dehydrate them too much and ruins the texture IMO.

Brought this here as it fits with the thread.

4 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Working your way up to a good diet is absolutely the way to go but it might take a very long time

Time you have.  Folks don’t get fat overnight, they don’t get thin overnight either.

of little to no results which can really hamper a person's willpower

No one will experience more “success”, more quickly than an obese person. A person can dump 5-10 pounds in water (attached to glycogen) and excess waste in the first week alone, obese people even more so.  Obviously that’s not fat loss, but it is instant gratification.

And burning a 1000 calories a day through exercise is extremely hard for fat people,

But it’s easier for thinner people? No one needs to burn 1000 calories in a day through exercise anyway.

You're talking hours and hours of intense exercise.

YOU’RE talking that, no one else is. 30-45 min of moderate to high intensity exercise is all that’s needed.

I’m not saying it isn’t difficult, but it’s absolutely doable for just about anyone with a modicum of purpose to do so.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 8:24 AM, jyod21 said:

I have a smoker that I use in other ways.  I don't have my own meat, but I think I am going to go half on a cow this year.  I can easily get my hands on venison  Any recipes or recommendations?  

I've always been interested in making my own jerky, but have never done it.  I also have a dehydrator, if that comes in handy.  

There are a ton of ways to do it. For a quick way of doing it you can even use ground beef, but the texture isn't as good IMO.

An easy way to do it is just to get some flank steak, go to the seasoning isle of your WalMart or wherever and get the packets. Grill Mates has a ton of them, usually you just have to add like 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, maybe some vinegar in a few too. But put the flank steak in the freezer for 20 mins or so (cutting is easier when it is a bit stiff but not frozen), cut ACROSS the grain of the steak (easier to chew), and then throw in the seasoning in a ziplock bag for a few hours. Marinading it while it is in strips gets the flavor to all of it, much more flavorful.

Pro tip, after getting the strips laid in the dehydrator, take the excess marinade and put it in a pan to reduce it. Once it is thicker, the flavor really hits you. Take a basting brush and baste the top of all the strips, and it will glaze wonderfully.

Also, if you do ground beef and a jerky gun, use more seasoning than in recipes with other meats. The excess fat pulls some off and it needs it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Brought this here as it fits with the thread.

Time you have.  Folks don’t get fat overnight, they don’t get thin overnight either.

No one will experience more “success”, more quickly than an obese person. A person can dump 5-10 pounds in water (attached to glycogen) and excess waste in the first week alone, obese people even more so.  Obviously that’s not fat loss, but it is instant gratification.

But it’s easier for thinner people? No one needs to burn 1000 calories in a day through exercise anyway.

YOU’RE talking that, no one else is. 30-45 min of moderate to high intensity exercise is all that’s needed.

I’m not saying it isn’t difficult, but it’s absolutely doable for just about anyone with a modicum of purpose to do so.

All good points. I think one major screw up is everyone goes "New Years Resolution" and try to be in a hardcore diet/exercise program suddenly. Make a baseline of improved diet and training, stick with it until it is habitual or you are stagnant, then make ONE change to the exercise and ONE change to the diet. Adding 15 minutes of HIIT training to your weekly regiment and making one day a high fat/low carb day can make changes for 2-3 weeks.

People want to jump in on a 1500 kcal diet with 6 days a week of cardio and 4 days a week weightlifting... Great... You're going to still stall your progress, going to have mental burnout and likely overtrained as you're possessed nowhere near in the GPP for the regimen you started, and now what do you change to force the adaptation? Small adjustments and it will go a lot easier and more consistent for you, especially since you don't quit and rebound back to your original weigh in less than 2 months.

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

All good points. I think one major screw up is everyone goes "New Years Resolution" and try to be in a hardcore diet/exercise program suddenly. Make a baseline of improved diet and training, stick with it until it is habitual or you are stagnant, then make ONE change to the exercise and ONE change to the diet. Adding 15 minutes of HIIT training to your weekly regiment and making one day a high fat/low carb day can make changes for 2-3 weeks.

People want to jump in on a 1500 kcal diet with 6 days a week of cardio and 4 days a week weightlifting... Great... You're going to still stall your progress, going to have mental burnout and likely overtrained as you're possessed nowhere near in the GPP for the regimen you started, and now what do you change to force the adaptation? Small adjustments and it will go a lot easier and more consistent for you, especially since you don't quit and rebound back to your original weigh in less than 2 months.

Absolutely.

Just like people got fat over years of bad lifestyle decisions, plan for a year or two of trying and, occasionally, falling off the wagon before succeeding and reaching your end goal.

It’s behavior that has to change, possibly a whole lifestyle.  That doesn’t happen overnight.

With obese people, many could likely see some decent progress just by going for a walk around their neighborhood 4 x per week and cutting out obvious junk, like soda, fast food, sweets, etc.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:54 PM, gopherwrestler said:

It is much, much cheaper. Jacks Links is like $8 for 3 oz (or similar). That is $2.33 per oz, or $37.28 per pound.

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

It is much, much cheaper. Jacks Links is like $8 for 3 oz (or similar). That is $2.33 per oz, or $37.28 per pound.

Idk what a dehydrater is worth.... but if you want smoked Jerky now your investing $409 also on a new average smoker... plus pellets, and if your only making jerky on the thing

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Absolutely.

Just like people got fat over years of bad lifestyle decisions, plan for a year or two of trying and, occasionally, falling off the wagon before succeeding and reaching your end goal.

It’s behavior that has to change, possibly a whole lifestyle.  That doesn’t happen overnight.

With obese people, many could likely see some decent progress just by going for a walk around their neighborhood 4 x per week and cutting out obvious junk, like soda, fast food, sweets, etc.

Soda is the big one. Empty calories that you can put 500 kcal away without a seconds notice. People drop that for water or even diet soda and they will notice a difference after 30 days. 

Most people think artificial sweeteners are bad for you, but they are better than sugar. I've seen numerous people point to studies on rats, but they don't take into account that the gargantuan amounts of those artificial sweeteners caused the rats harm. No duh, those rats are 100 times smaller than us and taking more in than a human would in a single day. An asprin (barring medical ailment) will have no negative effects on most people. Take 120 of them though, and that will be your last headache. lol. Taking in sweeteners within a normal amount will be FAR better for someone than the high sugar diets most in the US seem to live by.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Soda is the big one. Empty calories that you can put 500 kcal away without a seconds notice. People drop that for water or even diet soda and they will notice a difference after 30 days. 

Most people think artificial sweeteners are bad for you, but they are better than sugar. I've seen numerous people point to studies on rats, but they don't take into account that the gargantuan amounts of those artificial sweeteners caused the rats harm. No duh, those rats are 100 times smaller than us and taking more in than a human would in a single day. An asprin (barring medical ailment) will have no negative effects on most people. Take 120 of them though, and that will be your last headache. lol. Taking in sweeteners within a normal amount will be FAR better for someone than the high sugar diets most in the US seem to live by.

Completely agree.

It’s all about progression.  Soda to diet soda to lemon water for example.

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Idk what a dehydrater is worth.... but if you want smoked Jerky now your investing $409 also on a new average smoker... plus pellets, and if your only making jerky on the thing

I have a 5 layer mliter, cost me I think $50 bucks a few years ago. The new one looks nice.

As for smoking foods, I just use my grill. Low and slow, indirect heat, etc. Never used it for jerky, but I haven't had the chance to purchase a smoker cheap. There is a Weber I have my eye on for $200, but I just can't bring myself to buy it. lol