Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Was bogged down at work yesterday so I missed the action, but two things:

1. The most telling thing maybe of this whole process is how ready everyone, not just fans, were for a change from TT. When the first 30 news reports from Gute's press conference all focus and emphasize some connotation of him saying he'll use "every avenue" to build the team,  you can tell how thirsty the GB faithful are for a new approach, a more aggressive approach.

2. My 2 cents on the power structure change is simply "stupid and unnecessary." That being said,  I don't really care about it as long as Murphy stays in his place and let's Gute be a GM, not just a director of personnel with a GM title. Bottom line is that if Gute does his job and acquires some talent this offseason and we still see the slow-starting, creep into the playoffs Packers, then MM should be done and Murphy shouldn't stand in Gute's way if he wants to make a change. 

Yep .. it was time to move on from Thompson .. probably should have done it a few years ago.  The scouts were frustrated with the Thompson way .. and the Coach and players were also ready for new leadership at the top.  Communication had become a real issue apparently.  

As for the power structure .. not a big fan, but one of the articles said this is how the Steelers have been doing things since 1992.  If it's worked for them it could work for us.  Murphy is putting himself on the line as well for the first time as Packers Pres.   Lets hope it works and helps bring back a title.

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Was bogged down at work yesterday so I missed the action, but two things:

1. The most telling thing maybe of this whole process is how ready everyone, not just fans, were for a change from TT. When the first 30 news reports from Gute's press conference all focus and emphasize some connotation of him saying he'll use "every avenue" to build the team,  you can tell how thirsty the GB faithful are for a new approach, a more aggressive approach.

2. My 2 cents on the power structure change is simply "stupid and unnecessary." That being said,  I don't really care about it as long as Murphy stays in his place and let's Gute be a GM, not just a director of personnel with a GM title. Bottom line is that if Gute does his job and acquires some talent this offseason and we still see the slow-starting, creep into the playoffs Packers, then MM should be done and Murphy shouldn't stand in Gute's way if he wants to make a change. 

I believe the change is the reporting structure is short term. Russ Ball and MM both have quite a few years over the Gute. Give Brian sometime to get into his role and then I believe he will be the more influential voice in that structure and will likely take back the head coach and player finance under his title. Put it this way, if there is a current disagreement on player cost, Gute already has the final say on this over Ball. If MM does not coach his butt off next year and get good results, do you really think Murphy will not listen to Gute if he believes it is time for a new coach? LIS, I think this is short term and in the short term will allow things to start moving ahead smoother. In the long term, IMP, you really want your GM to handle all things football within the organization.

5 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

dismiss the entire argument that is generally true, that we haven’t really had had a golden standard personnel department

if you read the rest of my post instead of just one section, you'd see the other argument I make which addresses your general opinion. regardless of your individual grades of the GB draft which are basically in a vaccuum, you are just making an underlying assumption that there are alot of GM's in that part of the draft performing better (than "C+" grades) without actually going and putting those GM's under the same scrutiny that you place GB to verify your assumption. the only below avg/bad drafts since 2010 are 2011 and 2015. everything else has been above-avg or good.

Tretter was also like a 70 on pff too this year, not really anything more than a quality backup

Funny that you mention his PFF grade but fail to mention that his grade makes him the 13th-highest center on their rankings. And that rank was consistent with his performance while in GB. Sorry, but that's starting-caliber for all intents and purposes. And 80% of OL drafted where he was do not become starters anyway, so that's a good value pick. Especially with the comp pick, which is not something most 4th-rounders bring

Hyde one year, let’s see it again

Hyde was a solid contributor in the 2-deep basically since his rookie year, and provided a decent stopgap when filling in for injured starters. That's great for a late-5th rounder. The guy played almost 2600 snaps for GB, not counting special teams. 85% of DB's taken that point of the draft don't become regular starters, so that's not really saying anything. And even from the 15% that do, probably a decent portion of them aren't considered "good" by their fanbase.

I think about half the players taken 5th-round or later get cut before their rookie deals are up, much less earn significant playing time, much less become a solid piece of the 2-deep. And he was at that level basically every year of his rookie deal and will award GB a comp pick so he was basically free. Great value.

1 hour ago, PackFan4Life said:

Put it this way, if there is a current disagreement on player cost, Gute already has the final say on this over Ball. 

Not saying this is not true, but my impression was that if Gut wanted to say sign a big-time free agent CB or OLBer and Ball says nope, can't afford it, that it will be Murphy who now makes the final decision.

Is that wrong, or has it been made clear that Gut has total control over the roster no matter the financial ramifications?

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

But your son thought to Ron... your son thought to.?

35 year old Ron would've jumped at the interview. Retired HOF Ron would be insulted. It's all perspective. I guarantee you if we lured away someone like Schneider, Dorsey or McKenzie this wouldn't have occurred. 

This would bother me if I didn't like our HC, but I have no issues with Mac. I do hope that when Murphy retires that this power is given back to Gute, or the acting GM at the time.

23 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Not saying this is not true, but my impression was that if Gut wanted to say sign a big-time free agent CB or OLBer and Ball says nope, can't afford it, that it will be Murphy who now makes the final decision.

Is that wrong, or has it been made clear that Gut has total control over the roster no matter the financial ramifications?

My hope at least is that is wrong. I mean if Gute can't fire/hire the coach and also would have to get approval from the numbers guy on signing a FA, who in the hell would even want that job at that point? I understood it as Gute will have complete, 100% control over the roster which is how it should be. 

49 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Murphy did say he didn't want to micromanage, he wanted to get the best guy he could, and then let the elected guy get on with his job. The way Ted operated, he gave Ball the ceiling figure and then let Ball do his thing. If the situation you describe were to come up, I'd say Gute and Ball would generally work it out between themselves, maybe with added input from McCarthy to help their decision. If there was still an impasse, neither side wanting to give, then Murphy might be the tiebreaker. judge.gif

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Murphy did say he didn't want to micromanage, he wanted to get the best guy he could, and then let the elected guy get on with his job. The way Ted operated, he gave Ball the ceiling figure and then let Ball do his thing. If the situation you describe were to come up, I'd say Gute and Ball would generally work it out between themselves, maybe with added input from McCarthy to help their decision. If there was still an impasse, neither side wanting to give, then Murphy might be the tiebreaker.

Exactly. They'll work it out. Trust in people....people! LOL TT was slowing down....becoming less and less communcative (and he started out at Monk-ish on a vow of silence levels....) so now people will work together to get the job(s) done. It will be fine.   :)

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

35 year old Ron would've jumped at the interview. Retired HOF Ron would be insulted. It's all perspective. I guarantee you if we lured away someone like Schneider, Dorsey or McKenzie this wouldn't have occurred. 

This would bother me if I didn't like our HC, but I have no issues with Mac. I do hope that when Murphy retires that this power is given back to Gute, or the acting GM at the time.

No I get it... it’s a matter of where they are at in their careers. Mike McCarthy holds more weight then Eliot too.

I just think it’s funny because I’m sure Eliot discusses with his dad this stuff and if that’s such a deal breaker Eliot wouldn’t of even interviewed.

its sour grapes... which I get. They blocked him 3 times from a GM interview and promoted him 3 times. I’m sure they even told him you’re the future at points during that process. He has a right to be upset.

Archived