Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Before the Redskins, McCloughan ran a draft consulting business. Obviously more than one team could hire him and I assume would receive scouting reports. It looks like the Browns gave him enough cash to be exclusive ? Smart move

Dorsey might have more confidence in McCloughan in identifying talent than the previous CLE scouting department.  Dorsey may be using the CLE staff reports and McCloughan to see how well they stack up and to identify what scouting department personnel to keep on.  

3 hours ago, cannondale said:

Before the Redskins, McCloughan ran a draft consulting business. Obviously more than one team could hire him and I assume would receive scouting reports. It looks like the Browns gave him enough cash to be exclusive ? Smart move

Ding Ding Ding

On 2/9/2018 at 6:22 AM, packfanfb said:

Hopefully Gute is better at convincing free agents to come here than he is executives. 0 for 2 now with Wolf and McCloughan.

Wolf wasn't going to stick around unless he got the GM gig.  It's either him or Gute.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:
On 2/9/2018 at 6:22 AM, packfanfb said:

Hopefully Gute is better at convincing free agents to come here than he is executives. 0 for 2 now with Wolf and McCloughan.

Wolf wasn't going to stick around unless he got the GM gig.  It's either him or Gute.

And do we even know that Gute tried brining in McGloughan? Or was it just fans wanting him and then assuming Gute did as well. 

It is also possible that McGloughan comes to GB after the draft. He is just there through the draft...for now. I also wonder if the former San Fran GM might be an option to add to our front office after the draft. One or two will need to be added.

9 hours ago, Pilprin said:

It is also possible that McGloughan comes to GB after the draft. He is just there through the draft...for now. I also wonder if the former San Fran GM might be an option to add to our front office after the draft. One or two will need to be added.

After Baalke made a power play against Jim Harbaugh, causing a successful coach to leave the 49ers, I'm not sure I'd want him in the Packers org.

Ted Thompson was acquired by the Packers, due to fallout from a similar power play at Seattle, between GM Bob Whisitt and Mike Holmgren (Whitsitt was fired the next day). That stuff can tear a team apart.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the other "rules" under the previous regime was that the Packers never commented on their thinking or shot down some of the hot take rumors that used GB solely for leverage purposes. I wonder how Gute will handle those "Steven Jackson-type situations" where Schefter says the Packers are an option even though they really weren't. 

Will he stay quiet and let the agents/media say whatever they want without a response - or will he offer some commentary and insight ?

So much we don't know about this guy and his way of doing business in the business of the NFL

25 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

One of the other "rules" under the previous regime was that the Packers never commented on their thinking or shot down some of the hot take rumors that used GB solely for leverage purposes. I wonder how Gute will handle those "Steven Jackson-type situations" where Schefter says the Packers are an option even though they really weren't. 

Will he stay quiet and let the agents/media say whatever they want without a response - or will he offer some commentary and insight ?

So much we don't know about this guy and his way of doing business in the business of the NFL

Thats because he a "new" GM....and we're hoping the "and improved" portion comes with it. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived