Cowboys Coaching Carousel - Paul Alexander named OL coach

WizardHawk

10 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I can't find any initial connection to the staff. Anyone got any ideas. 

Nope, I’ve looked at the Raiders staffs from 2007-2011 and seen no connection. He’s served under Hue Jackson, Tom Cable and Al Saunders offenses. 

Looking at his WR’s he’s had haven’t been very talented in Oakland or NYJ. He had Decker in NY for the final year and he almost eclipsed 1000 yard mark. 

Now I have heard that Sammy Watkins loved him in Buffalo and heard same about TY Hilton in Indy last year. 

Sanjay Lal is an out of the box hire, I like it. Track record of helping to coach up late round/no round nobodies. Everywhere he has gone, route running had improved across the board. When he was with the Jets, those were some pretty average at best guys he worked with..yet somehow they actually became a decent unit.

No ties to the staff, but a coach who knows how to push his unit for better. I like it.

20 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Good article on Alexander and his blocking concepts. 

https://www.fanragsports.com/what-to-expect-from-cowboys-new-ol-coach-paul-alexander/

Curious to see how Sanjay does with some talent at WR. Looking at his past receivers, he's been given some real duds to work with.

The blocking concepts are laid out by the coordinator or head coach or whomever is designing the plays. Alexander may have coached a specific type of blocking before, but it was not his concept as a position coach.

Thats like saying the WR coach designs the routes, or the DB coach designs the coverages. They dont. They just teach the designs the coordinator has in their playbook/play designs

I'm no X's and O's guy.  I could be wrong.  I look at Garrett and say 7.5 years and 1 playoff win.  I just think we need change.  For lack of a better more insightful football term I think we have become somewhat stale and predictable.  I just don't think Garrett is the guy to lead us to the promised land.  I would love to be wrong on this. I'll gladly eat a slice of humble pie followed up by some crow if Garrett does indeed oversee a deep playoff run, or dare I say it a Super Bowl appearance.

Re the hires.  I think Alexander has a track record and will do fine.  Don't know much about Lal but it looks like he has done alright with questionable talent in his career.  That's encouraging.  Hopefully hiring outside the organization will bring in some fresh ideas.  Here's one thing I'll say.  Remember when we were winning championships?  Our offense wasn't too complicated.  What it became was brutally efficient at executing.  Defenses knew what we were going to do and we just lined up and executed.  The beauty was in the simplicity.  Where am i going.  Don't get cute.  If something is working keep working it until the defense stops it.  I find too often we make these head scratching calls and we end up outsmarting ourselves.  If it's working, and we are executing keep it going.  I know different era, different players.  That's not the message.  The message is don't out think it.  Sometimes you only out think yourself.  Sometimes simple can work.

7 minutes ago, Northland said:

Don't get cute. 

That's something that should be in the back of Garrett & Linehan's heads. You have an All-Pro running back and an offensive line that excels in the run game - run it down the defenses throats until they stop you. 

In a pinch, with the game on the line, Linehan is going to do what he has spent a lifetime practicing, what HE is comfortable with, and what he knows. That's passing the ball. He loves shotgun. When he wants to be creative or come up with something new, It will be passing concepts,  because his entire career has been devoted to passing the ball. 

He is going to have to switch from the Romo friendly scheme if he wants to maximize the roster talent. 

There's no need to get cute. You have several 4th and 1 and 3rd and 1 examples of Zeke being unstoppable. And those are situations where the defense unequivocally knows it's coming. If he's good for 3 yards in those situations quit running it out of shotgun on 1st down.

17 hours ago, Northland said:

I'm no X's and O's guy.  I could be wrong.  I look at Garrett and say 7.5 years and 1 playoff win.  I just think we need change.  For lack of a better more insightful football term I think we have become somewhat stale and predictable.  I just don't think Garrett is the guy to lead us to the promised land.  I would love to be wrong on this. I'll gladly eat a slice of humble pie followed up by some crow if Garrett does indeed oversee a deep playoff run, or dare I say it a Super Bowl appearance.

Re the hires.  I think Alexander has a track record and will do fine.  Don't know much about Lal but it looks like he has done alright with questionable talent in his career.  That's encouraging.  Hopefully hiring outside the organization will bring in some fresh ideas.  Here's one thing I'll say.  Remember when we were winning championships?  Our offense wasn't too complicated.  What it became was brutally efficient at executing.  Defenses knew what we were going to do and we just lined up and executed.  The beauty was in the simplicity.  Where am i going.  Don't get cute.  If something is working keep working it until the defense stops it.  I find too often we make these head scratching calls and we end up outsmarting ourselves.  If it's working, and we are executing keep it going.  I know different era, different players.  That's not the message.  The message is don't out think it.  Sometimes you only out think yourself.  Sometimes simple can work.

Like Ive said, predictable and stale are kind of what happens when you try to "not get cute"

When you are a run first team, with this runner and this line, predictable comes with that territory and it becomes unavoidable.

The few times they try to break their usual habits, it ends up being unsuccessful because this team is built on their habits, their roster is built on these habits, and lets face it - these habits win us far more games than it loses.

While Im not against bringing in a new coach, I do think people overlook both the record (like a 2-1 ratio win to loss) of success, the track record of having an eye for talent (look how much better we have drafted since Garrett came here), and the ability to get the most out of some real bit players (Hes got some real leadership and motivational flair). You may be frustrated with the staleness of the direction of offense, or even defense, but these are unavoidable consequences of a run first offense and a two deep/robber defensive style. Its predictable, its repetitive, but when it works well its tough to beat.

The grass is.not always greener, either! Think the Buccs are happy they let Lovie Smith walk to promote the new concepts of Koetter? Think SF is happy having let the pushy, agitating personality of Harbaugh go in favor of the innovations of Chip Kelly and the kind players coach persona of ... whatever that guys name was? 

Sometimes continuity is better. What if Pittsburgh gave up on Cowher when he was growing stale? Or Dungy in Indy? Continuity man, especially when the hire came during a reboot of the roster, is sometimes the much safer option.

Archived