Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:
3 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Maybe tampering isn't the right word. I mean is there any chance that the guy who was hired by the Texans kinda tipped Murphy off that he had better call him and give him the offer

GB knew where he was, it wasn't a secret. Hell, we all knew here :)

We all knew. What I am asking is if there was a chance that the consultant could have jeopardized his confidentiality... nevermind

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I just don't see the benefit, it will be a lateral move. GM candidates come from winning teams, who has a chance to be better in 2018, Browns or Packers?

I think it's more him being upset. If you look at the last 10 years and see the talent Green Bay has had hired away, compared to Cleveland...

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I just don't see the benefit, it will be a lateral move. GM candidates come from winning teams, who has a chance to be better in 2018, Browns or Packers?

Cleveland has no where to go but up.  Cleveland has a lot of draft picks, and some pretty good cap space.  They could turn things around in a few years if they can get the QB position sorted out.

Just now, squire12 said:

Cleveland has no where to go but up.  Cleveland has a lot of draft picks, and some pretty good cap space.  They could turn things around in a few years if they can get the QB position sorted out.

Wolf doesn't care about Cleveland, he has no play at their GM job. He wants to be somewhere that he'll be a hot commodity every off-season.

In GB he's guaranteed it, in CLE he only has it if Dorsey turns that thing around.

If he's too full of drama to see this, than let him go and he's clearly showing he's not ready to lead a team.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Wolf doesn't care about Cleveland, he has no play at their GM job. He wants to be somewhere that he'll be a hot commodity every off-season.

In GB he's guaranteed it, in CLE he only has it if Dorsey turns that thing around.

If he's too full of drama to see this, than let him go and he's clearly showing he's not ready to lead a team.

I don't get this at all.

Getting more experience in a different system is valuable for a young guy looking to grow. It's a no-brainer that he would want to join another strong leader in a different organization to gain (different) experience IMO. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were him.

He's taken everything he can from those above him in GB already.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't get this at all.

Getting more experience in a different system is valuable for a young guy looking to grow. It's a no-brainer that he would want to join another strong leader in a different organization to gain (different) experience IMO. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were him.

He's taken everything he can from those above him in GB already.

LIS, since their move back to CLE the Browns have never had a personnel guy promoted elsewhere to GM.

If Wolf goes to CLE and they go 2-14 next year, no one is going to be sniffing around that FO for their GM candidates.

If he stays in GB and we make the playoffs, he'll be the same hot candidate.

He doesn't need to learn or grow anything to get a job, it's only a matter of time. If he goes to CLE and Dorsey can't turn them around, he's just wasting his time.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

LIS, since their move back to CLE the Browns have never had a personnel guy promoted elsewhere to GM.

If Wolf goes to CLE and they go 2-14 next year, no one is going to be sniffing around that FO for their GM candidates.

He doesn't need to learn or grow anything to get a job, it's only a matter of time. If he goes to CLE and Dorsey can't turn them around, he's just wasting his time.

That bolded is so what would prevent him from getting a job if that is his view on things. 

You never stop growing as a professional, Wolf has been on the pro personnel side of things, not sure he has much experience in the college scouting.  He needs to add that title and experience to his resume.  Whether that is in GB or Cleveland or anywhere for that matter is less important.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

fair take.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

That bolded is so what would prevent him from getting a job if that is his view on things. 

You never stop growing as a professional, Wolf has been on the pro personnel side of things, not sure he has much experience in the college scouting.  He needs to add that title and experience to his resume.  Whether that is in GB or Cleveland or anywhere for that matter is less important.

Obviously, I'm saying he will get a job, guaranteed if he stays in GB. Teams aren't sitting there saying "he needs to go to another teams and learn other ways of doing things." 

3 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Also, another reason I like the Gutekunst hire is it shows this is a meritocracy not nepotism.

We didn't want to accept mediocrity from the son of a GM who only won one SB.

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Agreed,

They have some pieces too. 

On O, with the right QB (which they can chose from 2 at #1) they could get solid as soon as next year. They  have talented weapons (Gordon, Coleman, Njoku) and a solid OL. 

The D is really bad, but Garret is a stud. Depending on what they do with #4 and their 2 high seconds, could get better.

Archived