Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Not saying this is not true, but my impression was that if Gut wanted to say sign a big-time free agent CB or OLBer and Ball says nope, can't afford it, that it will be Murphy who now makes the final decision.

Is that wrong, or has it been made clear that Gut has total control over the roster no matter the financial ramifications?

That is not what Murphy said during the press conference. Murphy said Brian had final say in this circumstance. That is the only reason I put it in my post.

As far as "no matter the financial ramifications".....if Ball thought Brian was about to throw a death sentence to the Packer financial structure, which would go completely against his prior training, I am pretty sure that evidence would then be brought before Murphy by Ball for evaluation. But based on the presser yesterday, if there was a difference in opinion on free agent acquisitions between Brian and Russ, Murphy mentioned the final say belonged to the GM.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

MM is elite. It's very clear. I can't even fathom how anyone could start to argue that point.

It's not clear, at all. I don't understand how anyone could argue it is. 

New Orleans OC from 2000-2004. New Orleans would finish 10th, 13th, 3rd in 2002, 14th, and 14th in points scored. Pretty good! He was also named the NFC assistant coach of the year in 2000. 

Would go on to be OC of the 49ers in 2005 where they finished dead last in yardage, 30th in points, and he banged on the table to draft Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers. Not very elite, but he was only there for one year. 

http://lastwordonprofootball.com/2017/11/07/mike-mccarthy-isnt-elite-nfl-head-coach-without-aaron-rodgers/

this article makes a lot of the same points I'd make about MM in GB. I'm curious to know what others think about him. 

13 minutes ago, persiandud said:

It's not clear, at all. I don't understand how anyone could argue it is. 

New Orleans OC from 2000-2004. New Orleans would finish 10th, 13th, 3rd in 2002, 14th, and 14th in points scored. Pretty good! He was also named the NFC assistant coach of the year in 2000. 

Would go on to be OC of the 49ers in 2005 where they finished dead last in yardage, 30th in points, and he banged on the table to draft Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers. Not very elite, but he was only there for one year. 

http://lastwordonprofootball.com/2017/11/07/mike-mccarthy-isnt-elite-nfl-head-coach-without-aaron-rodgers/

this article makes a lot of the same points I'd make about MM in GB. I'm curious to know what others think about him. 

If interdemensional sports travel ever becomes a thing one of the first places I'd want to go is the one where AR12 goes to SF with the first pick and Alex Smith falls to the Packers. Always been curious how that would have worked out. 

10 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

If interdemensional sports travel ever becomes a thing one of the first places I'd want to go is the one where AR12 goes to SF with the first pick and Alex Smith falls to the Packers. Always been curious how that would have worked out. 

It would be really interesting to run some simulations on that one.  I'd want to see what would happen if GB got Ray Lewis instead of the Ravens snagging him one spot ahead of the Packers in 96

As far as the quoted article, I always like to look at the authors bio to get a sense of who they are. The guy who wrote that one is The Director of Sales Development for a concrete block producer in Minnesota. He writes like a blockhead, so that's fitting.

31 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

ditto

Smith had/has some real ability. If he had benefitted from Rodgers stability, he would have likely been really, really good too. Guy went through like 8 coordinator/coaches in his first 8 years or something.

3 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

if you read the rest of my post instead of just one section, you'd see the other argument I make which addresses your general opinion. regardless of your individual grades of the GB draft which are basically in a vaccuum, you are just making an underlying assumption that there are alot of GM's in that part of the draft performing better (than "C+" grades) without actually going and putting those GM's under the same scrutiny that you place GB to verify your assumption. the only below avg/bad drafts since 2010 are 2011 and 2015. everything else has been above-avg or good.

Funny that you mention his PFF grade but fail to mention that his grade makes him the 13th-highest center on their rankings. And that rank was consistent with his performance while in GB. Sorry, but that's starting-caliber for all intents and purposes. And 80% of OL drafted where he was do not become starters anyway, so that's a good value pick. Especially with the comp pick, which is not something most 4th-rounders bring

Hyde was a solid contributor in the 2-deep basically since his rookie year, and provided a decent stopgap when filling in for injured starters. That's great for a late-5th rounder. The guy played almost 2600 snaps for GB, not counting special teams. 85% of DB's taken that point of the draft don't become regular starters, so that's not really saying anything. And even from the 15% that do, probably a decent portion of them aren't considered "good" by their fanbase.

I think about half the players taken 5th-round or later get cut before their rookie deals are up, much less earn significant playing time, much less become a solid piece of the 2-deep. And he was at that level basically every year of his rookie deal and will award GB a comp pick so he was basically free. Great value.

I know this is all over the board but;

-We've drafted 1 multiple year pro bowler in 8 years (Casey Hayward, who didn't get either on this team, which is also an internal failure). I don't like using the standard of "Hey, we got 2 starters, 2 is average to above, they are fine.", or "Using this game snap count stat, we had an above average draft." Watch the games. I feel like there has been a culture created of giving too much love to the players who maxed out as "just guys"ie: the JC Trettor, Center #13th (so average starter) of the world. 

-It is nice we've had a couple late round picks pan out. So does every team. That isn't special.

-Yeah, we haven't had high picks, but since 2010, the only high end player that was drafted by GB that has been a high end player for us is D Bak. Take out AR, we're a 4 win team.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Video-Brian-Gutekunst-shares-thoughts-on-current-Packers-roster-113451221

-listening to Gute, it is disappointing. It really does seem like status quo. We'll keep the same methodology in FA, seems like we are still going to have the accumulate picks and just keep having as many dart throws as we can.

7 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Professionally speaking... Wolf would be a fool not to go to Oakland

I dont know.....being the right hand man to GM Gute versus GM Reggie is still being the right hand man.

Now - I'm sure it would come with a bump up in pay - so, theres always that - but I'm not all bent out of shape that Wolf didnt get selected. The guys in his mid 30's and although I'm sure good at what he's been doing - his "portfolio" is limited still. As for his Dad mouthing off - well thats what parents do.

Just now, Leader said:

I dont know.....being the right hand man to GM Gute versus GM Reggie is still being the right hand man.

Now - I'm sure it would come with a bump up in pay - so, theres always that - but I'm not all bent out of shape that Wolf didnt get selected. The guys in his mid 30's and although I'm sure good at what he's been doing - his "portfolio" is limited still.

I personally am glad we didn't go with Wolf. Like you said, he's limited. Getting to continue to grow under McKenzie AND Gruden is an opportunity that is far and few between. When he is being interviewed in the future for that GM role.. OAKs structure will look a lot better on paper.

35 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Professionally speaking... Wolf would be a fool not to go to Oakland

He has a young kid.  Gotta look at where he would like his child to be raised.

Just a guess here, but he will take interviews and parlay them into another promotion in GB along with another pay increase.

Archived