Most safe bet sure thing player in this draft?

Vladimir L

10 hours ago, VanS said:

The funny thing is I was higher on Dobbs than Alvin.  So the fact Alvin has done so well only emboldens me more on Dobbs.  And for the record, I'm high on Dobbs for the same reasons I was high on Alvin.  I saw every game he played in college but I also saw that he had the traits of a player who would keep improving in the NFL rather than plateauing.

With QBs, performance in games isn't the only thing that matters.  Mental makeup is also critical.  And that is probably the biggest reason I am so high on Dobbs.  In addition to watching almost every college game he played, I've also watched almost every interview he's given.  From seeing and reading everything about him, I'm confident he's made of the right stuff to be a star in the NFL.  Everyone knows he's a smart kid.  What most don't know is that he's an insane competitor.  I'm not talking the Baker Mayfield type that tries to show up his opponent.  I'm talking more about Tom Brady competitiveness where you have that inner fire to want to be the best and won't stop at anything until you reach that goal.  Dobbs has that special characteristic about him.  He also gets noticeable bothered if you question his ability.  I like that because great QBs have a level of arrogance where they are confident in their abilities but not to the point where they are telling everyone how good they are.  He has that right balance between arrogance and humility.

And most important of all, he's no longer has to split his time with academics anymore.  In college he didn't have the chance to channel his competitiveness entirely to football.  He had to split it with his insane academic workload.  That won't be the case anymore.  So I expect him to improve by leaps and bounds this off-season.  Steelers coaches have already said he has been like a sponge wanting to get coached up.  I just trust Dobbs intangibles to get the most out of his abilities like Tom Brady was able to get the most out of his abilities because of his elite intangibles. 

Yes, yes, yes. I love it, keep it up! :D

Now tell me how good Cameron Sutton is going to be too.

9 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Roquan Smith / LB / Georgia. Very good athlete. He has quick eyes. Impeccable character.

I like him, but I don’t think hes an ILB. He’s going to play WILL where he can scrape and run free. He isn’t very good against blockers, but is awesome in space and coverage.

He is pretty safe, though. At the very least, you’re getting an elite cover linebacker. Also he’s a great leader and a tough kid. 

21 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Here’s a thread about Chance Warmack I found on the old board whilst he was a draft prospect.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=514232

@TheVillain112 Nostradamus:

TheVillain112
shonuff-1_zpsf1aebb71.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject:  Reply with quote

Mike Mayock wrote:
Chance Warmack can go #1 overall in the draft

I would say Titans at #10...

11 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Whenever I see "most safe bet sure thing", I immediately think of these two guys:

dd44d851024c7f05e60e6a70670010f5.jpg

Robert Gallery

AND

ncf_g_acurry1_576.jpg

Aaron Curry

And as a result I don't ever consider anything to truly be 'safe'.

You can probably add AJ Hawk to that list as well. While he had an okay career, I think it was well below the floor that most people had him projected for.  But I do remember a lot of people thinking he was the safest pick in that draft as well (not on here - I wasn't on the board at the time, I just mean in the general consensus)

18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yes, yes, yes. I love it, keep it up! :D

Now tell me how good Cameron Sutton is going to be too.

Cam Sutton = Eric Allen (90s CB for the Eagles, Saints, and Raiders)

Similar body types.  Similar skill sets.  Similar work ethic.  If you read up on Eric Allen, you'll learn that he was a student of the game.  He watched lots of film and knew what his opponent were always going to do.  His natural ability was good but it was this level of preparation that made him special.  Cam Sutton is the exact same way.  He's got good natural ability but what will make him special is his work ethic.  The guy watches film incessantly.  There was a story that came out after the draft where the Steelers coaches had an interview with him and he brought up a play he made in a game so they pulled up the film of that game.  As he was breaking down the play, he not only knew his responsibility on the particular play but also the responsibilities of all of his teammates on defense.   The coaches thought that he memorized this for just that one play so they tried to stump him by randomly pulling up another play from that same game and asked him what the call was on this particular play and what the responsibilities of his teammates were.  He broke down that play as well.   It was this impressive interview that led the Steelers to draft him.

Cam Sutton is not the most physically gifted corner.  But he's incredibly intelligent, a tireless worker, and has great instincts.  These attributes will make him a really good player in the NFL for a long time.  And FTR, I was also high on James Conner (he was my #2 RB after Alvin Kamara) and JuJu Smith-Schuster (my #2 WR after Corey Davis).  IMO the Steelers hit it out of the park with the 2017 Draft.  I even liked some of the late round picks like Keion Adams. 

12 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I like him, but I don’t think hes an ILB. He’s going to play WILL where he can scrape and run free. He isn’t very good against blockers, but is awesome in space and coverage.

He is pretty safe, though. At the very least, you’re getting an elite cover linebacker. Also he’s a great leader and a tough kid. 

I love me some Roquan. I'll take him all day every day for the 49ers at 10. We could use a WILL (I agree that is his likely spot in the NFL) to pair with Foster. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I love me some Roquan. I'll take him all day every day for the 49ers at 10. We could use a WILL (I agree that is his likely spot in the NFL) to pair with Foster. 

No.no.  He needs to fall to the Steelers :D

6 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Look up Benjamin Solak on Twitter. A dude I follow. He has a GIF of Roquan in coverage from yesterday that is insane. I'll post it here tonight in the LB thread.

I love how he baits the QB to throw it into the flats when he’s manned up on the RB. Then he closed like a missile and doesn’t miss tackles. He’s perfect as the scraper and chaser. Bad fit for an inside thumper. 

18 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think nowadays that’s outdated.You don’t need to be able to take on blockers mono y mono. It’s about getting there before the blocker and he certainly has the instincts and speed to get there. He can be an ILB, like Deion Jones is. Heck look at Shazier

Archived