Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

How much was Ron still involved with you guys? Any chance he becomes an advisor here? We’ve been trying to hire him for like 20 years. 

Ron still dabbles from time to time and Thompson would invite him to training camp to comment on the roster

Ron also was involved in some QB searches, consulting with other teams

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

How much was Ron still involved with you guys? Any chance he becomes an advisor here? We’ve been trying to hire him for like 20 years. 

Ron's been retired for yrs. By "involved" I guess you can say that damn near every high level exec they've had the last 20'ish yrs are guys that Wolf hired during his time in GB and they just continued his legacy. Ted Thompson, John Schneider, John Dorsey, Reggie McKenzie, Scot Mcloughan, Gutekunst, Eliot Wolf, Highsmith, etc etc. These are all guys Ron Wolf brought in and they learned under him in the 90's

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Ron still dabbles from time to time and Thompson would invite him to training camp to comment on the roster

Ron also was involved in some QB searches, consulting with other teams

Oh yeah, they do have Ron come yearly for a day or 2 to watch training camp and they talk to him/media speaks to him a bit. Forgot about that lol

27 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

everyone start tweeting at him:

https://twitter.com/MccloughanScot

he may actually take it to heart.

He was involved in some litigation with the Redskins over his recent firing . Not sure if that's all settled or not

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/11/scot-mccloughan-redskins-hold-grievance-hearing-ov/

He'd be a HUGE win for GB front office and Gutekunst mentioned his tremendous mentorship during his intro presser. Very well-thought of in GB

12 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I would say he and the Packers will not be on each others Christmas card list for a while .. he's butt hurt over his son not getting the Packers GM gig.  I would think he'd be available for the Brown to hire in a consulting role if they so choose.

2 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

I would have rather retained Wolf or Highsmith over Ball tbh

Not me. The guy is practically a magician with how well he handles the money in GB. Losing Wolf and Highsmith hurts a bit but it’s no different then losing Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie before. We survived losing them and we’ll survive now. There are countless young scouts just waiting to move up the chain. Finding a guy like Ball to handle the money as well as he does would be a bit harder I feel. 

26 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Not me. The guy is practically a magician with how well he handles the money in GB. Losing Wolf and Highsmith hurts a bit but it’s no different then losing Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie before. We survived losing them and we’ll survive now. There are countless young scouts just waiting to move up the chain. Finding a guy like Ball to handle the money as well as he does would be a bit harder I feel. 

Thats a serious drain of talent there though. I dont keep up with the comings/goings of other teams personnel guys - but GBs not the biggest fish in the sea - so when we lose our bigger fish to others.......we need to keep recharging those batteries.

A word or two on Russ Ball for ugLymayNe

This reminds me of a business back in my youth. There was a guy whose job was to bring in new business. He wandered in and out of the office at odd times. He would often be going off to lunches with clients etc. He would have long friendly phone chats with a wide nework of business people. He never seemsed rushed or pressured. The business worked well and flourished.

Then some idiot further up the food chain decided they no longer needed that guy. They found out, far too late, that no-one could replace his charm, his contacts, his expertise, his effectiveness. New business slowed to almost nothing, and after a while the business went under. They didn't appreciate the crucial role this guy fulfilled, and paid the ultimate price.

When things are working well, it can be hard to forsee how badly they might go wrong, with a poorer choice at the helm. If you had (for example) Carmen Policy mnaging your cap (like he did the 49ers many years back), then say hello to continually pushing your debts into the future to pay guys now. When Carmen was kicked out of the 49ers, they were in terrible cap shape. Just like debts on a credit card can build up to horrific levels, so it is with cap management.

If you have a guy like Ball who even the agents like, a guy who is a tireless worker, successful in whatever he turns his hand to, and a people person, you do everything in your power to keep him. Excellence is always, always, always, rare.

32 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Well one thing was that when we lost McKenzie, Schneider and Dorsey we had up and comers like Wolf and Gutekunst. Now what

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

Well one thing was that when we lost McKenzie, Schneider and Dorsey we had up and comers like Wolf and Gutekunst. Now what

Who says we don't have up and comers behind Wolf and Gute? Let me ask you, had you ever heard of Gute or Highsmith before those three left? Doubt it. And only reason anyone heard of Wolf was his last name.

Archived