Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

Murphy doesn't have much more control than he did before...it was merely an acceptable accommodation and evolution of the roles

During the search, one of the things they uncovered was that putting all of those roles on to one man was simply too much. That came about as part of the TT transition planning. They wanted to see which jobs he wanted, which ones he didn't to craft a new role for him in GB. And as a part of that assessment they realized that TT's title:  Executive Vice President + General Manager + Director of Football Operations is just too much for any one guy in the modern NFL

So they were always going to split this job among 2-3 people after the results of their discussions and review. (That's likely why some of the reporters got the "Ball is the GM ! news wrong. He did get promoted, just not to GM. )

Now all those responsibilities are split between Ball and Gute and rather than having one guy report to the other, they had them report up to Murphy

On the MM side, its easy enough having him report to TT who hired him, but both Gute and Ball are younger and less accomplished than our highly successful NFL coach, so that would be kinda weird on the reporting side. MM and TT were closer to peers, while Gute and Ball were a step below on the org chart.

By all reports, MM and Gutekunst are sympatico and that's what really matters most

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I think the change came from Mac, not Murphy. Don't look at it from a Murphy gets to hire/fire, but as everytime Ball and Gute meet with Murphy, Mac will be present now too. I think he was frustrated of not having a guaranteed seat at the big boys table.

which makes complete sense as @Shanedorf pointed out. MM is an elite football guy in the league who could demand (and get) more power than he had (has) in GB if he really wanted it on the open market. I have zero problem giving him equal footing w/ Gute and Ball in the franchise decision making process. MM is more than just a great coach at this point IMO. No need to overload his duties, but he's earned a spot at the table fo sho.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

which makes complete sense as @Shanedorf pointed out. MM is an elite football guy in the league who could demand (and get) more power than he had (has) in GB if he really wanted it on the open market. I have zero problem giving him equal footing w/ Gute and Ball in the franchise decision making process. MM is more than just a great coach at this point IMO. No need to overload his duties, but he's earned a spot at the table fo sho.

I just don’t like the idea of 3 people having what appears as “equal” say. If they all work well together than it’s no biggie, but there is concern now with multiple reports that 2 of the 3 have a damaged relationship (that has formed over the past several years).

It may not be anything but it could also be a disaster. I’m hopefully  McCarthy and Ball can make it work. I’m not really worried about Gutekunst.

I just watched the Gutekunst presser, and I am excited we went with him. I think he will bring a nice balance between draft and develop and FAs. I don't expect it to be blockbusters but maybe even some blue chippers that add great depth and push us forward. 

I'm willing to give the power structure a chance. Murphy doesn't seem unreasonable, or a power tyrant. I think he is honest when he talks about some of what he learned and realized by going in this direction. I believe he has been thinking about this for awhile, as he says. My guess is 2014. I think these guys can work together, and i'm optimistic that Wolf stays too. I think maybe reports were darker than needed to be. It's a business of egos, but these guys know it takes more than one for success. Whether you are stoked or not, people have been calling for a shake up for awhile, and you got it. Might not be your dream, but I think we all need to give this a chance. 

For those questioning the quality of the 2013 draft class for GB.   Here are some figures.  CaV represents the "career approximate value"  from pro football reference.

CarAV - career approximate value. See the entry on AV. The Career AV is computed by summing 100% of the player's best-season AV, 95% of his second-best-season AV, 90% of his third best, and so on. The idea is that the Career AV rating should weight peak seasons slightly more than "compiler"-type seasons.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/career_av_career.htm

This is the total of the players drafted divided by the number of players.   So an average per player for that teams draft class.  

CaV per draft

NO 14.400
CAR 13.400
CHI 13.333
DAL 13.143
LAR/STL 13.000
DET 12.556
LAC/SD 12.167
GB 11.909
NYJ 11.429
PIT 10.556
JAX 10.000
ARI 9.889
PHI 9.625
TB 9.500
NE 9.286
KC 9.125
BUF 8.750
OAK 8.600
MIN 8.556
BAL 8.000
WAS 7.857
ATL 7.625
HOU 7.556
TEN 7.125
MIA 6.778
NYG 6.714
CIN 6.600
SF 6.455
DEN 5.286
IND 5.000
SEA 4.364
CLE 4.000

Considering where GB drafted relative to the other teams above them

GB picked 26

NO picked 15

CAR picked 14

CHI picked 20

DET picked 5

LAR picked 8

LAC picked 11

DAL picked 31 in round 1, but I believe they traded down from the mid teens.

I would say that was a pretty good draft by GB relative to the rest of the league

Forgive me if we've talked about this already, but I just want to get something straight...

So Mark hired the guy who is working with the Texans to find their GM. It's said that guy only works with one team, but Mark hired him as a consultant. 

So we interview Brian on friday. Then saturday he gets on a plane to Texas. In Brian's presser today he says that he was having dinner with the Texans and he didn't want to be rude and answer the phone, but it was buzzing. Mark then says that he didn't want to let Brian finish his full interview with the Texans which was on sunday. So Brian was hired basically at dinner with the Texans? Any chance there is some level of tampering?

6 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Forgive me if we've talked about this already, but I just want to get something straight...

So Mark hired the guy who is working with the Texans to find their GM. It's said that guy only works with one team, but Mark hired him as a consultant. 

So we interview Brian on friday. Then saturday he gets on a plane to Texas. In Brian's presser today he says that he was having dinner with the Texans and he didn't want to be rude and answer the phone, but it was buzzing. Mark then says that he didn't want to let Brian finish his full interview with the Texans which was on sunday. So Brian was hired basically at dinner with the Texans? Any chance there is some level of tampering?

Why is that tampering? Because they wanted to get him before Houston could? Nothing illegal about that afaik

7 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

No. How could it be tampering?Gute was free to interview.

Just now, incognito_man said:

No. How could it be tampering?Gute was free to interview.

2 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Why is that tampering? Because they wanted to get him before Houston could? Nothing illegal about that afaik

Maybe tampering isn't the right word. I mean is there any chance that the guy who was hired by the Texans kinda tipped Murphy off that he had better call him and give him the offer

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

Maybe tampering isn't the right word. I mean is there any chance that the guy who was hired by the Texans kinda tipped Murphy off that he had better call him and give him the offer

GB knew where he was, it wasn't a secret. Hell, we all knew here :)

Archived