Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Me too.  And if Gute adds another pass rusher both Clay and Nick will be more effective.

We had Peppers and our defence still sucked which is why i'm championing for a change to our defensive system rather than more of the same.

Introduce the 4-3 under defence, draft a pass rusher early and then gradually transition Matthews into a no.3 situational pass rusher like we did with Peppers. That way a change of scenery and retaining our depth and quality may be the best way to go.

Well, it's looking like Eliot Wolf is on his way out, but he had been given a strong offer to remain in Green Bay with the promise of additional college scouting opportunities.  This is clearly Eliot's weakness .. he's spend the majority of his time on the pro scouting side, and teams really want their GM's to be draft experts first and foremost.  I think that's why he keeps getting beaten out for GM jobs around the league.  I hope he decides to stay .. seems like BG thinks very highly of him, but I also don't care to hear the yearly reports that Eliot is interviewing all around the league. 

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/08/packers-prepared-if-eliot-wolf-decides-move/1015467001/

2 hours ago, Chili said:

i don't think its as simple as that. We need to be able to trust him that he has overcome his alcoholic problems. If he goes off the reservation again then that will have major ripple effects throughout the organisation especially during draft time. You're only as strong as the weakest link yada yada. I think the Packers will prefer to use him as a consultant through his scouting service and can cut ties anytime they want.

Its more likely we would promote from within if Wolf leaves.

That's fine. Just want him eye for talent.

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

My guy, if you had admitted you were wrong about Matthews in the many occasions you were defending him and publicly bashing anyone who thought otherwise, then I wouldn't keep poking fun at you for it. 

If I had missed where you admitted that recently, then my bad. You just admitted as much in that post, and that's honestly very refreshing to see around here. A lot of people stubbornly die on hills with their takes, it's always good to see when people can admit they were wrong. 

Now, if only we can get everyone to realize Mike McCarthy isn't an "elite" football guy. @incognito_man-_-

And now you @ me with nonsense. I can see why @HorizontoZenith went off. :)

MM is elite. It's very clear. I can't even fathom how anyone could start to argue that point.

34 minutes ago, persiandud said:

A stud pass rusher is a must! It's somewhat refreshing that we're picking at #14. We're all used to seeing good pass rushing talent fall off the board before we pick. I've been watching some tape of edge rushers. I think we can cross off Bradley Chubb as a possibility, he's a lock top ten pick. Arden Key, maybe? What do you guys think ?

We have the fire power to get who we want. If he's our guy go get him. I want this to be a qaulity over quantity draft. Ted loved a lot of bodies screw that,  i wouldn't care if we didnt pick after the 5th. After the 5th Ted was just throwing darts at the board. 

An "evolution inflection".......

" Franchises need to evolve, and that is harder in places that have been set in their ways and experienced a level of success as in Green Bay. The Packers haven’t really had an evolution inflection since the move from Favre to Rodgers a decade ago. Now there is a new leader on the football side and a new reporting structure. Time will tell if there is a different tone inside 1265 Lombardi Avenue, a place where change usually looks like more of the same"

Andrew Brandt

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I just don't see the benefit, it will be a lateral move. GM candidates come from winning teams, who has a chance to be better in 2018, Browns or Packers?

I think there is a lot less pressure going to another situation for Elliot. I think the Pack actually did him a favor by NOT selecting him as the GM at this time. If he became the GM of the Pack, he would have expectations of replacing TT and his father. One set of those shoes is enough to try to fill successfully, much less two pair of shoes in your first gig at 35 years old and less experience then any of your current work associates. Once he gets over his feelings getting hurt, he may want to say thank you to Murphy for passing him by at this moment in time.

Dorsey has a lot tools to work in Cleveland to turn that around in quick order, minus a real QB however. That said, Rosen has a heckuva arm- love that prospect a lot. Just hope he gets a decent football coach and assistant to mold him into a pro. Dorsey also has a lot of nice picks coming up and a lot cap space to buy some immediate help. Hooking onto that potential is not a bad idea for a 35 year old up and coming executive that needs more seasoning to be a good GM candidate IMO.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

And the final point... For every Whitworth, there are three Vernons.  For every Campbell, there are three Haynesworths.  You want to take that risk?  Because one bad one means you're unable to sign even the Julius Peppers or Ahmad Brooks of the NFL. 

Just ask the Saints how first week free agency overuse helped them from their Super Bowl win to now.  How many times have they made the playoffs by overusing it?  Two years after stopping, and they've got a hell of a shot at a Super Bowl win. 

Man, I wanted Campbell bad.  To be fair, I've watched him this year and marveled at what he has done and even daydreamed a little about how he would have looked on our team.  And I've been known to think careless thoughts about the salary cap in regards to acquiring talent.

But even to me, his contract was in no way, shape or form, doable for GB at the time.  I didn't see Haynesworth like bust potential in Campbell, he'd done it too long, but man, GB was not in a position to afford that man.

Great example of how free agency can look after the fact.

40 minutes ago, St Vince said:

We have the fire power to get who we want. If he's our guy go get him. I want this to be a qaulity over quantity draft. Ted loved a lot of bodies screw that,  i wouldn't care if we didnt pick after the 5th. After the 5th Ted was just throwing darts at the board. 

I like staying at #14, but then using that firepower (picks) to move around rounds 2, 3 and 4 to get the guys that best fit what they want to do.  

Just now, vegas492 said:

I like staying at #14, but then using that firepower (picks) to move around rounds 2, 3 and 4 to get the guys that best fit what they want to do.  

Especially considering that we will most likely have our pick of pass rushers outside of Chubb in the first round anyway. Use that extra draft capital to make sure you get your guy in the next few rounds. 

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Well, it's looking like Eliot Wolf is on his way out, but he had been given a strong offer to remain in Green Bay with the promise of additional college scouting opportunities.  This is clearly Eliot's weakness .. he's spend the majority of his time on the pro scouting side, and teams really want their GM's to be draft experts first and foremost.  I think that's why he keeps getting beaten out for GM jobs around the league.  I hope he decides to stay .. seems like BG thinks very highly of him, but I also don't care to hear the yearly reports that Eliot is interviewing all around the league. 

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/08/packers-prepared-if-eliot-wolf-decides-move/1015467001/

So wolf wants to work on the college side? This would make me feel a lot less excited about the browns hiring him. 

26 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Especially considering that we will most likely have our pick of pass rushers outside of Chubb in the first round anyway. Use that extra draft capital to make sure you get your guy in the next few rounds. 

Yes...that and moving up in round one usually costs a pretty penny, compared to moving up in other rounds.

Heck, last year GB had 4 picks that didn't make the roster, highlighted by a questionable 5'th round pick in Yancey.

I'd rather they not go that route this year.  Quality over quantity.  GB doesn't need to add 7-10 rookies to that roster.  What they need is 5 contributing rookies and 3-4 free agents.  (Not top tier, but mid tier types)

Was bogged down at work yesterday so I missed the action, but two things:

1. The most telling thing maybe of this whole process is how ready everyone, not just fans, were for a change from TT. When the first 30 news reports from Gute's press conference all focus and emphasize some connotation of him saying he'll use "every avenue" to build the team,  you can tell how thirsty the GB faithful are for a new approach, a more aggressive approach.

2. My 2 cents on the power structure change is simply "stupid and unnecessary." That being said,  I don't really care about it as long as Murphy stays in his place and let's Gute be a GM, not just a director of personnel with a GM title. Bottom line is that if Gute does his job and acquires some talent this offseason and we still see the slow-starting, creep into the playoffs Packers, then MM should be done and Murphy shouldn't stand in Gute's way if he wants to make a change. 

Archived