Brian Gutekunst to become Packers GM

deltarich87

6 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Agreed,

They have some pieces too. 

On O, with the right QB (which they can chose from 2 at #1) they could get solid as soon as next year. They  have talented weapons (Gordon, Coleman, Njoku) and a solid OL. 

The D is really bad, but Garret is a stud. Depending on what they do with #4 and their 2 high seconds, could get better.

CLE should be able to add some pieces in FA and the draft.  $107M in space available in 2018 with picks 1.1, 1.4 and a few in the seconds (2.1, 2.3, 2.31) and 3.1

10 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Tons of teams would love to have GB’s 2013 draft class. I think your expectations are a bit skewed on what is typical, especially for teams drafting in the 20’s and 30’s

So you’re going to find one point in my argument that is debatable and dismiss the entire argument that is generally true, that we haven’t really had had a golden standard personnel department... nice

I also love people touting Hyde and Tretter like they were anything more than key back ups here. (Tretter was also like a 70 on pff too this year, not really anything more than a quality backup who starts because he plays for an 0-16 team... Hyde one year, let’s see it again)

7 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

I’d like Wolf to stay but if he leaves just hire Scot G. McCloughan to replace him and keep this truck rolling.

i don't think its as simple as that. We need to be able to trust him that he has overcome his alcoholic problems. If he goes off the reservation again then that will have major ripple effects throughout the organisation especially during draft time. You're only as strong as the weakest link yada yada. I think the Packers will prefer to use him as a consultant through his scouting service and can cut ties anytime they want.

Its more likely we would promote from within if Wolf leaves.

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

Google "Why Dorsey fired"

He doesn't play well with others. allegedly

I saw the signs of this when he was with the Packers, being interviewed by the press. The careless way he blew them off sent a strong signal (to me, anyway) that he might be tough to live with as a top dog.

I remember a boss of mine (going back a while) who told the guys he managed he wasn't interested in them, "I manage upwards" was his quote. He eventually became head of operations and then ripped the company apart - a poisonous human being (knew he was a turd when he first arrived, I shook hands with him and he went for the crushing handshake).

I feel like Wolf is a whiner.  If you're 35 years old and you don't get the job and you leave, I think you're a whiner.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think there are many 35-year-old GMs in the entire league or in league history, and I  think Wolf has a little bit of a personality disorder and entitlement.  I'm just glad he didn't get the job. 

39 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I feel like Wolf is a whiner.  If you're 35 years old and you don't get the job and you leave, I think you're a whiner.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't think there are many 35-year-old GMs in the entire league or in league history, and I  think Wolf has a little bit of a personality disorder and entitlement.  I'm just glad he didn't get the job. 

That last name probably made him think he’d get it and when he didn’t, it hurt his ego. Just assuming on that but if he leaves, then it’s pretty obvious his feelings got hurt. 

39 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Hate doing this....

Know a couple guys that went to Highschool with him, dated a friend of his wife. They all say he is a great guy. 

Part of me thinks if Wolf leaves it’s to get experiences else where. Probably knows Dorsey very well and wants the experience and chance to build a team from the ground up. 

Side Note: Cleveland the city is actually pretty cool. Lots of good food. 

15 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I will always be against free agency for the first two weeks of free agency.  Always.  99 times out of 100 you are overpaying and you are not getting your money's worth.  People here are going to be in for a very rude awakening.  Either we are going to continue NOT signing the free agents they want us to, or we are going to sign those free agents and we still aren't going to win Super Bowls.

Super Bowls aren't won by first two weeks of free agency.  They're won by bargains in free agency, good drafting, and good management of a roster throughout the season. 

You see the great defense Jacksonville built using that formula? They got some critical pieces being aggressive the first two weeks. Plus they added good draft picks with those players. We got nothing out of our "bargains" Brooks, Dial, House. If we had the Jags defense we would win the next 4 Super bowls.

Just now, St Vince said:

You see the great defense Jacksonville built using that formula? They got some critical pieces being aggressive the first two weeks. Plus they added good draft picks with those players. We got nothing out of our "bargains" Brooks, Dial, House. If we had the Jags defense we would win the next 4 Super bowls.

Who do the Jaguars have to pay millions and millions of dollars to as a QB? 

Perspective.  Get it. 

Just now, persiandud said:

@HorizontoZenith, how was Andrew Whitworth a bad signing? He was selected as a first team All Pro

Don't quote me, don't @ me, don't anything me.  I don't like you, and I knew this post was aimed at me even though you're on my ignore list.  Consider me answering this question a final parting gift, and in the future don't ever respond to me, quote me or mention me because I won't answer anymore.

Whitworth was a good signing.  For the Rams.  Who don't have a second contract elite QB to pay that's coming up on a third contract.  If you think the Packers signing a 36 year old tackle to a three year, 33 million dollar deal in which he will cost a minimum of 6 million dead cap in his second year is a good idea, your place on my ignore list is warranted with that alone. 

We are not the Rams.  We are not the Jaguars.  We are a team that has the best QB of his time playing for us with one more year on his contract in an NFL where Mike Glennon got paid 15 million a year. 

And the final point... For every Whitworth, there are three Vernons.  For every Campbell, there are three Haynesworths.  You want to take that risk?  Because one bad one means you're unable to sign even the Julius Peppers or Ahmad Brooks of the NFL. 

Just ask the Saints how first week free agency overuse helped them from their Super Bowl win to now.  How many times have they made the playoffs by overusing it?  Two years after stopping, and they've got a hell of a shot at a Super Bowl win. 

Archived